We're Undefeated 5-0 | The Boneyard

We're Undefeated 5-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
You know what. Very few fans thought we would be 5-0 at this time. If will we beat DePaul Texas and ND everybody will be talking about an Undefeated season. This is a very good defensive team. We have 4 really good scorers. With that said what teams can defend us is what we should be talking about. I was at last nites game and expected a slow start after the long holiday layoff and we were. The second half was unbelievable. Now with DePaul tomorrow nite then Texas Saturday then @ ND UConn will be tested at the highest level. A couple of things need to happen over the next 3 games. UConn needs to have more scoring from players other then Lou Gabby and Collier. Butler needs to get to the next level because we are going to need her more. And everybody needs to stay out of foul trouble. If we can grow in those areas we will be really tuff to beat.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
You know what. Very few fans thought we would be 5-0 at this time. If will we beat DePaul Texas and ND everybody will be talking about an Undefeated season. This is a very good defensive team. We have 4 really good scorers. With that said what teams can defend us is what we should be talking about. I was at last nites game and expected a slow start after the long holiday layoff and we were. The second half was unbelievable. Now with DePaul tomorrow nite then Texas Saturday then @ ND UConn will be tested at the highest level. A couple of things need to happen over the next 3 games. UConn needs to have more scoring from players other then Lou Gabby and Collier. Butler needs to get to the next level because we are going to need her more. And everybody needs to stay out of foul trouble. If we can grow in those areas we will be really tuff to beat.
You know two of the next three games will likely be tough match-ups for Butler - DePaul is always a perimeter oriented team and ND really is as well, even with Turner. I haven't quite figured out TX yet (and I don't think Aston has either!) What is their current strength?
I like what I am seeing from Butler this year - she is choosing the right moments to shoot, when she has room she is making herself a good target for entry passes, and she is doing well rebounding and keeping her poise defensively. She is always going to have her awkward or clumsy looking moments, especially when swarmed by smaller players, and she is never going to be either a Tina or a Stef, nor a Kiah, but unlike much of Kiah's career she isn't going to look lost on offense. I don't know that there will be a 'next level' for Natalie, but I sort of like the current one in terms of this team and I don't want to place unrealistic expectations on her.

I agree about finding more scoring outside of the big three, but there aren't a lot of teams that have three players averaging 21, 18, and 12 ppg, and each very capable of 20 points on any night. And the team can live with a rotating cast of players stepping up on particular nights which is what they have had with Nurse, Chong, and Crystal who have all stepped up when needed. Nurse at 9.8 and Dangerfield at 9.0 ppg for the year is solid support. As a comparison - the three graduates last year provided 46 points to the current three's 51, and the next two provided 20 vs. 18. Not that different. Where the real difference comes in is the depth further down what is a shorter roster. But I also thing that the average quality of opponent through five games this year stacks up favorably vs. the average quality for the 38 games last season.

Reaction Score
UcMiami, let's not forget that the three graduates didn't play nearly as many minutes as the undergraduates. Had they played as many minutes, they would be on the plus side. Also, the five starters could all score. Not so this year. While Saniya had one good scoring game, she hasn't done much in the other four, and Kia has been off her offensive game. There's not a player on this year's team who could toe-to-toe with Breanna on offense. Katie Lou has to learn to post up harder, which will require her to get stronger. Also, Breanna was being guarded by guards.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
she is never going to be either a Tina or a Stef

Offense ran thru Stef as Geno had pointed out many times. the offense doesn't run thru Butler so she will not likely match the offensive abilities of a player like Stef, but this doesn't mean she works half as hard. I've noticed Natalie working very hard this season and is holding her own in the paint. I'm content with where she is right now in the season but I really wish some BYers would lay off her just a bit (not pointing at you Miami!). she still has time to make more of an impact this season. let's have faith :D

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
UcMiami, let's not forget that the three graduates didn't play nearly as many minutes as the undergraduates. Had they played as many minutes, they would be on the plus side. Also, the five starters could all score. Not so this year. While Saniya had one good scoring game, she hasn't done much in the other four, and Kia has been off her offensive game. There's not a player on this year's team who could toe-to-toe with Breanna on offense. Katie Lou has to learn to post up harder, which will require her to get stronger. Also, Breanna was being guarded by guards.
I wasn't comparing player to player, just overall production. This team definitely doesn't have Breanna or Moriah, though they might actually have a 'Morgan' player. But the minutes points to the issue I did mention which is the shorter bench and less production therefrom. This team is much closer to that team with a six/seven player rotation from a few years ago than last year.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Offense ran thru Stef as Geno had pointed out many times. the offense doesn't run thru Butler so she will not likely match the offensive abilities of a player like Stef, but this doesn't mean she works half as hard. I've noticed Natalie working very hard this season and is holding her own in the paint. I'm content with where she is right now in the season but I really wish some BYers would lay off her just a bit (not pointing at you Miami!). she still has time to make more of an impact this season. let's have faith :D
Boy I'd sure like to see Butler spend more time with the ball in the mid-post and her back to the basket. She's got the skills to make that work: a good medium jumper, an evolving baby hook, and a drop-step to the basket. She is a good passer, as well.

She's no Big Mama Steph, but then again, Big Mama was just getting started early in her Junior year. Time and opportunity will tell, but I foresee significant contributions at times this year, and a lot of solid play.

Reaction Score
Boy I'd sure like to see Butler spend more time with the ball in the mid-post and her back to the basket. She's got the skills to make that work: a good medium jumper, an evolving baby hook, and a drop-step to the basket. She is a good passer, as well.

She's no Big Mama Steph, but then again, Big Mama was just getting started early in her Junior year. Time and opportunity will tell, but I foresee significant contributions at times this year, and a lot of solid play.
Stef was in the crowd last night: maybe she'll stick around and practice with Natalie. Stef's greatest quality was her absolute refuse to lose. her last game, against ND in the NC, was a masterpiece.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Tony, I agree with your short and long term observations here. After the Florida State game, lots of posters were making all kinds of assumptions predictions about the Huskies.Before the season began, most lamented that UConn would lose 1-2 games this year. After the Baylor game, many of them began signing a completely different tune, some even hinting at a perfect season.

I chose to wait until 5 games into the season to make my assessments. Now (after 5 games) we know a lot more about this team than we did two weeks ago. We know who can be depended on to score, we know who can/can't depend on to play defense, and we know which freshmen we can use if they are needed while the game is still in doubt.

If UConn has any glaring weaknesses, they will be exposed over the next 3 games (DePaul, Texas & Notre Dame). After eight games, we'll have sufficient evidence to draw an intelligent conclusion on how viable/potent this team really is, and how far we can expect them to go. DePaul has already suffered an embarrassing blowout loss to Baylor at home (104-72). Texas has lost twice (Stanford 71-59 & Mississippi State 79-68), so they've lost the air of invincibility.

Then there's Notre Dame who is 6-0 as of today. They have dates with un-ranked Iowa (5-0) (at Iowa), and Valparaiso (3-2) at home, before hosting the Huskies. The Irish have only played one ranked team so far (#17 Washington 71-60). Notre Dame will play their first road game of the season tonight at Iowa. The UConn game will be their second legitimate test of the season. #2 Baylor was our first.

I believe UConn can/will win all three of these games, but they will be severely stressed/tested in all three. The huskies as you've mentioned, will need additional help on offense from other players besides Collier, Williams and Samuelson. These 3 can't score enough to hold off these teams. They collectively must also stay out of foul trouble. The more time any of them spend on the bench, aside from the periodic "blow", diminishes UConn's potential on both ends of the court. I look for them to play at least 33 minutes or more, if the game goes down to the wire. I have a feeling that Butler and Dangerfield will play important meaningful roles in these next three games, as they have become the first two players off the bench. I predict all three of these games will be close.

Carnac

Reaction Score

I would also like to see Butler put back any offensive rebounds she gets, instead of passing it out. She passing the ball to somebody that's farther from the basket that she is. If she put it back up,
she'd spend a lot more time on the line.

Reaction Score
Although a loss vs. a top team could happen at any time with this team, I am much less concerned about Texas and DePaul than about Notre Dame, South Carolina and Maryland. Those three are by far the most likely losses, IMHO.I figure UConn loses at least one a probably two, although which two is open to debate.

Reaction Score

I mean, what if EDD had stayed at UConn? What if Shea and Svet weren't injured vs ND?

Regardless, we're incredibly fortunate to watch great UConn women's basketball every winter. This year's team is fun to watch, and we'll be loaded in the coming years too. Very lucky - helps get us through the cold and darkness!

Reaction Score
Stef was in the crowd last night: maybe she'll stick around and practice with Natalie. Stef's greatest quality was her absolute refuse to lose. her last game, against ND in the NC, was a masterpiece.
Ok. Stef was there with Sveta; did you see who the other person was? Couldn't figure it out.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And if Tuck had stayed for one more year of eligibility we'd seriously be taking 5 in a row.
I think we are seriously talking 5 in a row. UConn's Top 5 stacks up against anybody. Only injuries and foul trouble can keep them out of the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom