Westbrook First Impressions of UConn WBB | The Boneyard

Westbrook First Impressions of UConn WBB

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The Courant this morning (6/25) had an article by Alex Putterman (where is Kelli Stacy??) where the main subject was the success of Crystal’s and Evina’s surgeries, but it had some comments at the end from Evina and Anna Makurat that the BY will be interested in:

Evina: “When you hear women’s basketball, the first thing that pops in your mind is UConn. They’re always winning, and they’re always one of the best teams at the end of th year. Coming here and seeing it first-hand, it makes omelette sense why that is. I’m really happy I made the decision that I did.”

While this is certainly flattering to her ooaches and new teammates, something doesn’t quite add up. If that is how she feels, why didn’t she come here out of high school? Did she not get an offer? Moreover, her final two were Tennessee and Notre Dame, and she picked Tennessee. Why on earth? If she is so impressed with winning records (recently) and similar basketball style to UConn, why wouldn’t she pick Notre Dame? There is something here that is not being said.

Anna: “The conditioning stuff and how hard we work, it’s much harder here. We work much harder here. But basketball, I think it’s pretty much the same level [as in Europe].”

Geno: “I don’t think Anna is going to take any amount of time to get acclimated. She’s kind of been playing away from home since she was 13. So there isn’t any kind of basketball system that she’s going to feel out of place in.”

What Anna said is actually the opposite of what I would have expected her to say. I would expect something to the effect that they work just as hard in Europe, but the skill level of her teammates here is higher. I guess the explanation for that is that she has been playing at a quasi-professional level in Europe, beyond what most high schoolers there or here would normally experience.

Reaction Score
The Courant this morning (6/25) had an article by Alex Putterman (where is Kelli Stacy??) where the main subject was the success of Crystal’s and Evina’s surgeries, but it had some comments at the end from Evina and Anna Makurat that the BY will be interested in:

Evina: “When you hear women’s basketball, the first thing that pops in your mind is UConn. They’re always winning, and they’re always one of the best teams at the end of th year. Coming here and seeing it first-hand, it makes omelette sense why that is. I’m really happy I made the decision that I did.”

While this is certainly flattering to her ooaches and new teammates, something doesn’t quite add up. If that is how she feels, why didn’t she come here out of high school? Did she not get an offer? Moreover, her final two were Tennessee and Notre Dame, and she picked Tennessee. Why on earth? If she is so impressed with winning records (recently) and similar basketball style to UConn, why wouldn’t she pick Notre Dame? There is something here that is not being said.

Anna: “The conditioning stuff and how hard we work, it’s much harder here. We work much harder here. But basketball, I think it’s pretty much the same level [as in Europe].”

Geno: “I don’t think Anna is going to take any amount of time to get acclimated. She’s kind of been playing away from home since she was 13. So there isn’t any kind of basketball system that she’s going to feel out of place in.”

What Anna said is actually the opposite of what I would have expected her to say. I would expect something to the effect that they work just as hard in Europe, but the skill level of her teammates here is higher. I guess the explanation for that is that she has been playing at a quasi-professional level in Europe, beyond what most high schoolers there or here would normally experience.
When she was guarding Tiffany Hayes, it was a few steps above HS level play, and most college level play too.

Reaction Score

When she first committed to uconn, I remember reading in an article that Westbrook asked Geno why he didn't go after her harder when she was in high school.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I love reading stuff like about kids transferring in. I'm very glad for Ania (or is it Anna - I thought it was Ania but... Geno called her Anna) that the basketball skill level at UCONN (college) is about equivalent to he pro leagues she was playing in. Impressive.

As for Evina, she really hasn't gotten a taste of the coaching yet - just playing a bit (if she can at all) and hanging out with the team. I'll be very curious to hear what she says about how Geno and the staff coach her vs. what she got while at Tennessee.

Best wishes to Crystal and Evina for a quick and complete rehab. I sure hope she's not only fully 100% healthy and healed come October, but also granted the waiver to play immediately.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The Courant this morning (6/25) had an article by Alex Putterman (where is Kelli Stacy??)
I believe she is heading back to Oklahoma.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
As for Evina, she really hasn't gotten a taste of the coaching yet - just playing a bit (if she can at all) and hanging out with the team. I'll be very curious to hear what she says about how Geno and the staff coach her vs. what she got while at Tennessee.

You're right but as she hobbles around on crutches she sees the team mates on campus busting their butts with their summer assignments. I suspect that that alone is an eye opener.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
More detailed report of EV's comments:

“It’s been great,” Westbrook said of her short time in Storrs. “The overall help of my teammates — especially having surgery as soon as I got here — they’ve been fantastic just helping me figure out the whole transitioning and the little things I need to know within the team.”

“It’s a little frustrating but especially having Crystal [Dangerfield] by my side, it’s been easier not having to go through this process by myself,” Westbrook said. “But at the same time, I want to be out there, I want to be learning all the plays and everything that we’re going through in practice and workouts. But getting to see it before I get out there has been helpful, so I know what to expect once I get out there.”

“Just knowing exactly what I was going to get out of it,” Westbrook said on why she came to UConn. “Our coaching staff is going to push me to my limits and make me best player that I can be and (I’ll be) surrounded by a team full of winners and champions. I’m really happy to be here and I’m really glad I made this decision.”

Reaction Score
I love reading stuff like about kids transferring in. I'm very glad for Ania (or is it Anna - I thought it was Ania but... Geno called her Anna) that the basketball skill level at UCONN (college) is about equivalent to he pro leagues she was playing in. Impressive.

Best wishes to Crystal and Evina for a quick and complete rehab. I sure hope she's not only fully 100% healthy and healed come October, but also granted the waiver to play immediately.
Geno calls them as he see's them: Anna or Ania (the name used if familiar with Ania, ie family or good friends). We need not get carried away with using either. If Anna (I'm not family) does not like one or the other she will find a way of letting us know.
Evina Westbrook 's view of Connecticut is now at Uconn. I'd be angry should she complain about UConn while here. She was a kid when the first decisions of where to go was made. I'll believe in allowing her to settle in at Uconn without comments about choosing the Orange in a previous life.
Poor Geno stuck with a new group of hard working talented players--Griffin Ania, Westbrook, Evelyn, Touly, Danger, CW, Walker, ONO, Erwin, Molly --I'm missing someone? Who? Point is ---POOOR Geno!!
Geno in preseason tends to give us an inflated view of the new guys and we are disappointed sometimes. I hope all he says of Anna/Ania or Westbrook, Griffin are accurate come November/December and they are not relegated to the pine boards.

Reaction Score
?? For the last 2 seasons she's played on Arka Gdynia, a club founded in the 1940s. Some of the more notable US pros who have played on the team: Alana Beard, Ruth O'Reilly, Tamika Catchings, Chamique Holdsclaw, Elaine Powell, Katie Smith....

Quasi ??
Maybe Quazi or just a Pro--but I'm Qrazy over Anna/Ania. Pretty good company did any of them you listed make a real PRO team?? Dobja!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
?? For the last 2 seasons she's played on Arka Gdynia, a club founded in the 1940s. Some of the more notable US pros who have played on the team: Alana Beard, Ruth O'Reilly, Tamika Catchings, Chamique Holdsclaw, Elaine Powell, Katie Smith....

Quasi ??
Ruth O'Reilly is the Irish version of Ruth Riley? She did play for the Irish, after all. ;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
“Just knowing exactly what I was going to get out of it,” Westbrook said on why she came to UConn. “Our coaching staff is going to push me to my limits and make me best player that I can be and (I’ll be) surrounded by a team full of winners and champions. I’m really happy to be here and I’m really glad I made this decision.”

I just reread this from the UConn Blog article and it got me thinking. It must have been team turmoil at Tenn for the last two years, fighting to keep your head up and trying to make yourself better with very little help from your head coach. So, yeah, Evina should feel very, very good.

I am one of those who say these were self inflicted wounds for those who chose to go to Holly's Tenn, but having said that, I respect a youngster who rises up and extricates herself from the situation. Pulling for Evina to become a star husky.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom