Well there is no doubt | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Well there is no doubt

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Let me get this right.

An old man who I’m told is too physically compromised to walk near others in the XL Center is going to recruit NBA prospects to a start up D3 program.

They are going to ride busses to Southern Maine and Elizabeth City State U.

They are going to improve playing teams with 6’2 centers.

Ok.

C

Chief00

Let me get this right.

An old man who I’m told is too physically compromised to walk near others in the XL Center is going to recruit NBA prospects to a start up D3 program.

They are going to ride busses to Southern Maine and Elizabeth City State U.

They are going to improve playing teams with 6’2 centers.

Ok.

Who are you, Rick Pitino coaching against Northeastern at BU?
And 1 - It’s like saying 30 years ago, some crazy Irish guy from Boston is going to win 3 MBB championships in Storrs, CT.

pj

Reaction Score
I guarantee Calhoun’s players will be paying something close to zero.

Is this because of need-based scholarships? Or is Calhoun planning on getting in trouble with the NCAA again?

Good timing in a way, Adidas does need to find a new lead program.

pj

Reaction Score
And 1 - It’s like saying 30 years ago, some crazy Irish guy from Boston is going to win 3 MBB championships in Storrs, CT.

There's no doubt that if Jim Calhoun is going to take the trouble to coach a team, he's going to do his damndest to win the biggest title they can compete for.

C

Chief00

Is this because of need-based scholarships? Or is Calhoun planning on getting in trouble with the NCAA again?

Of course, Adidas does need to find a new lead program.

Need base financial aid, academic scholarships and other arrangements available to the whole student population.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

So let’s say this happens. I’m supposed to be excited or happy about this while his hand picked successor burns UConn’s program to the ground.

Pass.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
daquan brooks from westconn had tryouts with brooklyn nets so chief isn't as crazy as he sounds
I was a student at WCSU at that time, so it's accurate. Aaron Hernandez used to attend game cause he was boys with Daquan.

Reaction Score
I think Devean George was a D3 player who was drafted. Can’t think of any others. (Terry Porter? Or was that NAIA?)

But Calhoun was in Boston this weekend scouting prospects.

Five Players From D3 Schools Who Made it to the NBA

correct on terry porter. Brad Stevens made the jump from coaching D3 to the NBA so maybe JC can be #2 in a few years at the ripe old age of 78.

Reaction Score
I think Devean George was a D3 player who was drafted. Can’t think of any others. (Terry Porter? Or was that NAIA?)

But Calhoun was in Boston this weekend scouting prospects.

Denis Rodman was at a community college and then played D2 and got drafted in second round. Not D3 but still pretty unusual

Reaction Score
The best D3 teams are pretty damn good and comparable in talent with maybe a little less athleticism to Coppin State level players. Lower level D3 teams can be beaten by good high school teams. New England has some of the best d3 teams every year. Teams like Williams and Amherst recruit from all over the country and even internationally. When I played over 10 years ago, there were some D1 talents from places like Maine that just never really got seen by the right colleges and ended up playing d3. Now, most of those kids get scooped up and receive scholarships or go to a prep school to try to get one...but d3 schools still find some very skilled players.

Reaction Score
This is a roster from Williams College last year. As you can see, they have big kids from all over the country. At the top, D3 basketball is high quality. Calhoun is very ambitious if he thinks he can win a national championship his first year, but it would awesome if he really goes for it.

D1 to D3 transfers do happen, as well. Sacred Heart University's starting point guard transferred to Eastern Connecticut several years ago. He was a talented player and made first team all conference when he got there but it wasn't as if he looked leagues above everyone else.

Attachments

• IMG_4281.JPG
    IMG_4281.JPG
    646.5 KB · Views: 36
Reaction Score
This is a roster from Williams College last year. As you can see, they have big kids from all over the country. At the top, D3 basketball is high quality. Calhoun is very ambitious if he thinks he can win a national championship his first year, but it would awesome if he really goes for it.

D1 to D3 transfers do happen, as well. Sacred Heart University's starting point guard transferred to Eastern Connecticut several years ago. He was a talented player and made first team all conference when he got there but it wasn't as if he looked leagues above everyone else.

You are probably aware of the fact that there is a kid currently at Michigan who is starting and who transferred from Williams.

Reaction Score
The best D3 teams are pretty damn good and comparable in talent with maybe a little less athleticism to Coppin State level players. Lower level D3 teams can be beaten by good high school teams. New England has some of the best d3 teams every year. Teams like Williams and Amherst recruit from all over the country and even internationally. When I played over 10 years ago, there were some D1 talents from places like Maine that just never really got seen by the right colleges and ended up playing d3. Now, most of those kids get scooped up and receive scholarships or go to a prep school to try to get one...but d3 schools still find some very skilled players.
Most probably have 3 point shooters better than ours.

Reaction Score
Was wondering why I could not find anything on St. Joes (CT) on the D3 site and only St Joes (Maine) showed up. I missed the detail that they start their first season in 2018. I think that D3 site will get a lot more traffic next year from CT...Just to see how this experiment goes. Should prove interesting.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
In many cases Div. 3 = undersized or issues
With grades

Reaction Score
Why didn't Calhoun try and snag the ECSU job if that's the case? Never mind, that's a state school... probably not as much funding....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I feel like many of you have never seen a D-3 game....

I went to the Little East Tourney 2-3 years ago when it was in Willi... 90% of the schools could put together an intramural team that can beat the school’s team.

It’s brutal to watch.

Reaction Score
I feel like many of you have never seen a D-3 game....

I went to the Little East Tourney 2-3 years ago when it was in Willi... 90% of the schools could put together an intramural team that can beat the school’s team.

It’s brutal to watch.
I feel like you're pretty uninformed on this topic. I actually played in the Little East and the basketball is very solid. Players like Daquan Brooken, D1 transfers from schools like Sacred Heart, D3 All-Americans who end up playing overseas are scattered around the top teams in the Little East. When I played we had an All-American who played pro in Germany on my team in addition to a 6'10" transfer from College of Charleston. Maybe you saw a game between the bottom feeders of the league, but there is some high level D3 talent that an "intramural team" wouldnt be able to compete with. I agree that there are low-level D3 teams that stink, but the high level teams can be very talented.

FWIW - I'm still bitter about gettting robbed of a 3rd team all conference selection my senior year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I feel like you're pretty uninformed on this topic. I actually played in the Little East and the basketball is very solid. Players like Daquan Brooken, D1 transfers from schools like Sacred Heart, D3 All-Americans who end up playing overseas are scattered around the top teams in the Little East. When I played we had an All-American who played pro in Germany on my team in addition to a 6'10" transfer from College of Charleston. Maybe you saw a game between the bottom feeders of the league, but there is some high level D3 talent that an "intramural team" wouldnt be able to compete with. I agree that there are low-level D3 teams that stink, but the high level teams can be very talented.

FWIW - I'm still bitter about gettting robbed of a 3rd team all conference selection my senior year.

No offense. You are nuts.

I did radio play by play for a division III team for multiple years. I’ve had the misfortune of seeing hundreds of D3 games.

Yeah a handful of players with no options randomly show up now and again.

By and large 90% of the D3 teams in the country are terrible.

You don’t think the 8 best intramural players at UConn could compete in the LEC? Ha.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom