"We're not going to get better defensively." | The Boneyard

"We're not going to get better defensively."

Reaction Score
Geno's comments in the UCF pre game.

Basically said "We've worked at it all season, and there are just things that aren't going to be fixed."

But added "We don't need to play great defense all game. We just need to play great defense when it matters. We didn't play great D against SC. But we did in the 3rd quarter."

Reaction Score
Man to man appears to be improving. Zone continues to be dumpster fire.

Reaction Score
Slightly exaggerating I think, as he also agreed that Ono's performance added an additional dimension in the SC game.

But I suspect he's referring to certain aspects of overall team D that aren't and won't be where he wants.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think that he is hoping and expecting that the team will be motivated to prove him wrong. And I am cautiously optimistic that they will.

Reaction Score
The zone is much more effective with Liv in the lane.

Reaction Score
Their zone was stellar during the SCar game, especially when Liv was live.
Agree that zone better with ONO but generally it has been very poor throughout year. Opinions vary but even SC got a lot of open shots. Cant think of any other game this year where UConn's zone could even be rated acceptable.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Agree that zone better with ONO but generally it has been very poor throughout year. Opinions vary but even SC got a lot of open shots. Cant think of any other game this year where UConn's zone could even be rated acceptable.
Until recently, it appeared to me that Geno was playing zone when, and only when, ONO was in the game. She is one of those interior defenders who (like Kaili McLaren and in some cases Azura Stevens) are not yet quick/mobile enough to be a good man-to-man defender to play in any defense except zone. It’s a sensible choice if the opponent lacks multiple 3-point marksmen.

But against UCF, it appeared that he was experimenting with a zone even when ONO was not on the floor, which may mean that he thinks it is getting better.

Reaction Score
It is difficult to play great defense when the opposing team puts a group of thugs on the floor and the refs just ignore obvious fouls to control the game.

Reaction Score
Personally, I'm a fan of pressure defense. I think he was playing around with that a month or so ago. We still may be starting games in that three-quarter court trap but he goes away from it after about 5 minutes.
IMO he's strategizing for short bursts of solid defense depending on the opponent that can jettison us into a lead, assuming "we are hitting shots".
South Carolina is your test case. They get off to a lead, UConn comes back, even game at the half, UConn gets stops in the 3rd quarter, game over.
IMO he's getting multiple D's ready for that kind of scenario. The D depends on what is needed.
YouTube the 3rd quarter against SC- that's the ticket!

Reaction Score
One more point that I think isn't mentioned enough. Multiple defenses.
When I played and coached it was "in vogue" to play multiple defenses and change defenses quickly and even on the fly. Dean Smith would have been one of the pioneers of this. There was always an opposing school of thought to this by other titans of the game, like Bobby Knight and Coach K, who only believed in man to man.
IMO Geno is reaching back a little to these bygone days of switching defenses. By doing this, he also takes advantage of our experience and general smarts. You can't employ this strategy unless everyone is in the right place all the time.
In an era, in which teams can score easily, a key stop here or there in a game can turn the tide. What if you can get a couple of stops or turnovers from the opponent being confused.

(BTW- anyone watch the Indiana-Purdue game -mens- last night. OMG 48-46. Reminded me of Norman Dale and Hoosiers)

Reaction Score
Sorry, me again.
While you're watching us win by 50 tonight, see if Geno switches defenses often. Announcers don't even pick up on it anymore, so he's not showing his hand. See if he can switch Ds on the fly or is it only after TOs or dead balls.

Reaction Score
South Carolina torched the zone in first half but it was more effective in third quarter.

Feels like it was extended a bit farther out and more aggressive.
Hear ya. I might re-watch it today. (snow day)
Seems like we challenged the 3s and also cut off dribble penetration by their tough guards and we got the big boost from Liv and "no layups" D that she provided.

Reaction Score
One more point that I think isn't mentioned enough. Multiple defenses.
When I played and coached it was "in vogue" to play multiple defenses and change defenses quickly and even on the fly. Dean Smith would have been one of the pioneers of this. There was always an opposing school of thought to this by other titans of the game, like Bobby Knight and Coach K, who only believed in man to man.
IMO Geno is reaching back a little to these bygone days of switching defenses. By doing this, he also takes advantage of our experience and general smarts. You can't employ this strategy unless everyone is in the right place all the time.
In an era, in which teams can score easily, a key stop here or there in a game can turn the tide. What if you can get a couple of stops or turnovers from the opponent being confused.

(BTW- anyone watch the Indiana-Purdue game -mens- last night. OMG 48-46. Reminded me of Norman Dale and Hoosiers)
I think you are spot on with a tactic that may or may not be a key to UConn winning NCAA's. Team may not be able to improve defensively but if Geno can create enough confusion and match up issues by switching defenses, could be worth the extra points we need in a particular game.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There’s lots of different ways to evaluate a team’s defensive ability. Last season, with 2 NDPOY’s and a 6’6” shot blocker/rebounder, UConn gave up 53.4 ppg. So far this season, UConn is giving up 55.9 ppg, basically one more basket per game.

UConn is not a bad defensive team. They are playing multiple defenses to keep opposing teams off balance and stay out of foul trouble. The Huskies this season may not be as good defensively as past Husky teams, but if they continue to execute on offense, they are plenty good enough on defense to win the whole damned thing.

Reaction Score
This team has had teams hit very tough contested 3s on them all year. They aren’t as bad defensively as many are saying. They are all very smart & can make up what they lack in height.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom