We're trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
2012-07-14-uconn-062-2.jpg

Nice picture. I am proud of it as well.

You do realize however that there was a time (not all that long ago, at least from my perspective) when our men's soccer and women's field hockey programs were able to view our men's hoops program as an embarrassment in similar proportions to what you (as a men's hoops fan) currently view the football program.

Reaction Score
Nope they suck and its ruining our basketball program!
How far back do you remember about UCONN basketball history? Do you remember how bad UCONN hoops SUCKED under Dom Perno...or do you just remember Calhoun's teams and the winning seasons?

Reaction Score
Nice picture. I am proud of it as well.

You do realize however that there was a time (not all that long ago, at least from my perspective) when our men's soccer and women's field hockey programs were able to view our men's hoops program as an embarrassment in similar proportions to what you (as a men's hoops fan) currently view the football program.
He doesn't remember back that far FfldCnty! He can't remember how bad we were under Perno at the end...or how Men's soccer and women's field hockey were national powers during that time. Because if he did..he wouldn't be making the idiotic statements he has posted im this thread!

Reaction Score
He fails to realize the great Yankee Conference Connecticut Huskies football program paved the way for basketball.

Reaction Score
Honest question for TateIsGreat: why bash the football program?

Because that is what microwave, college kids do. A perfect example is kids who will jump off KO's bandwagon, in a heartbeat, if he were to lose multiple games he should win. (not gonna happen by the way)

If you monitor the BB board during games you will see kid posters who throw every player and coach under the bus half way through the first half, down by 8 points.

The BB board's average age I'll bet is 16-29 (minus the football cross overs) where the FB board I'll bet averages 21-60.

While we suffer with the occasional drunken youth here on the FB board, the BB is much, much worse. Remember they have over 30 games.

It's a blessing when BB season starts. The ignorance on this board drops dramatically.

Remember the BB board fans only have to figure out 5 positions. Give them 22 and they get all duckckin confused.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
While the football team isn't highly ranked; UConn is a top 5 school in most dysfunctional fanbases.

Ignoring how idiotic Tate's overall premise is - Art's jihad against people who post on the basketball board is incredible.

Granted I often giggle to myself when women's basketball fans try to draw parallels between that sport and others, but are there other schools which such disdain between large factions?

Reaction Score
While the football team isn't highly ranked; UConn is a top 5 school in most dysfunctional fanbases.

Ignoring how idiotic Tate's overall premise is - Art's jihad against people who post on the basketball board is incredible.

Granted I often giggle to myself when women's basketball fans try to draw parallels between that sport and others, but are there other schools which such disdain between large factions?
In football mad SEC territory I'd wager a TON this happens at Tennessee.

Reaction Score

When I was at grad school at UT-Knoxville in the mid '70's, they had been to bowl games 10 years in a row. However, they weren't the right bowl games. They were expected to compete for the national title annually. So some alumni paid for moving vans to show up in front of the coach, Bill Battle's, house. After the bowl game that year, which UT won, they fired Bill Battle. Shortly thereafter they announced that they had hired Johnny Majors (ex-UT All-American) away from Pitt where he had won the national championship just 2 years before. They all had great things to say about Billy Battle, "He's a fine gentleman and a good Christian." In Tennessee being a good Christian is of major import. Ironically, all these years later, Billy Battle was hired by his alma mater Alabama to serve as interim Athletic Director to clean up some of the mess they have down there. Those years when they were 7-4 were like they were 4-7. It just wasn't acceptable. They must be going nuts down there now. Although they gave GA a good game losing in ot and they really should have won, and they beat South Carolina last weekend. They can turn things around a lot quicker down there.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

You think they have basketball and football fans who are odds with each other?

Reaction Score
PDGL took this program from competent BCS level to being the worst team in a mid major conference.

And still the media protected him.

You're right - once the decline started it accelerated to the point we are at now. Except for Jacobs, the media were, more or less, complicit. But we must support the kids and try to salvage something out of the season. The rapid decline has come at a particularly inopportune time because of the AAC fiasco, but we must soldier on and finish the season chin up.

"It is always darkest before dawn!"

Reaction Score
You're right - once the decline started it accelerated to the point we are at now. Except for Jacobs, the media were, more or less, complicit. But we must support the kids and try to salvage something out of the season. The rapid decline has come at a particularly inopportune time because of the AAC fiasco, but we must soldier on and finish the season chin up.

"It is always darkest before dawn!"

Except for Jacobs, the media are beat reporters. Not opinion writers. It's not their job to offer their opinions, it's their job to write about what happens in the most impartial way possible and to cause as little trouble for their struggling parent company as possible. It's also their job not to write anything which would basically restrict their access to the job just so they can take cheap shots as a coach. It blows my mind how many people expect beat writers to write scathing pieces on coaches, etc. That's the job of opinions guys like Jacobs or TV personalities on ESPN.

Reaction Score
You think they have basketball and football fans who are odds with each other?
I was referring to your comment about the wbb fans. Sorry if I was vague.

Reaction Score
Are we really bring trolled by other UConn fans now?!?! <sigh>. A new nadir.

Reaction Score
Except for Jacobs, the media are beat reporters. Not opinion writers. It's not their job to offer their opinions, it's their job to write about what happens in the most impartial way possible and to cause as little trouble for their struggling parent company as possible. It's also their job not to write anything which would basically restrict their access to the job just so they can take cheap shots as a coach. It blows my mind how many people expect beat writers to write scathing pieces on coaches, etc. That's the job of opinions guys like Jacobs or TV personalities on ESPN.

Asking a question like "It appears the OL is struggling after 2 seasons of a more zone centered blocking scheme. Do you feel enough progress has been made to continue these schemes or might an adjustment be needed?"

A legit question that a legit beat writer with balls would ask.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Are we really bring trolled by other UConn fans now?!?! <sigh>. A new nadir.

This....I can't believe how stupid some UConn fans are...if you don't have interest in the football team stay off this board. I love our bball team but I don't bother to head over there because I have no interest in discussing it. If the team were to take a nosedive (bball) I sure as hell wouldn't bash OUR team from OUR university. What a moron....

Reaction Score
Asking a question like "It appears the OL is struggling after 2 seasons of a more zone centered blocking scheme. Do you feel enough progress has been made to continue these schemes or might an adjustment be needed?"

A legit question that a legit beat writer with balls would ask.

I don't think it really is a legit question. It's basically an accusation in the form of a question. Everybody knows the score. Warde Manuel doesn't need to know whether or not Desmond Conner thinks zone blocking is working or not. Pasqualoni's job isn't dependent on hard-hitting articles in the New Haven Register.

We just exist in a blame culture, and blaming the media make people feel good, but it's largely irrelevant, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom