Were We Overlooked in the AAC? | The Boneyard

Were We Overlooked in the AAC?

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
A little late, but as we have strong showing leading towards our ultimate test on Thursday, other teams around the league are struggling. Examples: UCF lost to Florida Atlantic, Wichita lost to LA Tech, Cincy looking horrible against OSU, and a few other losses from the bottom feeders.
With that being said, are we looking at a higher finish than expected in the preseason poll? I think so.

Reaction Score
I think this squad, led by Hurley could very well exceed expectations. We have a great head coach and really good assistants. We also have a really deep backcourt with 3 studs in Gilbert, Adams and Smith, and Brendan looks good. Vital drives most of us nuts, but he rebounds real well and has had games of 30 and 29 points in the past. The 5 is looking decent or better with Josh and Cobb. Polley is showing flashes and Sid seems to have promise. Whaley and Yakwe can both contribute as well and Mamadou can probably contribute if he can stay out of foul trouble.

If it all comes together (especially at the 3 and 4), this could be a solid tourney team. It is certainly a fun team to watch.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes.

Don’t be such chickens, who cares that we’ve only played two easy games? It’s not a crime to think your team is always better than they are before the season starts, and every once in a while you might just be right.

Everyone in the media agreed Hurley was an incredible coach and a great get for UConn. Everyone agreed UConn had the best player in the league. Maybe the two best players in the league. Everyone also agreed it was nuts to place high expectations on a team that looked so bad for most of last year, and had a lot of question marks.

Call it overlooked if you want. We deserved to be 5th or 6th in preseason. But if anyone didn’t see a version of this season where UConn rolls the AAC they were being silly.

I’ll bite my tongue when we’re 2-2 on Friday night

Reaction Score
I honestly can't believe there are people who think we're getting unfairly treated and overlooked this offseason.

This team was terrible last year. Not just in terms of the talent the program's used to seeing, but in terms of culture, effort, direction, coaching... it was bordering on a program in free fall.

Love Hurley. I like the kids and feel bad for them that they haven't had any leadership the past 2-3 years. I think we're better than we were last year. But realistically how much better? I dunno, 5-7 more wins? Maybe? And i'm not going to get more optimistic than that after beating Morehead State and UMKC. Great we're back to beating those teams the way we always should. Liked what I saw.

But no way. Not even close to there, yet.

Reaction Score
Let’s see what happens next 2 games before we get out too far. Last season we were dancing remember? Then a kick in the nuts.

Reaction Score
Based on past performance the last two years, the pre season poll was realistic. We have to prove we are better. And I think we will. This team under Hurley is like night and day compared to the Ollie teams. Yes we played only two cupcakes. But we didn’t lose or have to go into ot to win. We beat the crap out of them like we used to do to these teams when we were great. I am looking forward with great optimism to this year. We can win the AAC. The Syracuse game will be a real barometer of where we are at. I am looking forward to a victory on Thursday. Maybe it’s wishful thinking, but anyways we will soon find out.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
This team was terrible last year. Not just in terms of the talent the program's used to seeing, but in terms of culture, effort, direction, coaching... it was bordering on a program in free fall.

Bordering on? It was in freefall. Full stop.

If there hadn't been a change, who knows how many guys would have jumped ship like rats smart kids who care about their future.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Let's get real. Based on the last two years and the talent on the team, we were not overlooked.

We have a far superior, experienced coach and staff. Hurley and company are making a difference. But we just beat 2 okay teams at best. Feel good wins but not against serious competition. Our front court is still a huge question mark. Syracuse will tell us were we stand and how far we have to go.

We will catch a few teams off guard and steal a couple of wins that last year would have been loses. I think we will be competitive for the season and that will be a big plus. But we are not winning a conference title or going to a post season tournament this season. This season lays the foundation for those goals.

Reaction Score
<snip>.... But we are not winning a conference title or going to a post season tournament this season.

I submit, politely, that the above sentence achieves a level of preposterousness equivalent to the statement, "We are legitimate favorites for the NC this year." Do you truly think that this team is not capable of a winning record? A winning record is all is has ever taken for UConn to make the NIT, and as for "not winning a conference title", who exactly is the AAC juggernaut so powerful that you can state categorically that UConn has no chance? There will always be those of little faith, but all that's required here is a little unfettered vision.

Reaction Score
Sweet sixteen. Top three in conference. We're still missing two players, Diarra and Wilson, who will contribute. We're going to get much better as the season progresses. There will be a real upward curve with this coaching staff and culture, you can see it already, Our defense will just get better and better.

What's not to like? Quick answer, the frontcourt. Hoping for the best here, these players all have the season to develop individually, and Hurley has time to get a workable rotation.

Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I submit, politely, that the above sentence achieves a level of preposterousness equivalent to the statement, "We are legitimate favorites for the NC this year." Do you truly think that this team is not capable of a winning record? A winning record is all is has ever taken for UConn to make the NIT, and as for "not winning a conference title", who exactly is the AAC juggernaut so powerful that you can state categorically that UConn has no chance? There will always be those of little faith, but all that's required here is a little unfettered vision.

Shpinx - I never said UConn would not have a winning record. That's your supposition. I believe it will take 20 or more wins to get an NIT bid. This is not the UConn of the Calhoun era. This team will have a winning record. I'm a realist. If the season proves me wrong, fine. I can live the that. I've been a UConn fan and financial supporter of both baskeball teams since the early 90's.

Who in the AAC is probably better - try Cincy, Houston and maybe UCF.

I don't expect everone to agree with me and that doesn't bother me.

Reaction Score
Shpinx - I never said UConn would not have a winning record. That's your supposition. I believe it will take 20 or more wins to get an NIT bid. This is not the UConn of the Calhoun era. This team will have a winning record. I'm a realist. If the season proves me wrong, fine. I can live the that. I've been a UConn fan and financial supporter of both baskeball teams since the early 90's.

Who in the AAC is probably better - try Cincy, Houston and maybe UCF.

I don't expect everone to agree with me and that doesn't bother me.

Its early but Cincy will struggle to get to 60 points against good teams, and UCF just lost at home to Florida Atlantic. If you don't think UConn is in the mix for this conference this year, I don't know what to tell you.

Reaction Score
One.

3-4 likely

Cronin and Sampson will have Cinci and Houston in perennially.
UCF will be on the bubble. The school of thought is UCF won 19 last year, off an NIT F4, with 3 best players injured.
UConn and Memphis will make the post season. How far remains to be seen.
Temple will be a bubble team. Quinton Rose and Shiz Alston are legit, and their schedule always puts them in arms reach.
SMU will be in the NIT depending on Jarrey Fosters recovery.
Tulsa and Wichita State are wild cards. (Providence is already on the resume for Gregg Marshall)
USF, Tulane, and ECU, all get another year older under their new HCs. Tulane showed good signs (young talent, especially the Montverde kid) against Florida State.

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
2 games into the season seems a little rushed to make these type of threads
Strike while the fire is hot. A stitch in time saves nine. Vote early and often.

I agree with you, but it's amazing how a team looking like a real basketball team can get folks excited. Ten toes in.

Reaction Score
Except AAC only gets in two.

This may not prove to be true.

On another note I am reminded of Nolan Richardson's Arkansas teams during his tenure there. The whole "Forty Minutes of Hell" style of play. His teams were very competitive, and I don't recall all that much NBA talent rolling out of there.

A tough, physically aggressive culture and style of play, an identity that the team embraces and stokes, coupled with with terrific coaching and some talent on the floor, is going to win games.

Reaction Score
This may not prove to be true.

On another note I am reminded of Nolan Richardson's Arkansas teams during his tenure there. The whole "Forty Minutes of Hell" style of play. His teams were very competitive, and I don't recall all that much NBA talent rolling out of there.

A tough, physically aggressive culture and style of play, an identity that the team embraces and stokes, coupled with with terrific coaching and some talent on the floor, is going to win games.
Of course, the season is young. But if I am a coach in the AAC looking for a 3rd bid, I guarantee you I will be losing sleep the few days prior to the selection show. Can this conference get three? Maybe. Its more likely to get just one.

Reaction Score
The talent and new scheme is there.
We will surprise a lot of teams especially if Gilbert’s 3 time operated shoulder holds up.
KO’s coaching stopped around the time of his marital problems and it short changed his players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom