Were We Overlooked in the AAC? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Were We Overlooked in the AAC?

Reaction Score
Of course, the season is young. But if I am a coach in the AAC looking for a 3rd bid, I guarantee you I will be losing sleep the few days prior to the selection show. Can this conference get three? Maybe. Its more likely to get just one.

It's never gotten one in its history.
The coaches who scheduled strong aren't losing sleep. The new coaches scheduled to grow their programs and teach their recruits the game of basketball, except Dan and Penny - who are playing NCAA caliber schedules. They obviously have other plans.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The media often has no idea what they're talking about--you have to wonder if a majority of them ever watch non-blueblood teams--but we weren't overlooked given how dreadful the program was the last two seasons. New coach, a poor incoming class, not a ton of talent in the program to begin with (relative to the national stage and our history), etc.

Granted it's only been two games against cupcakes, everyone can see Hurley's impact. We will be better than we were the last two seasons. As long as Gilbert stays healthy I think we'll overachieve in the AAC compared to the polls (now there's a sentence I sure as hell never thought I'd type). The league is terrible, we've been even more terrible. We can turn this around so quickly though; the conference is that bad. The cupboard wasn't completely bare and Hurley is a huge upgrade. By our own standards our talent level is low but we are still the most talented team in this conference. The frontcourt and our wings aren't great but our guards are the strongest unit in this league by a mile.

Reaction Score
We certainty weren't overlooked imo. We had/have alot of question marks. There are so many variables for our team that could send us in either direction. Those variables have worked to our advantage so far. Big men have been solid. All of our guards have been playing well. The hustle and energy is there. AG and Jalen playing like we have been wanting them to. Lets see if it keeps up against better competition. If we win some games that nobody expected us to we'll get some attention. Lets win the AAC for a change and get into the tournament and win some games. I think people expect Uconn to be a hard out every year, but lately we have given them a reason to doubt us. 1 or 2 good seasons and we start getting the benefit of the doubt going forward (much like UK got this year being ranked so high). We have to start somewhere though. Hopefully this year we start heading in the right direction.

Reaction Score
It's never gotten one in its history.
The coaches who scheduled strong aren't losing sleep. The new coaches scheduled to grow their programs and teach their recruits the game of basketball, except Dan and Penny - who are playing NCAA caliber schedules. They obviously have other plans.
Unless they win some marquee OOC games, they most certainly will be losing sleep. This conference offers very little in terms of quality wins which in turn leaves teams like UConn with no margin for error. I don't see three bids, but like I said, its early.

Reaction Score
Strike while the fire is hot. A stitch in time saves nine. Vote early and often.

I agree with you, but it's amazing how a team looking like a real basketball team can get folks excited. Ten toes in.

I'm excited too, i'm just not willing to say we were overlooked yet. We had a TON of questions at the beginning of the season that we are just starting to answer.

Reaction Score
Unless they win some marquee OOC games, they most certainly will be losing sleep. This conference offers very little in terms of quality wins which in turn leaves teams like UConn with no margin for error. I don't see three bids, but like I said, its early.

Like every other conference in America, winning OOC games makes the conference games more valuable.
Wichita State already beat one of the better nbe teams with a bunch of freshmen.
Last year Temple added value to the conference with their OOC wins, even though they faltered in conference.
That's just how it works.

Reaction Score
Was UConn overlooked in the preseason AAC coaches poll? Talk to me in March. The first 2 games don't really prove anything.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
We should dominate this league in our worst years. The fact that we haven't is shameful.
WOW
Yeah WSU, Cinci, Houston and SMU - all just pushovers the last 2 years
get real

Reaction Score
And this is just sad.

It's a down year for a mediocre league with a better than mediocre ceiling.

It happens. We'll likely only get 1-2 teams in the dance this year, but 3-5 most years going forward.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think we were cautiously underrated. And still are. We were so abominable the last two years, especially last year, that people wonder if it can be turned around so quickly. What many of us know or should know, is just how bad Kevin Ollie was, especially last season. He was probably good for minus 5-6 wins between poor in game decisions, irrational and shifting lineups plus an entire culture and style of play that was horrible.

There are people here harping on the talent, and no, it is not "peak UConn" talent beyond the two lead guards. But it's better than what the rest of this league has top to bottom, and it's better than a lot of other teams out there. I'd argue its better than what Hurley had at URI last year when they were top 25 much of the year. The legitimate question was how quickly Hurley could get them to play as a team and break the bad habits of the last two years. So far, I'd say...pretty quickly. Vital is lagging slightly on the offensive side perhaps. But these guys love playing this way, you can see it.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

He doesn't want to give UConn players bulletin board material. Nonetheless I thanked him for the positive statement by sending him a handkerchief with a UConn logo on it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He doesn't want to give UConn players bulletin board material. Nonetheless I thanked him for the positive statement by sending him a handkerchief with a UConn logo on it.
Not a Boeheim fan but he never seemed like the Lou Holtz-type to me. I think he said what he said because he thinks UConn has a good backcourt.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Not a Boeheim fan but he never seemed like the Lou Holtz-type to me. I think he said what he said because he thinks UConn has a good backcourt.
Quit trying to ruin my tongue and cheek narrative.

But I agree that he genuinely assesses the backcourt as good based on the first two games. He'd be a fool to think otherwise.

Reaction Score

(Boeheim removes finger from nose) “Oh, UConn? Yeah they’re good. Underrated. They’ll beat us.” (Finger back in nose. Slowly closes eyes. Continues to nap on bench).”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A little late, but as we have strong showing leading towards our ultimate test on Thursday, other teams around the league are struggling. Examples: UCF lost to Florida Atlantic, Wichita lost to LA Tech, Cincy looking horrible against OSU, and a few other losses from the bottom feeders.
With that being said, are we looking at a higher finish than expected in the preseason poll? I think so.
after the first two games, not sure how Uconn isn't in the Top 10. This conference blows

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom