Wes Bialosuknia | The Boneyard

Wes Bialosuknia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am writing this in response to a comment made by a subscriber on 10/24/13,the day after Wes passed away. This writer stated he'd heard many jokes made in reference to Wes during the years in which he coached our son in Little League. My family assumes these so-called jokes must have been made (if made at all) by jealous "wannabe" boy/men.

I have known and loved Wes for #44 years. Never once have I known him to have "demons" as this supposedly informed writer stated. Yes,we chose to lead a private life. "Wonderful Wes" loved his job, which assured him plenty of family and friend time to spend pursuing his passion for everything outdoors, including canoeing camping,trips to see his beloved Yankees,gardening and especially hiking.

My children and I are thankful to have had precious months to prepare for our terrible loss. Wes developed a rare (<2% in the western hemisphere) Cholangiocarcinoma for which there is no known cure, except surgery, if detected early. He had an "outside shot" of a surgical resection, but after multiple procedures and trips to Yale, this cruel Cancer began to metastasize. Thankfully he was able to care for himself and remain comfortable with meds and a little help from us. He remained home until his last week.

Someone commented "You'd have "demons"too if you were called "The Poughkeepsie Popper." Thank you for the comic relief.

I have been an RN for #44 years with experience in multiple areas, including critical care. For the past 20+ years, my specialty has been Adult Psychiatry. No, Wes has never, even remotely, been afflicted by "demons." He was my very loving self enlightened,self actualized WES.

We found (you know who you are....John (son) and I don't!) your comment hurtful and slanderous! DO NOT speak ill of the deceased, or attempt to fool others into believing that you knew my husband other than very superficially, if at all. You say your Dad coached with Wes? He shared a mutual respect with most L.L. peers. I'm writing this on the birthday of Wes's Hero and all time favorite baseball star and class act (as Wes was)......Willie Mays!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I am writing this in response to a comment made by a subscriber on 10/24/13,the day after Wes passed away. This writer stated he'd heard many jokes made in reference to Wes during the years in which he coached our son in Little League. My family assumes these so-called jokes must have been made (if made at all) by jealous "wannabe" boy/men.

I have known and loved Wes for #44 years. Never once have I known him to have "demons" as this supposedly informed writer stated. Yes,we chose to lead a private life. "Wonderful Wes" loved his job, which assured him plenty of family and friend time to spend pursuing his passion for everything outdoors, including canoeing camping,trips to see his beloved Yankees,gardening and especially hiking.

My children and I are thankful to have had precious months to prepare for our terrible loss. Wes developed a rare (<2% in the western hemisphere) Cholangiocarcinoma for which there is no known cure, except surgery, if detected early. He had an "outside shot" of a surgical resection, but after multiple procedures and trips to Yale, this cruel Cancer began to metastasize. Thankfully he was able to care for himself and remain comfortable with meds and a little help from us. He remained home until his last week.

Someone commented "You'd have "demons"too if you were called "The Poughkeepsie Popper." Thank you for the comic relief.

I have been an RN for #44 years with experience in multiple areas, including critical care. For the past 20+ years, my specialty has been Adult Psychiatry. No, Wes has never, even remotely, been afflicted by "demons." He was my very loving self enlightened,self actualized WES.

We found (you know who you are....John (son) and I don't!) your comment hurtful and slanderous! DO NOT speak ill of the deceased, or attempt to fool others into believing that you knew my husband other than very superficially, if at all. You say your Dad coached with Wes? He shared a mutual respect with most L.L. peers. I'm writing this on the birthday of Wes's Hero and all time favorite baseball star and class act (as Wes was).Willie Mays!
There are many on this board who weren't born when Wes was a UConn star. Too bad, he was probably the greatest shooter in UConn history and it is really too bad that the 3 pt. shot wasn't around when Wes played or his numbers would have even more impressive. Thank you for sharing your experience with him and glad to hear that Wes led a good life.

Reaction Score
It might be me who you are referring to. I believe I started or responded to a thread because I also held great respect for the man. I have nothing but fond memories him coaching me. He taught me a major thing as I look back which is the ability to be confident in ones self even if you may be limited in your overall abilities. Wes showed that he believed in me... I know i felt the need to say something on here due to seeing bs from people now and then because he never came around enough or this and that. If I was the one who used the word "demons" and it offended I will be the first to apologize. But my point was to share a memory that remembers him for the man he was. This is a forum about Uconn. Wes is one of the greats, I felt it was a prime opportunity to share how a basketball star had an amazing impact on a young kids life.

Reaction Score
I was at UConn when Wes was there. He gave us plenty of thrills. I remember going to a game in Worcester where we played Holy Cross.
After the game, myself and my friends went to a bar across from the Worcester auditorium. We met Wes' father. Wonderful man. He bought us a beer.(I don't believe we were 21 yet!!)
After Wes graduated he signed on with an ABA team. In those days exams were in early June. I remember Wes coming back and cruising the campus with a beautiful shiny new car. (can't remember the make) Always had a beautiful girl with him. Perhaps that was you??
Anyways, for those of us who were around, when Wes played, we only remember positives. The adult portion of Wes' life certainly sounds
like the perfect life a family man should choose.
That, more than anything, should be Wes' legacy....

Reaction Score
I was at UConn when Wes was there. He gave us plenty of thrills. I remember going to a game in Worcester where we played Holy Cross.
After the game, myself and my friends went to a bar across from the Worcester auditorium. We met Wes' father. Wonderful man. He bought us a beer.(I don't believe we were 21 yet!!)
After Wes graduated he signed on with an ABA team. In those days exams were in early June. I remember Wes coming back and cruising the campus with a beautiful shiny new car. (can't remember the make) Always had a beautiful girl with him. Perhaps that was you??
Anyways, for those of us who were around, when Wes played, we only remember positives. The adult portion of Wes' life certainly sounds
like the perfect life a family man should choose.
That, more than anything, should be Wes' legacy....

Reaction Score
I met Wes after his UCONN days and had no knowledge of his college or ABA careers. We became friends.I used to trim his hair before weekly and once/month Army Reserve week ends. If not for the Vietnam War, he'd have taken off to Poland or Italy to play European bball. We had a wonderful 40 year marriage.He got interested in attending games at Gampel around 2000.By that time the P.Popper legend had grown!!!

Reaction Score
I was just in awe of the way he could shoot a basketball! It was a thrill to watch him play. He brought needed excitement to all of us on the dreary winter days in Storrs. As I mentioned before, my best friend later on played pick-up with Wes at the "Y" in Waterbury, and thought he was a great guy. I'm so sorry that anyone would say something hurtful to you.

Reaction Score
I was a year ahead of Wes at UCONN and although I didn't know him well, in fact I can't remember exactly where or when we first met, he always gave me a nod and a friendly "hi" whenever our paths crossed. A classy down-to-earth guy who never let his success on the court change who he was.

Reaction Score
I grew up in Pougkeepsie and some of my first viewing experiences with college basketball was watching Wes & UConn play in the Field House on black & white TV.

He was a tremendous shooter who always got a lot of positive press in the Poughkeepsie Journal.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

We found (you know who you are....John (son) and I don't!) your comment hurtful and slanderous! DO NOT speak ill of the deceased, or attempt to fool others into believing that you knew my husband other than very superficially, if at all. You say your Dad coached with Wes? He shared a mutual respect with most L.L. peers. I'm writing this on the birthday of Wes's Hero and all time favorite baseball star and class act (as Wes was).Willie Mays!

I am terribly sorry you were hurt by insensitive remarks made on this forum about Wes.

I grew up in Bristol and remember watching Wes on Channel 8 in New Haven, with Dick Galiette and "Tiny" Markle calling the action from the old Field House. Wes was an amazing shooter, the likes of which we haven't seen again since his days in Storrs. If the three-point shot and four year college eligibility were in effect when Wes was playing major college BB, he would still hold the all time UCONN team scoring record, and wouldn't have anybody remotely close to him. He still holds the all time UCONN season scoring average from his senior year (28 ppg).

Wes was a class act in everything he ever did. I am proud to be a fellow UCONN alum along with him, and I offer my heartfelt condolences to you and your family for your tragic loss. He deserved far more time with you. Those of us who saw Wes play will never forget him. He was a great Husky and an even better man.

Reaction Score
It might be me who you are referring to. I believe I started or responded to a thread because I also held great respect for the man. I have nothing but fond memories him coaching me. He taught me a major thing as I look back which is the ability to be confident in ones self even if you may be limited in your overall abilities. Wes showed that he believed in me... I know i felt the need to say something on here due to seeing bs from people now and then because he never came around enough or this and that. If I was the one who used the word "demons" and it offended I will be the first to apologize. But my point was to share a memory that remembers him for the man he was. This is a forum about Uconn. Wes is one of the greats, I felt it was a prime opportunity to share how a basketball star had an amazing impact on a young kids life.
Thanks for being positive. Wes WAS Uconn basketball when I was in high school. UConn was the only school I bothered to apply to... to be able to watch the basketball games in the Field House.

Reaction Score
I moved to Bristol almost 30 years ago and did not realize that Wes and your family were living in town. One day in the Bristol Press i saw that a Jane Bialosuknia had won the city-wide shooting competition for her age bracket. I thought could it be Wes' kid? Does he live in Bristol? Then I thought who else with a name like that could shoot like that! I checked with a few of the townies and sure enough Jane is Wes' daughter. I guess a prime example of the apple not falling far from the tree. I watched his games on tv with my dad as a kid and he brought us great enjoyment and pride since dad and I are UConn Alums t00. I hope that you and your family realize that Wes holds a special place in our memories and we hope that your family has been coping well with your loss.

Reaction Score
Wes was a freshman fraternity brother my senior year. The following year I asked him if he would be willing to speak at a spaghetti supper for some South Windsor 8th grade basketball players. He had never spoken to a group prior to that. His presence alone and the words he spoke mesmerized them. Afterward he took the time to sign an autograph for them all. It was truly a memorable evening.

Reaction Score
Wes personally answered all his mail,mostly autograph requests,and often spoke at various high schools,camps and organizations such as the Polish Club in Poughkeepsie. He spent summers at St. Thomas Moore and Hall of Fame basketball camps. He loved working with motivated kids both boys and girls. In the early '90's, sports were eliminated at Bristol middle schools. He started a girls traveling team sponsored by the Bristol Boys and Girls Club, got donations for jerseys and balls,and asked every principal in town for practice time in their gyms. Principal Ives,Memorial Blvd.was the only person who allowed the girls gym time. Wes contacted other middle schools,one high school team,and an AAU team in Wallingford, their only loss.Their record was 19-1 and won the Boys & Girls Club New England championship at Brandeis. The girls got to meet a few Celtics players because their team practices there! He used a few of Fred Shabels' and ABA plays. What a great team. During that season,he also coached the grade 6 Boys club traveling team. Our children played on these teams and have fond memories of being coached by their Dad. I feared he'd end up having heart trouble because my mild mannered Wes turned into a beast while coaching this sport! Baseball was more his speed!
Another passion was baseball card collecting.The kids and Wes went to shows all over New England and N.Y.
He loved watching Niels Giffey shoot,said he had a unique,pure shot "similar to his." Before he passed away,he reminded me to send Niels a birthday card. They share the same birth date, 6/8.
Thanks everyone for your kind words.I truly feel his presence all around me!

Reaction Score
did Wes ever produce an instructional video of his shooting techniques and practice regimens?

Reaction Score
Wes told me he learned to shoot from library books,and lots of practice. Back then (in the olden days,haha) there were no clinics,camps etc... He'd show kids his technique,what worked for him,but mainly stressed practice! Our daughter,Jane,inherited his "dead eye." She holds a record at her HS for most 3 pointers...that was 15 yrs. ago. John has Wes' "long range shot" also...must be genetic

Reaction Score
Wes told me he learned to shoot from library books,and lots of practice. Back then (in the olden days,haha) there were no clinics,camps etc... He'd show kids his technique,what worked for him,but mainly stressed practice! Our daughter,Jane,inherited his "dead eye." She holds a record at her HS for most 3 pointers...that was 15 yrs. ago. John has Wes' "long range shot" also...must be genetic
He was just a superhuman shooter. I'm sure he practiced a lot, but he had to have something in his eyes - more rods and cones than the average bear - and he had to have some kind physical coordination that just allowed it to happen. I'm not sure you can teach that. I remember Wes from listening to Uconn games on radio as a kid in the 60's. Never saw him, but felt I knew him from those radio broadcasts. Bialsooookniaaaaaaaaa for a long 2!!!!

Reaction Score
Watching Wes in mid '60's on Ch. 8 New Haven is the reason I became interested in hoops & mainly UCONN hoops. The fieldhouse back then was very dusty and smoggy on game night. I assume it was due to the packed house walking on the indoor track. Wes must have had radar or sonar because the place was so cloudy I do not know how he located the rim. Also, I remember the big netting all around that must have been left up from baseball practice. The fieldhouse was a true pit of a home court advantage. Wes took fg attempts from so deep it was beyond reason. The arc was a true rainmaker & he is the origin of the term pure shooter. I like your term "dead eye." You solved this nature vs. nurture issue.

It is interesting that you mention Niels as a favorite shooter of Wes. Wes shot the ball with more fluidity and quicker release than Niels and also a million times more confidence. Wes was a large volume shooter and rightly so. Wes shot fg rate of 44.8%, but keep in mind his shots were from the next building. I compare Wes with Bob Staak at UCONN who shot a fg rate of 46.6%. Staak shot long range also, but within reason; not the next building. I saw Staak in person many times from '68-'71. He was 6'4. Also, another guard with big skills was Bob Boyd from 68-71 who shot long range at a rate of 42%. I saw Boyd many times in person and he was 5'11. In summary; there is nobody like Wes in college basketball history with the exception of Rick Mount of Purdue.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
As another who grew up in Poughkeepsie, Wes was the first big basketball star from the area.

He was the idol of many of us who started to play basketball back in the early 60's.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I always wore No. 44 on any team I played for in HS and college. Once I couldn't get 44 because another player had it, so I got as close as I could, No. 40.

44 honored Wes at the collegiate level and Jerry West in the NBA. It's still my favorite uniform number.

Reaction Score
I grew up in Willimantic and went to many games at the field house with my father. I have a very distinct memory of how Wes would dribble the ball downcourt, take a few steps over the mid-court line and launch a high arcing shot. No one else would typically shoot from that distance in those days. Teams did not defend at that distance from the basket, especially since it would be off the dribble. His last step would take him into the air. And what was most unique was that his body was not perpendicular to the ground, but angled toward the basket and the shot would be nearly at that same angle. The ball would fly high into the air. It seemed like it would be in the air for a minute, rising up toward the dim ceiling and dropping almost straight down, swish, through the basket.

Unlike many of todays players, there was no arrogance, in your face to his play- just joy, with the confidence that the ball was going in the hoop.

It was the most amazing shot I have ever seen. It was thrilling to witness. It is what we went up to Storrs to see, and he did it over, and over, and over again. I am sad at his passing, but am so happy to know of the wonderful life he led.

Reaction Score
Wes told me that Jane,our daughter,shot like him,both long range and at the foul line. She lacked his passion for the game,liked Volleyball,Softball better?? But,she beat him at 1 on 1 when she was 14. I got to see Wes play only once,a benefit game at the Fieldhouse for an ex-teammate.

Reaction Score
Wes told me that Jane,our daughter,shot like him,both long range and at the foul line. She lacked his passion for the game,liked Volleyball,Softball better?? But,she beat him at 1 on 1 when she was 14. I got to see Wes play only once,a benefit game at the Fieldhouse for an ex-teammate.

I was a year behind Wes at UConn and saw him play his first varsity game as a sophomore [freshman couldn't play varsity basketball back then] in the fall of 1964 against AIC and Jim Calhoun. UConn went on to have a great season that year led by Toby and Wes and I was forever hooked on UConn basketball. I remember that he sometimes would make shots from just past midcourt a will always be a legendary player at UConn. Thanks for sharing with us some of your memories of your life with Wes. The best to you and your family!

Reaction Score
IAM. You say you'd heard a lot of BS about Wes because he didn't come around anymore? I assume you are talking about the UCONN campus. He returned a few years later after he came back from San Francisco. He told me that everything was different. The campus was in a turmoil.Rioting students had taken over the administration bldg. several students spit and threw paper balls at his "shiny yellow Jaguar." He was no longer a part of the student body and he felt a little afraid,similar to how many Vietnam Vets must have felt.
Even the Fieldhouse had changed. The student seats had been moved back,but most upsetting to him was the missing gym floor with a big C in the middle. It had been sold to Choate Rosemary prep. by Homer Babbidge,the same president who refused to let the '67 team attend the NIT,after they'd won an invitation. (See Hoop Tales book.) What upset Wes most was the fact that his beloved Coach Shabel had moved on to University of Penn. He mainly left because of a lack of adm. support,also in Hoop Tales,by the way, a very well written & researched book!
He visited Lou's, now Pub 32 ,and spent the day with Ally John,a father figure to him for 4 years. He'd been hoping to reconnect with Lou's daughter,Kerry,only to discover she was married.
SO...there was nothing left for him there. When a, fundraising game was organized for an ex-teammate who'd been hit by a car while helping a motorist on the highway,Wes played,even went on Arnold Dean's sports talk (ch.3) to promote this game, ? '72 or "73.
When invited by Coach Dee Rowe to be at the Civic Center game when his record was broken by Tony Hanson, Wes was thrilled! He loved every minute of it,and introduced me to many "special people."
The last game at the Fieldhouse? He wasn't invited.
The first game at the new Gampel? He wasn't invited.
He invited himself to a Civic center game when the All-Century Team was to be presented, which was the start of a very special friendship with Coach Rowe. From that night on, we attended approx. 3 games/year.
We,ve had a very full life,lots of travel,trips to Poughkeepsie,Wes' many hobbies....He taught himself so much,to name a few... Car repairing,roofing,furniture making,gardening. He took LSATs and got a 620 score without studying,but decided he really didn't want to practice law.Wes studied Real Estate (Tunxis CC ,free on the GI Bill) just before we bought our first home. He practiced the 3 R's : Respect,Responsibilityand mostly Resourcefulness! Much of the '80's & '90's were spent with our children,his hobbies and of course,Me!
Wes made everything fun,and I consider myself a very lucky woman to have had the past #44 years with such a "Wonderful" Man!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom