We're looking pretty dog gone good | Page 3 | The Boneyard

We're looking pretty dog gone good

Reaction Score
Not too concerned. So many people freaking out we lack a big, yet we literally landed Strong who can play the SF, and Jana as a center who is highly regarded by Geno. Arguably we have the best backcourt with Ziebell, Azzi, Paige, and Ash all being lights out shooters. We have forwards in Aubrey, Ice who showed great development towards the end, and Morgan has stated she can play a forward position with her height. Questions on Caroline and Ayanna however.
I think we still have to be concerned upfront. I am optimistic regarding two players that just have to be good if Uconn is going to be great, namely Jana at the 5 and Sarah at the 4. We need both of those to be very good on day one, and I think they probably will be, but expecting and more than that, relying and depending on them being very good in their initial season obviously has some risk until they prove themselves.

Even if we move past that, and assume they both will be very good starters from the get go, that is hardly problem solved. At the start we are probably looking at Ayanna and Ice as backups. They might be ok, but they were not in their first year, and frankly if that level continued this year, at least by Uconn standards our backup bigs would be a problem, and a big one if either had to start because of injury.

Both could make a major leap in their second year, but upgrading our big backups IMO is still an objective for that last roster spot next year. By midyear, Aubrey can be an answer at the 4, but I am not satisfied with the status quo upfront unless Ice and/or Ayanna make a quantum leap from their first year.

Reaction Score
I think we still have to be concerned upfront. I am optimistic regarding two players that just have to be good if Uconn is going to be great, namely Jana at the 5 and Sarah at the 4. We need both of those to be very good on day one, and I think they probably will be, but expecting and more than that, relying and depending on them being very good in their initial season obviously has some risk until they prove themselves.

Even if we move past that, and assume they both will be very good starters from the get go, that is hardly problem solved. At the start we are probably looking at Ayanna and Ice as backups. They might be ok, but they were not in their first year, and frankly if that level continued this year, at least by Uconn standards our backup bigs would be a problem, and a big one if either had to start because of injury.

Both could make a major leap in their second year, but upgrading our big backups IMO is still an objective for that last roster spot next year. By midyear, Aubrey can be an answer at the 4, but I am not satisfied with the status quo upfront unless Ice and/or Ayanna make a quantum leap from their first year.
Apparently, Geno agrees and that's why he continues to look for another big body in the front court.......

Reaction Score
Jana El-Alfy (no head to head with USA (see last bullet)):
El Alfy was the leading scorer and she was 2nd Team?

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Her team reached the Round of 16, then played consolation games that eventually sorted Egypt into 12th place. Given the maximum level of opponents that Egypt faced, being placed on the second team is notable — being rewarded and penalized at the same time.

‘She’s exceptionally talented’: UConn’s Jana El Alfy impresses throughout FIBA U19 World Cup
Ah okay. I wish they’d been able to face the US. Would really give us an insight to how she’ll do on the college field.

Reaction Score
Think about this. If Geno can take last years team to the FF can you imagine what he can do with a healthy roster in 2024/25???
That's exactly the point. As constituted now, this is a Final Four team absent a biblical plague of injuries. To me, it's about the last 2 games next year. If we are healthy and fresh, which we should be with our depth, Paige can lead us to the Promised Land. There are an awful lot of points in this line up, an awful lot of defenses that can be played, an awful lot of depth in the back and middle court, and an awful lot of match up nightmares for other teams.

Reaction Score
Yup, hoping for all of that good stuff you'all are talkin' ... and, there is still one roster spot available.

Reaction Score
Guys... let's all breathe.. We are good. We are more than good... With Sarah, Morgan, and Allie coming to Storrs, plus Jana, Azzi, Aubrey, and Ayanna coming back from injury, add in Ice's progress, and sprinkle in our amazing freshman class of KK, Ashlynn, and Q, we are going to be a freight train running thru every team. The trick is having a really strong OOC schedule. Respectfully, it appears that Big East play will basically be seen as practice sessions for Uconn to try out different plays and different starting 5 combinations.

WE ARE GOOD GOOD FOLKS :) !!!
And Caroline

Reaction Score
UConn has lacked an intimidating shot blocker since ONO graduated
My, how soon we forget.. :cool:
1000010108.gif

Reaction Score
Think about this. If Geno can take last years team to the FF can you imagine what he can do with a healthy roster in 2024/25???
very true if UConn's frontcourt can compete at the same level with Aaliyah Edwards gone........

Reaction Score
very true if UConn's frontcourt can compete at the same level with Aaliyah Edwards gone........
Last year's front court was either Paige and Liyah or Liyah and Ice or Ice and Paige. This year is Jana, Ay, Sarah and Ice with Aubrey as a 3/4. It will be different but the dividing line will be Jana. If she can defend the paint without foul trouble, get rebounds, be even an underneath scoring threat( she is much more based on what I have seen), and be a good not great passer, there is so much in the back and mid court I think the front court will be an issue only in a few games if that if they are not playing well. I think and have said that the most important thing about Jana is her personality, just as it was with Nika. There is fire there, there is a love there, and there is talent there to go with it.

Reaction Score
Last year's front court was either Paige and Liyah or Liyah and Ice or Ice and Paige. This year is Jana, Ay, Sarah and Ice with Aubrey as a 3/4. It will be different but the dividing line will be Jana. If she can defend the paint without foul trouble, get rebounds, be even an underneath scoring threat( she is much more based on what I have seen), and be a good not great passer, there is so much in the back and mid court I think the front court will be an issue only in a few games if that if they are not playing well. I think and have said that the most important thing about Jana is her personality, just as it was with Nika. There is fire there, there is a love there, and there is talent there to go with it.
I don't doubt her attitude or her skills but as we've seen many times things can get lost in the transition to the college game.........Jana is coming off of serious surgery and she hasn't played a single college game yet........I have high hopes that she will be not just a serviceable frontcourt player but a dominant frontcourt star but only time will tell.........

Reaction Score
Unfortunately we kinda won't be able to find out because of all the injuries but do you think the underclassmen can take the upperclassmen. At least give them a run for their money by August. I left out Azzi and Aubrey cuz I don't think they'll be part of the summer battles.

KC
PB
CD
Ice
Ayanna

Against

KK
AS
QS
Sarah Strong
Jana

In my head I thought it was too close but KC and PB are too tough. Id probably have KC switch places with KK to have the more competitive game.

Reaction Score
I don't doubt her attitude or her skills but as we've seen many times things can get lost in the transition to the college game.........Jana is coming off of serious surgery and she hasn't played a single college game yet........I have high hopes that she will be not just a serviceable frontcourt player but a dominant frontcourt star but only time will tell.........
That's right. I really hope she is healthy and can play well. Genp's comments about her are clockstopping. "I've never coached anyone better at UCONN in 40 years. Never in my whole life". He is referring to her as a person and her desire to help the team, her diligence and conscientiousness. I'm thinking "better than Diana, who would sit alone in the locker room and cry after practice because of the pressure on her?". I'm thinking Rebecca, Jenn, Maya, Sue, Shea, Bre, Nika? Geno throws around compliments like one of us throws around manhole covers, everything said is deliberate, well thought out and usually dead on accurate. This kid is something special I am sure. How special? C'mon, let's not wish away the summer.;)

Reaction Score
From mid-April on, I don’t trouble myself with injury fears. There’s plenty of time for that later. No need to get a head start. I simply assume full health of everyone until something actually happens.

Accordingly, as far as I’m concerned Jana will be fine in November, a super talented freshman ready to make lots of freshman mistakes. She’ll grow into something wonderful under our very eyes. Fire and passion can’t be taught and she has those virtues in abundance. I may start referring to her as “Big Nika.”

KK will build on her freshman experience and pick up the slack from Nika’s departure. Kaitlyn will have to fight hard to wrest some minutes from KK at first, and eventually they’ll become a wonderful platoon. Competing with KK may turn out to be the best experience of Kaitlyn’s career.

Ash will start in November, but Allie will get some minutes early at sg, and when Azzi returns full time it will become a solid 3-way platoon. Azzi may take the lead but Ash will get lots of minutes even in March. And Allie will get to learn from a pair of super talented teammates.

Paige will rule the roost at the wing, supported by Caroline and Morgan and Sarah and Q and sometimes Aubrey. This will be the most crowded position. Fortunately a few of these kids will be able to play pf at times too. The real power of Geno’s lineup will be revealed in the flexibility this group provides.

Ice Ayanna Sarah Aubrey and even Morgan and Q will get minutes at pf playing next to Jana. This may be the most interesting and even thrilling part of the coming season. It’s the one I’m looking forward to the most.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom