West Va Filing Lawsuit Against The Big East | The Boneyard

West Va Filing Lawsuit Against The Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Interesting. That could work or it could make the BE adamant about the 27 month period. Seems like it would have been smarter to try to negotiate out first and resort to this later. It will probably give Pitt and Cuse less room to negotiate as well. I bet they are pissed.

Reaction Score
Interesting. That could work or it could make the BE adamant about the 27 month period. Seems like it would have been smarter to try to negotiate out first and resort to this later. It will probably give Pitt and Cuse less room to negotiate as well. I bet they are pissed.

What leverage does the Big East have? All the allegations are true; Terrible leadership, timely errors, reactive rather than proactive expansion, degradation of competition. Not only that, but the few members that are left are trying to squeeze into the lifeboats as the Titanic begins to break apart. To my eye, this suit is exactly what is needed to destroy the conference. That is, an airing of all the dirty laundry in a public, humiliating manner.

Although I am fairly sure that if we had an aggressive, proactive commissioner this could have been salvaged LONG ago by splitting with the catholics and bb-onlies and adding a few schools, Fred Flintstone is inneffectual and soon to be out of a Job.

Good Riddance. I just hope this idiot Marinnato didn't screw us on his way out the door.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
What leverage does the Big East have? All the allegations are true; Terrible leadership, timely errors, reactive rather than proactive expansion, degradation of competition.
All of those are reasons to leave, but none of them are reasons to breach the 27 month convenant....imo.

Reaction Score
All of those are reasons to leave, but none of them are reasons to breach the 27 month convenant....imo.

Sure they are. They are all reasons that the Big East will not exist for the 27 months that they aim to hold these teams to contracts for.

Put it this way. Why will Uconn + Rutgers want to pay the legal fees to fight this lawsuit when they will be gone within a year? Why would Depaul, Marquette, Georgetown, and St. Johns want to keep a bunch of cut-rate football schools aroudn to dilute their bball conference?

The disintegration of the Big East conference is imminent. If the common belief is that the football conference will cease to exist(which is a good bet), then why spend a ton of money fighting this lawsuit when you could peaceably settle and get on with the execution.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Sure they are. They are all reasons that the Big East will not exist for the 27 months that they aim to hold these teams to contracts for.

Put it this way. Why will Uconn + Rutgers want to pay the legal fees to fight this lawsuit when they will be gone within a year? Why would Depaul, Marquette, Georgetown, and St. Johns want to keep a bunch of cut-rate football schools aroudn to dilute their bball conference?

The disintegration of the Big East conference is imminent. If the common belief is that the football conference will cease to exist(which is a good bet), then why spend a ton of money fighting this lawsuit when you could peaceably settle and get on with the execution.
There is not a chance WV will win this lawsuit.

The BE chances are slim regarding survival. But UConn does not have another guaranteed home to land in. If the BE can get BS and Houston they might be able to keep the BCS AQ status. If not then the BE and UConn will be relegated to the status of CUSA which potentially will impact recruiting for UConn in all sports.

So UConn is forced to work with the BE in helping it survive unless or until an offer from another BCS AQ conference comes UConn's way.

The way I look at things: The BE bb schools may have slept with your wife and you can be ticked at them for what you perceive they've done. But the B12 and WV just kidnapped your kid and the BE has the resources to give you the best chance to find him.

Do you refuse to take their help because they messed with your wife?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

The BE chances are slim regarding survival. But UConn does not have another guaranteed home to land in. If the BE can get BS and Houston they might be able to keep the BCS AQ status. If not then the BE and UConn will be relegated to the status of CUSA which potentially will impact recruiting for UConn in all sports.

So UConn is forced to work with the BE in helping it survive unless or until an offer from another BCS AQ conference comes UConn's way.

The way I look at things: The BE bb schools may have slept with your wife and you can be ticked at them for what you perceive they've done. But the B12 and WV just kidnapped your kid and the BE has the resources to give you the best chance to find him.

That was weird!

ctchamps

Reaction Score
UConn has a chance to land in the ACC. But that is not a given. So the best chance for UConn is to hope the BE survives. The loss of WV essentially kills BE football. The retention of WV means the BE may live to see another day.

Being upset with whatever people perceive the BB schools did to the football schools is not the most pressing issue. The most pressing issue to make WV keep its 27 month commitment. After the 27 months they can leave.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
That was weird!
On Halloween? Particularly after the trick or treat comment in the storm thread.

Reaction Score

This analogy makes no sense, I am not going to bother to unpack it. Yes, the Big East has an "edge" in the lawsuit. But you missed my point. If we are talking to Houston, Boise State(football only), Army, Navy, Some 32 team super conference of nobodies, etc... then we are not talking about the Big East. The Big East is grasping at the only straw they have left, which is forcible litigation as a hostage measure. Your analogy was backwards.

The Big East is a husband who has not been able to hold a job(tv contract F#$k-ups), and is a crappy dad(not being proactive with expansion, bb-only split) who's wife has left him. Instead of looking inward and seeing what a terrible husband he is, he is taking his wife to court to inflict as much pain and anguish as possible, because after all it is the wife's family who has all the money(WVU, Syracuse, Pitt Tradition) and he wants a piece of the pie on the way out...

I think that is a much more apt analogy than your crazy Kidnapping the children one, no?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

If WVU doesn't honor it's 27 mo. commitment it is almost impossible for the BE to retain it's AQ status. The Big East (not UConn or Rutgers individually) will fight this suit, and in all likelihood win. I think the football portion of the conference has a decent chance to survive. Whether it will thrive, is another issue. Either way West Virginia knowingly entered into an agreement of which the notice clause was a major part. They are not getting out it.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
This analogy makes no sense, I am not going to bother to unpack it. Yes, the Big East has an "edge" in the lawsuit. But you missed my point. If we are talking to Houston, Boise State(football only), Army, Navy, Some 32 team super conference of nobodies, etc... then we are not talking about the Big East. The Big East is grasping at the only straw they have left, which is forcible litigation as a hostage measure. Your analogy was backwards.

The Big East is a husband who has not been able to hold a job(tv contract F#$k-ups), and is a crappy dad(not being proactive with expansion, bb-only split) who's wife has left him. Instead of looking inward and seeing what a terrible husband he is, he is taking his wife to court to inflict as much pain and anguish as possible, because after all it is the wife's family who has all the money(WVU, Syracuse, Pitt Tradition) and he wants a piece of the pie on the way out...

I think that is a much more apt analogy than your crazy Kidnapping the children one, no?
For someone who didn't want to unpack it you not only unpacked it but rewrapped it in your own personal paper.:)

I understand exactly what WV is doing and why. They have an offer from the B12 that probably requires them to leave the BE for next season. If they are unable to do that the offer most likely will be withdrawn. I can sympathize with WV, but my loyalties rest with UConn. If WV is "forced" to honor its obligation, the same as Cuse and Pitt, UConn comes out far better than if WV leaves next season.

So I'm putting aside any concerns of past actions, because the present situation is crucial.

Reaction Score
Pretty funny situation... On purely ethical terms, it is the Big East that should be suing WV, Cuse, Pitt, and the ACC...

Though... don't count me as surprised that those who did the dodgy, cloak-and-dagger maneuvering now have the nerve to think they are entitled to special treatment. Marinatto and the Big East are guilty of being naive and behind the times, but at least they didn't sell out. Here's to hoping they hold the sell-outs to all 27 months, or receive significant compensation in return for speeding it up.

The Big East wasn't crumbling until Pitt and Cuse and then WV made it crumble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom