We're UConn fans | The Boneyard

We're UConn fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
That's why were on this board, right? Speculation is fine, but let's stop nailing Omar Calhoun like we're in the red light district of Amsterdam. He's shown incredible dedication and determination through staying with us and he's a Husky through and through. We know he had a bad year, but let's get behind this kid and root for him to make some strides as a junior.

caw

Reaction Score
I think he'll rebound a bit this year and play a significant role as a senior as UConn threepeats.

Reaction Score
I like Omar and I hope he bounces back somewhat this year, however, I think some people need to temper their expectations. Omar didn't score a single point over the last 15 games of 2013-14. To expect him to start and/or average double digit ppg may be a bit overly optimistic. Nevertheless, I hope he bounces back to the point of being a solid contributor once again.

Reaction Score
Quite time get some " like" posts post.

OK. Let me try,

America %%€ Yeah!

We are Doomed!!!!!

That should be good for a 100 likes at least - right?

Yeah, no. Given what Omar went through on this board last year and the current starters thread the OP is completely justified. It's a good post.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I like Omar and I hope he bounces back somewhat this year, however, I think some people need to temper their expectations. Omar didn't score a single point over the last 15 games of 2013-14. To expect him to start and/or average double digit ppg may be a bit overly optimistic. Nevertheless, I hope he bounces back to the point of being a solid contributor once again.
didnt he average 11ppg i think his freshman year before having the surgeries and injuries? also before giff became the best 3 point shooter in the country?

Reaction Score
This has all been hashed and rehashed ; everyone in husky land is pulling for Omar.

This^^^^

I have not seen anyone say they are not rooting for Omar to be a solid contributor to this years team. Just because they don't believe he can break this years starting line up means very little as to how they think of him. Quite honestly even if he had a year like his freshman year LAST year I would still have my doubts as to whether he would with Rodney and Daniel on this team.

Hopefully everyone is all in regarding having a healthier and better Omar once again. If guys like he and Kentan improve from last years play our depth will be ridiculous.

Reaction Score
If guys like he and Kentan improve from last years play our depth will be ridiculous.
Which is why a lot of us believe Omar is the X-facot
this year. If he can be a good second option at the 3, the team can go from really good to great.

Reaction Score
of course we want Omar to do well... he was awful last year for a variety of reasons. BUT, let's not make it seem like he was this ridiculous shooter/scorer his freshman year either. 40% from the field and 32% from 3 will not cut it with the talent we have in the 2/3 positions.

Reaction Score
I don't see how Omar is "X-factor" on this team. There is way too much perimeter talent available for that. Whether Omar is really toast or can be a solid player isn't going to have nearly as big an impact as, say, Facey's development will to this season's team. If Facey can't stay on the floor, we're going to struggle up front all year. If Omar plays like he did last year, we'll just go three-guard a lot more, and we have more than enough guards to do that.

Reaction Score
I don't see how Omar is "X-factor" on this team. There is way too much perimeter talent available for that. Whether Omar is really toast or can be a solid player isn't going to have nearly as big an impact as, say, Facey's development will to this season's team. If Facey can't stay on the floor, we're going to struggle up front all year. If Omar plays like he did last year, we'll just go three-guard a lot more, and we have more than enough guards to do that.
I specifically said he can take this team from very good to great. I'm not saying he's the X-factor for the team to win. Everyone knows that one big question mark, with arguably our best perimeter trio in history (Bazz, DD, Neils) gone, is where the perimeter threat will be coming from. We don't know how DHam will shoot from out there at this level. We've only seen Facey do it unguarded in practice. TSam is not exactly a shooter yet. Neither was Purvis; apparently he's been improving his shot, but we haven't seen him produce from out there yet, and he's more naturally a guy who gets to the basket anyway. We don't know exactly what/how much SCJr will bring to the table. Boat is the only player on this team right now who has hit a decent amount of 3s in real-time speed.

So, if Omar can be a legitimate threat from 3 to force the defense to spread out more and allow our athletes some space/kick-out options, this team can be scary good.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
I want Omar to be great. And I think he can be. I want K-Face to average 6-8 ppg and pull down 6-8 rpg and I want Omar to score 8-10 ppg off the bench. If they can do that, Brimah develops a much as they're saying he has, Boat can be a good leader, D-Ham can score, and Purv can be the off-ball threat that Boat has been in the past then I think we will have a LETHAL and deep team. I am so optimistic with the potential of this team. Man I'm excited for the season to start.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Omar was Awesome as a Freshman and I think We All had High Expectations for him last year.
Last Year, was Hard to watch. Hopefully he gets back to his old and Great form.

I think We are All rooting for Him.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Omar was Awesome as a Freshman and I think We All had High Expectations for him last year.
Last Year, was Hard to watch. Hopefully he gets back to his old and Great form.

I think We are All rooting for Him.
While randomly Wasting capital Letters!

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
I do that to Emphasize the words.
and so people like you will write a meaningless comment.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I do that to Emphasize the words.
and so people like you will write a meaningless comment.
Hats off to you! I just type things in and then highlight any words with the Bold Button to emphasize things. I try to avoid the shift key as much as possible. As an aside check out the co-op store for great deals on husky apparel.

Reaction Score
of course we want Omar to do well... he was awful last year for a variety of reasons. BUT, let's not make it seem like he was this ridiculous shooter/scorer his freshman year either. 40% from the field and 32% from 3 will not cut it with the talent we have in the 2/3 positions.

Actually, as arguably the fourth option on a team rife with depth and injury problems, he did have a pretty dang good freshmen year. Firstly, not many UConn freshmen are asked to play 32 mpg nevermind average over 11 ppg. Secondly, up until the last 3 games of the year (he ended up sitting out the last game with an injury) when he was plagued with his own nagging injuries (I think he was having shoulder and wrist problems) he was averaging shooting percentages of around 44-45% from the field and around 34-35% from 3. That was until his last two games when he shot 2-21 from the field and 2-15 from 3 which dragged his percentages way down.

If he had even just replicated those numbers last year, instead of essentially losing the whole campaign due to injury/confidence issues, I think we'd all be bullish that he'd be the second option after Boat for this team going forward.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
You mean UConn BB fans?

Unless you are showing up at FB games supporting a not so good UConn product - then you are UConn fans!!

Omar is to the BB board what Chandler is to the FB board.

GO TEAM!!
:)

May Omar make many a poster apologize for their bad mojo and dissin' a college kid -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom