Were better then we look. | The Boneyard

Were better then we look.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Just a couple of comments. We won by 45 pts. The number 1 seeds played higher ranked teams and didnt. Our defense over the past 6 games has allowed only one team to score 0ver 40 pts. Every other team has scored 40 or less points. What other top 10 team has allowed that? Some fans are saying we're not playing really good and I can see that. Look at the results and dont tell me we are playing weak teams because the other top 7 teams are playing weak or weaker teams and some have lost. Just the fact that we are not jellin like we're used to seeing is imo a direct result of having our 14 different starting lineups as well as having an 11 day layoff. Just imagine as the games go by and we start jellin how good we're gonna look. Bottom line we arent there yet but we're heading in the right direction. Some posts about we better clean up missin bunnies and free throws and you right. Let me say this. What team has the defense and depth to keep UConn from scoring 70+ points? IMO there isnt a team that can do that and I also believe there isnt a team out there that will score 60+ pts against UConns defense because of out depth. Speaking of depth most other teams dont have UConns depth which will force them to have to be careful of foul trouble.

We arent perfect or up to UConn standards right now but we have so much going right we will be a very tuff out. We're better then we look.

Reaction Score
Agree!

When you play the kind of up-tempo defense this team has been taught and trained to do, it may occasionally look a little sloppy and we might toss it away after stealing it, but combine that with our depth and the result is it exhausts the other team. It's like the team that pounds its fullback into the line, play after play. There may not be any early spectacular gains, but by the 4th quarter that defensive line starts to tire. Rocky Marciano, who never lost a fight, used to spend the early rounds pounding the hell out of his opponent's arms, not earning any points, but by the late rounds his opponent couldn't keep his arms up high enough to protect himself. Geno has that perfect kind of team this year -- one that pays attention and learns to love his kind of defense, and just grinds down the opposition.

There are still some scary teams out there, but I agree with Tonyc that we still don't know how good this Huskies team really is. But I have a feeling we're going to find out pretty soon. And tomorrow could be the first reveal, when we're up against a team that plays the same kind of stingy defense that we play -- in national prime time, no less.

Reaction Score
What team has the defense and depth to keep UConn from scoring 70+ points? IMO there isnt a team that can do that and I also believe there isnt a team out there that will score 60+ pts against UConns defense because of out depth. Speaking of depth most other teams dont have UConns depth which will force them to have to be careful of foul trouble.
Careful- when we start to think it's a given that we'll crush anyone, or that no one else is as good or as deep, that's when we run into an Arizona or Mississippi State or Notre Dame. I agree that it would be helpful to not miss as many bunnies, but how do you do that? Maybe do a bunny practice drill over and over? Probably Geno is already incorporating that into practice.

As we play better teams in each round, they will have better defense, and our shots won't be there without a lot of work. But maximizing our strengths is still key. Christyn is a fantastic driving guard on breaks, hope we can turn rebounds into more fast break opportunities. Caroline is such a mismatch inside, she moves constantly, can plays be designed to free her up even more for isolation opportunities down low? Azzi and Paige are great shooters but if defenders close in too much, they can get by them hopefully and their pull-up jump shots are killer. Aaliyah, while she can shoot the elbow jumper, is really better suited banging down low (because up high she isn't a great passer).

I'm nervous and more confused about Nika than anyone. If we are trying to maximize strengths such as overall shooting prowess, what happens if someone like Nika just doesn't shoot or score much? Does she make up in defense whatever might be lost on offense? All the UConn guards, in my opinion, are good defenders anyway, and the team switching defense is a real strength now. Should we play her as a sub for Paige and go otherwise with some combination of Christyn, Caroline, Azzi and Evina for the extra offense they bring?

Reaction Score
I liked the well balanced scoring that occurred during this game and in the last 6 games of the season inclusive of the tournament. If someone is slightly off, then there is someone else who can make a difference in scoring. That ....... is a result of the platooning system of rotational play. Someone commented in another thread that they would like to see Paige score more. I diagree. I like a team that plays like a team and supports each other to be successful. There are other great players on this team and when the person who is most open and the best chance to score, let them score.

The defense has been really good. But it has to become more intense as the Team works its way up the ladder. I just do not want any player to become hurt doing the play.

Anything is possible including the perfect storm that will allow UConn play for he championship.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Eleven days to brush off the rust, get back into game mode. IMHO we'll see a different LOE and intensity during Monday's game.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Maybe not popular but last game is only good until the next game. Balanced scoring last game may not happen in Monday's game, we just don't know. Each game has a life of it's own, will our defense stay dominant, will our offense stay balanced? The only one of us with a crystal ball Is Carnac and he ain't saying. I celebrate our win Saturday, look forward to Monday's game while slightly holding my breath. I just know what has happened doesn't mean squat in the future. That said I am sky high on our chances of going to the biggest game, just forgive me for not mentally cutting down the nets just yet. :cool:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The mistake I think we as fans sometimes make is comparing this UConn team to Geno’s best, or even to what this team might’ve looked like if it had a chance to gel the whole year without so many players being out. It doesn’t meet either one of those incredibly high standards, but it is very good, almost unfathomably good, in terms of the number of players who can beat you on any given night.

Balance sometimes can be deceptive. If we had to rely on just a handful of players to do everything, they would be putting up incredibly gaudy numbers. Instead, our offensive stats are spread among a lot of good players. And a lot of the keys to our defense don’t even show up in the stat sheet. For example, there is nothing in the box score about forcing the shots to low percentage players (except perhaps the opponents shooting percentage averages), yet that is a key to how Auriemma game plans.

Having a balanced team is not critical to win against high seeds, but it is absolutely critical to win against top competition, at least to be able to win consistently. So don’t worry that Paige or Azzi isn’t going off for 40 points a game. It’s actually a very encouraging sign that we don’t need them to.

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I liked the well balanced scoring that occurred during this game and in the last 6 games of the season inclusive of the tournament.

Dog and Tony

I'm just a bit uneasy regarding that very thing...
It's a new approach to piling up the numbers

Perhaps, it was more common on past UConn teams when there were a lot of potential scorers...I don't go back that far.

Just thought Azzi and Paige didn't shoot enough
and Nika not starting reduced the defensive enthusiasm
And that Geno (out of senior loyalty) would refrain from not starting Christyn.

A bit of a dilemma.

What happens if the current approach his a snag...that could have been avoided if the right players were in from the beginning...

And Caroline having less court time, when in our hour of need, she stepped up big-time?

All legitimate quesions.

Of course, Geno may have worked these things all out.

Reaction Score
Just a couple of comments. We won by 45 pts. The number 1 seeds played higher ranked teams and didnt. Our defense over the past 6 games has allowed only one team to score 0ver 40 pts. Every other team has scored 40 or less points. What other top 10 team has allowed that? Some fans are saying we're not playing really good and I can see that. Look at the results and dont tell me we are playing weak teams because the other top 7 teams are playing weak or weaker teams and some have lost. Just the fact that we are not jellin like we're used to seeing is imo a direct result of having our 14 different starting lineups as well as having an 11 day layoff. Just imagine as the games go by and we start jellin how good we're gonna look. Bottom line we arent there yet but we're heading in the right direction. Some posts about we better clean up missin bunnies and free throws and you right. Let me say this. What team has the defense and depth to keep UConn from scoring 70+ points? IMO there isnt a team that can do that and I also believe there isnt a team out there that will score 60+ pts against UConns defense because of out depth. Speaking of depth most other teams dont have UConns depth which will force them to have to be careful of foul trouble.

We arent perfect or up to UConn standards right now but we have so much going right we will be a very tuff out. We're better then we look.
let's see what kind of gauntlet UCF puts them through...........if they elbow and body block enough and slow play to a crawl UCF might prevent UConn from scoring 70 points..........totally depends on the refs.......frankly I couldn't care less about point totals as long as UConn wins and there are no injuries beyond the usual black eyes, bruises and scrapes that always seem to follow a UCF game......;)

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
pro tip.
please don't miss this train at the station,
cuz if u miss it, i feel sorry, sorry for u.

funnest and bestest squad in years. coach knows it, and is enjoying the ride. smart dude.

check out ol bernie baseball in this. he does his part while in Bridgeport.
Bridgeport! the stars are aligned. see the karma, feel the karma, be the karma.

Reaction Score
The Huskies are for sure contenders to win it all. That's an amazing thing considering where this team was just six weeks ago.

But the weak link for me continues to be the inside game. Gains have been made in this are since last year's national semifinal for sure. But the team is not always sufficiently inclined to go hard to the rim, even when they have a size advantage over their opponents. There's just continuing execution and style-of-play barriers that make things challenging for us in this area. I worry that an overreliance on outside shooting could spell trouble against a really good team in a really big game, as it has in the recent past.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"It is better to look good than to feel good." Fernandez Lamas
oliver sacks something GIF

They look marvelous.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
The Huskies are for sure contenders to win it all. That's an amazing thing considering where this team was just six weeks ago.

But the weak link for me continues to be the inside game. Gains have been made in this are since last year's national semifinal for sure. But the team is not always sufficiently inclined to go hard to the rim, even when they have a size advantage over their opponents. There's just continuing execution and style-of-play barriers that make things challenging for us in this area. I worry that an overreliance on outside shooting could spell trouble against a really good team in a really big game, as it has in the recent past.
'But the weak link for me continues to be the inside game. '
and u'd be wrong!
ring, ring! ring, ring! who can that be on the horn? cool, it's aaliyah and dorka, i wonder what's on their mind? let's find out...

smart women.
fear the big dogs.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Dog and Tony

I'm just a bit uneasy regarding that very thing (balanced scoring)
It's a new approach to piling up the numbers

. . .
As you kind of allude, balanced scoring can be a two-edged sword. Everybody won't eat every game, so the team needs a few players who can go off and score 25 some nights. Thing is, this team has that.

Reaction Score

TONY C BEING TONY C. There are enough naysayers in the general public against Uconn. I'm happy we have YOU. Thanks Tony C.

Reaction Score
As you kind of allude, balanced scoring can be a two-edged sword. Everybody won't eat every game, so the team needs a few players who can go off and score 25 some nights. Thing is, this team has that.
That is a coaching delight, Balanced Scoring! I like kids like Fudd, Paige, Caroline, even Clark they are fun to watch. But great coaches seem to always figure out how to stop a Clark when that is the only scoring. With the current Uconn, pick your poison and your probably picked the wrong one on that particular night.

Reaction Score
After watching Iowa and South Carolina today, I'd say we look very good in comparison.
South Carolina is long long ways before Uconn even has to think about them. First it's Indiana, Nc st, and then their toughest climb Stanford before if both meet in the final.

Reaction Score
I agree, but where does Geno really stand? I think he has 6-7 players in his DNA when it becomes crunch time. I really like (I think most BY'ers do also) rotating 9. If your 6-7 players play better than the opponent, you win. If your 9 play well, is it enough to win? Thinking out loud.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom