We're going through hell | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We're going through hell

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Well, there is a 99% involved but it’s more like 99%don’t go through having to actually worry about getting through a game with a full positional team on the court! This idea that we’re finally seeing what it’s like for the other teams is just a little over the top. There may come a time for that but this is not it! Virtually, all the otser teams may have to worry about winning, but not being able to put a full team on he court! I’m sure there are a few other teams that have matched (perhaps even exceeded) our current problems but not many!
Anywhere else, we'd probably still be reasonably deep with Gabriel and Deberry getting minutes. Granted, that doesn't help us at PG. Not criticizing, but there is a self-imposed UConn standard of readiness contributing to the situation. Leads to playing too much zone and too much fear of fouling.

Reaction Score
We have one thing in our favor; we are UCONN Huskies and we will never give up. We have always been in the Elite Class and will cope.
Really, Always in the elite class ??? You don't remember when UConn was not even on the map in WCBB (pre Geno )?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Is it the shoes? I know that the team is required to wear Nike shoes, but are they fitted to each individual, and do they all have a choice of which style to wear? Too many instances of foot injuries, just wondering if that could be the problem. Probably not, it just seems there are too many foot injuries than in years past.
Ah if we only had Olde Coach around.

Many years ago there was a spat of foot injuries. Actually I don't think there has really been a time when foot issues have not been at least a peripheral nuisance. It was one of Olde Coaches theories that shoe designs (Nike shoes) were a big contributor.

Combine that with his passion for free throw form and performance and he would be right in his element with this team. It seems what goes around comes around.

Reaction Score
LOL regarding the "Going through hell" wording. Reminds me of where I live in SC. When the NE was blasted by a heavy snowstorm, my neighbors were moaning because we had to bass fish or play golf in 50-degree weather. When we had a fire in our onsite restaurant, we moved the beer garden and grill to another facilities. Moaning since now instead of walking, folks had to drive golf carts a half mile. While by UConn standards, this is a rough year, the team is still around Top 10 and very interesting to watch. Once Paige comes back, Fudd and CW get their injury/covid wind back, we will likely be Top 5 team. Ain't it awful? ;)

Reaction Score
At some time, Uconn health and fitness staff and coaches should address long term injuries caused by overuse and devise
preventative protocals.

I agree and I'm surprised that it seems like it has not been addressed or addressed enough.

Reaction Score
The 2001 team was without Shea and Svetlana, and they had a double digit
lead at halftime of the national semifinals.

If this team can get that far it will have been a spectacular performance.

Reaction Score

Interesting article chronicling UConn's rollercoaster season, all the injuries, covid infections, transfers and so on, along with the challenge that players and coaches have faced in maintaining consistency and building team chemistry.
Covid19 and it's twin are normal daily life after 2 plus years. It is what it is. Injuries, while all have SOME, One has too many. The Virus we MUST live with. Injuries are another cross we/Uconn fans don't want to bear. \
Something isn't right, or the Basketball Gods have all aligned against Uconn . How long did Dorka sit out with injuries at Ohio,?
These are questions not condemnations of anyone anything. Because, even for hard training, hard practices, training with the Marines one summer, this is far from normal. Morgan, now coach had the Plantar issues and that didn't help her career. Others had feet issues, but even these were rare and not show stoppers. So what gives?
I seriously doubt another Div 1 team has had half as many injured players as Uconn. In 30 years of watching Geno, I've never saw him so down as he was after Providence.

Reaction Score
I would imagine that this is a common problem for all teams. However, it is especially noticeable at UConn WBB. As we see, it does change when a player does return then another key player sits down for a foot injury. This has got to be challenging for Geno and his staff. On the upside, a lot of players are getting an opportunity to perform where they might have just sat on the bench. In a way, the team is becoming stronger in depth.
Veryolddog, The Virus is approaching normal it is what we ALL must endure, for all teams. No other teams, I cannot believe otherwise, have not had so many injuries thus far this season. Add to that 2 transfers, at least one may have played recently. The 3 questions for you. 1. What other team has had injuries to the same number as Uconn. 2. Which ones have had so many feet injuries. 3. Who got opportunities that would not have otherwise gotten it? Fudd, Caroline, Amerie, Gabriel, (Dorka, Edwards, Caroline, Fudd would have shined thru and played. The 2 in the middle, haven't yet played good time . Dorka showed her stuff, Edwards isn't there yet

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Veryolddog, The Virus is approaching normal it is what we ALL must endure, for all teams. No other teams, I cannot believe otherwise, have not had so many injuries thus far this season. Add to that 2 transfers, at least one may have played recently. The 3 questions for you. 1. What other team has had injuries to the same number as Uconn.
Oregon. And their players were just as valuable to their team.

Reaction Score
At some time, Uconn health and fitness staff and coaches should address long term injuries caused by overuse and devise
preventative protocals.
Blame can't be assigned so quickly. First , you don't just assume they are due to overuse. I'm sure that any number of factors could be involved or it could be just a bad luck year.

And I'll wager that the staffs have been looking at every possibility.

Reaction Score
Oregon. And their players were just as valuable to their team.

The difference is that their players are back and 100% while the one player who is as valuable to UConn as all 3 Oregon players combined is still rehabbing.

I won't call it hell for fans simply because UConn lost one player for the year and expect their star back a month before the NCAA's. But Geno designed an offense to take advantage of his guards and must be in hell watching who's left run it poorly.

My advice to those trying to escape hell? Don't look back.

Reaction Score
For every 'No' their is a 'Yes' ! It has been difficult to perform when the first team has had so many members missing. The replacement players are getting great & valuable experience, some have regressed, be what it may, & transferred out. To me, Geno has come under great stress because so much is expected of him. However, in the end, it shall all balance out to be a positive experience. You must keep the 'Faith'!

Reaction Score
The 2001 team was without Shea and Svetlana, and they had a double digit
lead at halftime of the national semifinals.

If this team can get that far it will have been a spectacular performance.
Yes but that team also had Diana Taurasi, Sue Bird, Swin Cash, Asjha Jones, and Tamika Williams. The wonder is that they didn't come away with an NC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom