Were you even at the game, bro??? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Were you even at the game, bro???

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I tried to really make a fair judgement after the pre-tournament claims that UConn fans would drown out the Garden in numbers and volume.

On Friday night it felt pretty evenly split. UConn was louder during its runs, and Nova was louder when making runs. Neither team had a clear crowd advantage.

As far as crowd energy, I’d give it a 7. It didn’t match the Nova Hall finals of a few years ago.
Nothing in the NBE can match the OBE. Those times and crowds were insane. I doubt college basketball will ever see another league like that again

Reaction Score
That’s like saying the White Sox aren’t a Chicago team because the Cubs are.

I think its just a cheap shot at Villanova because they are technically outside the city limits in the Main Line suburban town of Radnor, PA while Temple, UPenn, Drexel, LaSalle, Saint Joseph's are all within Philly

In the case of the Cubs/WS both are in the city limits

Reaction Score
I think its just a cheap shot at Villanova because they are technically outside the city limits in the Main Line suburban town of Radnor, PA while Temple, UPenn, Drexel, LaSalle, Saint Joseph's are all within Philly

I know exactly where they are. I also know that Villanova is in The Big Five and played home games at the Palestra, the Spectrum and Wells Fargo. It's s stupid comment.

Reaction Score
fond memory - years ago, in Philly for my son's tour of Nova and St. Joe's, stopped by to see the Palestra - building was closed, found an open door, rack of balls on the court - shot hoops w/ my son.
That’s awesome. It’s one of my favorite college basketball venues of all time.

Reaction Score

Actually, Villanova is in the Main Line suburban town of "Villanova" which is in Radnor Township

Reaction Score
Actually, Villanova is in the Main Line suburban town of "Villanova" which is in Radnor Township

Thanks for the correction. But last time I checked Villanova is not an incorporated place in Pennsylvania. The area may be known as Villanova and it has its own train stop. But its not incorporated and its just a part of the larger Radnor, PA.

Reaction Score
Villanova plays in the Philly Big 5 city competition. It’s located on Philadelphia’s Main Line, somewhere between the Philadelphia Union (MLS) stadium and Philadelphia Country Club. Each of these are outside of the city limits, but all very much Philly. Philadelphia Cricket Club is also outside the city limits. Our 3 championship parades were in downtown Philly. One of our home courts is in Philly, where we hosted UConn this year. We embrace our Philly heritage and we all know we are on the Main Line and not inside the city limits.

This is about as silly as the NY Football Giants not being New York as they play across the river in NJ. The Giants play in another state and are still the New York Giants.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Villanova plays in the Philly Big 5 city competition. It’s located on Philadelphia’s Main Line, somewhere between the Philadelphia Union (MLS) stadium and Philadelphia Country Club. Each of these are outside of the city limits, but all very much Philly. Philadelphia Cricket Club is also outside the city limits. Our 3 championship parades were in downtown Philly. One of our home courts is in Philly, where we hosted UConn this year. We embrace our Philly heritage and we all know we are on the Main Line and not inside the city limits.

This is about as silly as the NY Football Giants not being New York as they play across the river in NJ. The Giants play in another state and are still the New York Giants.
I consider nova a Philly team for sure.

I do not consider the giants a NY team. They are the Jersey football Giants. Have been since early 70’s.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

I do not consider the giants a NY team. They are the Jersey football Giants. Have been since early 70’s.
What are the Jets then?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
What are the Jets then?
Jersey. But the giants went to Jersey first. So will always be New Jersey’s team.

Biggest travesty ever is NY not having a football team for 45 years. Hell even LA got one back

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Jersey. But the giants went to Jersey first. So will always be New Jersey’s team.

Biggest travesty ever is NY not having a football team for 45 years. Hell even LA got one back
Bills are New York’s only team

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
You can blame (then NYC mayor) John Lindsey for that. When he made the deal for the refurbishment of (the original) Yankee Stadium, it included the stadium no longer allowing the Giants to play football there.

Reaction Score

dumb take. they represent new york. but physically play in new jersey for convenience's sake (land, road/train access)

Reaction Score
You can blame (then NYC mayor) John Lindsey for that. When he made the deal for the refurbishment of (the original) Yankee Stadium, it included the stadium no longer allowing the Giants to play football there.
that's not accurate:

"Desiring their own home stadium, in the early 1970s the Giants reached an agreement with the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority to play their home games at a brand-new, state-of-the-art, dedicated football stadium.[70] Some New Yorkers were furious and Mayor John Lindsay had attempted to keep the team in the city by proposing to buy Yankee Stadium and renovate it at a cost of $24 million. Lindsay estimated that they brought $3 million to the city, and was anxious to keep that revenue, as well as satisfy New York Giant fans.[68] Axthlem characterized the Giants fan base at the time as mostly "white, suburban and fairly well to do, and its members drive cars to football games."[69] The battle became nasty with members of the New York City side claiming that the Maras "complained of how inconvenient it was for them to park, or for them to get out to the neighborhood."[69] They claimed the Maras "never really negotiated. They just listened...I think they were afraid if they asked for something, we might give it to them—and they wanted to keep us from offering a deal that they couldn't turn down."[68] In fact, the Maras had already made the agreement to move out of the city, even though Wellington was still placating the city.[68] He felt this was a factor in the Mara's decision to move the stadium, as the attendees could drive to their New Jersey stadium as opposed to traveling through the Bronx to Yankee Stadium.[69] The new stadium, which would become known as Giants Stadium, was to be built at a brand new sports complex in East Rutherford, New Jersey.[70] The decision met with outrage from some New Yorkers, and the city's mayor John Lindsay sought legal action to prevent the team from playing in Yankee Stadium — or anywhere else in New York — and demanded a congressional investigation into the deal.[65] "

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I stand corrected (will do some research). The story here (NYC metro area, pre-canle days) was that Lindsay's plan, renovating Yankee Stadium (which did happen) left the Giants scrambling to find a place to play. They had to use Yale Bowl for two seasons (as there was so little time from when they were told Yankee Stadium would be unavailable) and NJ stepped in with their proposal.

Doesn't surprise me that there may have been more to this but I also wouldn't be surprised if there is a bit of spin in what you quoted.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom