We're number 1! | The Boneyard

We're number 1!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
It feels good to gloat and I must admit I am somewhat happy LSU lost. It's not that I have anything against LSU. My happiness is that it illustrates just how incredible UConn's long-term accomplishments are. It's like when people were talking about a South Carolina "dynasty" beginning after their NC two years ago and they lost before the National Championship game last year. It's not that LSU or South Carolina are bad teams - they were excellent teams. But consistently achieving like UConn has over the last 30 years is amazing. Unbelievable, actually. Go Huskies. You make me - and several million other people - proud of your ability to achieve. You are loved!

Reaction Score
My second post on who's NO1. Uconn has been NO1 more weeks (years) than any other team out there in the last 30 years. It is our legacy and Uconn has worked diligently to and for that honor. By having the toughest OOC games scheduled of all the other teams, Uconn has earned the right to the NO1 spot and to stay there. Uconn is called the Capitol of Women's BB and no one has been more consistant at working at that and staying there. Yes, there are many good teams out there, but, none has the relentless assault to the basket and out side scoring AND the suffocating defense we possess. What a fantastic season we are going to have. GO HUSKIES!!!!

Reaction Score
This does not surprise me. While Geno the sly old fox was taking his team to Europe - essentially a team building exercise with a lot of new pieces, a number of LSUs high profile players were obviously not on campus this summer working out together but rather involved with individual projects. I was curious how that would work out and now we see. What's the old adage - there's no I in team

Reaction Score
Agreed. I don’t quite understand the way the voters think- though it seems that they place more value on where teams were placed on previous polls than strength of schedule. That’s ridiculous given that the polls on day one of the season are based on nothing but hype.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It feels good to gloat and I must admit I am somewhat happy LSU lost. It's not that I have anything against LSU. My happiness is that it illustrates just how incredible UConn's long-term accomplishments are. It's like when people were talking about a South Carolina "dynasty" beginning after their NC two years ago and they lost before the National Championship game last year. It's not that LSU or South Carolina are bad teams - they were excellent teams. But consistently achieving like UConn has over the last 30 years is amazing. Unbelievable, actually. Go Huskies. You make me - and several million other people - proud of your ability to achieve. You are loved!
This! It’s not how good a team is or how talented or who they play - is a team mentally prepared to take on all comers and find the mental fortitude to prevail time and time again? It’s really, really hard to win 100 times in a row at anything. UConn’s accomplishments have been far too undervalued.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This does not surprise me. While Geno the sly old fox was taking his team to Europe - essentially a team building exercise with a lot of new pieces, a number of LSUs high profile players were obviously not on campus this summer working out together but rather involved with individual projects. I was curious how that would work out and now we see. What's the old adage - there's no I in team
There is a "me" though.

Reaction Score
Great example of the pros and cons of Kim's on court and recruiting strategy. While in my opinion she continues to be one of the top coaches, she appears to win some recruits based on her more casual program. Based on many years of watching UConn's, Huskies have just as much fun but in different ways. Based on their success throughout their careers, their smiles don't end at graduation.

Reaction Score
LSU was as expected. They have a few individual talents but not the glue that holds them all together like they had last year. When Hailey Van Lith was running the point they looked lost and their defense was very lacking. It looked like a team that will be great on some nights but very mediocre on others.

JuJu was as advertised yesterday and Notre Dame without Miles looked like they did at the end of last year. As others have stated UConn makes being good all the time look easy when it absolutely is not. I thought UConn was clearly the best team heading into the season and nothing has changed for me.

Reaction Score
Another example of a good team beating better talent. Kim is a great coach and will have her team prepared by March. When one sees what can happen when a team plays together ( like Colorado) it really makes me appreciate Nika Muhl that much more.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
This! It’s not how good a team is or how talented or who they play - is a team mentally prepared to take on all comers and find the mental fortitude to prevail time and time again? It’s really, really hard to win 100 times in a row at anything. UConn’s accomplishments have been far too undervalued.
Because they are women. UCLA's men's accomplishments were not undervalued during their heyday. True WCBB fans realize UConn's women's basketball accomplishments will most likely never be duplicated.

Reaction Score
Because they are women. UCLA's men's accomplishments were not undervalued during their heyday. True WCBB fans realize UConn's women's basketball accomplishments will most likely never be duplicated.
True sports fans, period. If men can't appreciate athletic accomplishments just because the people involved are women, then they are not true sports fans. That's why you always see the great pros acknowledging female athletes/teams and the people who make negative comments are just the keyboard warrior losers on Twitter.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I agree that it’s hard to overstate UConn’s accomplishments . But it’s getting harder now because the talent pool is so much deeper. Top recruits have at least 20 or a little more solid landing places and then there’s the portal. We have been lucky fans.

I don’t think there is much doubt that the explosion of female athletic talent into basketball owes a lot to UConn (and its original rivalry with Tennessee) getting TV attention even if a lot of the kids today don’t know it or even dream of taking down UConn. And Geno is thrilled.

Reaction Score
I assume LSU will still have a very successful season............let's hope UConn has the chance to play them when it counts....... on April 7th.....

Reaction Score
If UConn blows out this week's opponent like they should, they'll go from 2 to 1 end of story. SC will probably climb to 2 or 3. You don't jump 6 spots especially if 2 has a good week.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If UConn blows out this week's opponent like they should, they'll go from 2 to 1 end of story. SC will probably climb to 2 or 3. You don't jump 6 spots especially if 2 has a good week.
South Carolina blew out #10 Notre Dame in Paris yesterday, 100-71. That’s a more impressive win than (hopefully) beating Dayton at home. I think the Gamecocks have a legit claim to the early season #1 spot.

Reaction Score
UConn faces some good competition in the next few games, let's talk about who is #1 and can stay that way after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom