Well, That Was Refreshing | The Boneyard

Well, That Was Refreshing

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Nothing but good coming out of tonight.

First half was just domination getting to the rim and making a ridiculously high percentage of shots.

Second half was more e haphazard but saw more shooting from outside.

Individually, all the top 8 looked good and knew their roles. Diggins, Johnson and Springs looked like moment was bigger than them tonight.

Cole. Very good game. Under control at a times. Would take tonight's performance every game. Not just the raw numbers but his pace and composure.

Akok and Jackson. Just so active on defense and moving from defense to offense. I lost count how many times they would hedge on the perimeter and then get a rebound. Or, just moving from defense to the rim on offense. Bonus on Jackson's FT shooting. He can get to the line a bunch with his drives to the hoop. He can make 80% and that really good.

Polley nice game as well being active and doing what he does best.

Sanogo. My goodness. The ball just gets to the rim so softly. And the foot work. And the made FT's.

Gaff very good as back up. He and Cole had a real good run for about 5 min in first half where Gaff freed up Cole to be a scorer.

Whaley was quiet.

Martin, good game but we saw him do this last year against lesser competition. He's the one player whose performance tonight worried me against higher level competition. But for tonight it worked. Except when he tried to make plays off the dribble. That ended up poorly Everytime tonight

Great job by Hurley and staff rotating players in and out. Yes, it was CCSU but there were so ma u combinations that seemed to work and mesh.

Very relaxing game to watch.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nothing but good coming out of tonight.

First half was just domination getting to the rim and making a ridiculously high percentage of shots.

Second half was more e haphazard but saw more shooting from outside.

Individually, all the top 8 looked good and knew their roles. Digging, Johnson and Springs looked like moment was bigger than them tonight.

Cole. Very good game. Under control at a times. Would take tonight's performance every game. Not just the raw numbers but his pace and composure.

Akok and Jackson. Just so active on defense and moving from defense to offense. I lost count how many times they would hedge on the perimeter and then get a rebound. Or, just moving from defense to the rim on offense. Bonus on Jackson's FT shooting. He can get to the line a bunch with his drives to the hoop. He can make 80% and that really good.

Polley nice game as well being active and doing what he does best.

Sanogo. My goodness. The ball just gets to the rim so softly. And the foot work. And the made FT's.

Gaff very good as back up. He and Coke had a real good run for about 5 min in first half where Gaff freed up Cole to be a scorer.

Whaley was quiet.

Martin, good game but we saw him do this last year against lesser competition. He's the one player whose performance tonight worried me against higher level competition. But for tonight it worked. Except when he tried to make plays off the dribble. That ended up poorly Everytime tonight

Great job by Hurley and staff rotating players in and out. Yes, it was CCSU but there were so ma u combinations that seemed to work and mesh.

Very relaxing game to watch.
Least anxiety UConn game I can remember and in the best possible way.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
whoa. my thought at endgame was 'well, that was pleasant,' and you roll with the same idea. did u have pizza too?

richie got big.

Reaction Score
i actually thought whaley played a perfect game tonight, outside of the turnovers -- played good defense, a couple of nice passes, and finished around the rim. hard to say that martin had a worrisome game with 14 points on 6/9, but i agree that he needs to do it against better competition.

i was really impressed with cole and akok. jackson showed (incredible) flashes. and sanogo was the best of all of them.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
this team needs to learn how to throw the lob in transition though, haha. probably missed 4 or 5. my only criticism tonight.

It's mostly due to not having the right player throwing the lob.

I know. Master of the obvious stuff but I really only trust Gaff, Jackson or Cole throwing an alley oop lob while in motion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Can't really take anything away from a game like this. We haven't had a lot of early season blowouts lately. It's nice because it is an opportunity to get the freshmen on the court. I'll will say this, they looked more comfortable playing fast than we have seen in recent past.

Reaction Score
Positives all around.

My biggest plus from the game was Akoks play. There were a lot of off-season comments questioning if he would be fully healthy but I think his play answered those questions.

He had a very good stat line but to me, his energy was what we all wanted to see. No hesitancy, quick off his feet, attacking the defenders shot, putting himself in the right position on both sides of the court and just looking like he did pre injury.
Welcome back AA.

Reaction Score
anyone else think that Whaley looked bulkier than last year and not quite as quick?

Reaction Score
Great passing all around plus the team looked to run way more than the past few years. Akok is back which is a huge asset and for those who were not there got a huge ovation when he entered the game. Polley played good D often trying to cover players much shorter than him.
As expected the defense was full bore all game and no one went through the motions.
Jackson! Excellent defense by him on his man and hedging and looking to block shots. He is worth more than the price of admission. It is like we have a velociraptor on the court when he is in. His floater is a nice way to avoid charges. There were a few missed dunk/ conversions and an in and out 3 but that will come. What a talent.
Diggins started slow but settled in. Nice to have him getting time this year.
Gaffney was very efficient shooting, playing D and running the team. Looked very confident.
Springs has good instincts and is someone I would like to see get more time if that is possible.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Can't really take anything away from a game like this. We haven't had a lot of early season blowouts lately. It's nice because it is an opportunity to get the freshmen on the court. I'll will say this, they looked more comfortable playing fast than we have seen in recent past.

You say two things in and of themselves which are noteworthy.

This team easily blew out a team it was supposed to blow out.

This team looked comfortable playing fast and played pretty good playing fast.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Granted it's CCSU, but the starting five shot 74% from the floor. Certainly part of that is the competition and our bigs had their share of dunk, but I'd like to think some of it is simply improvement and taking better shots. RJ now looks like can lead this team to the promised land - great decisions and floor management, zero TOs. Akok is a bonus. Looks like a good squad to root for, likeable, competent and fun to watch.

Reaction Score
-Look, I know it was vs. CCSU, but:

- 8-13 (61.5%) from 3pt range was not too shabby. Andre's 1 attempt at a 3 looked pure, too...just didn't fall. All you "zOmG wE cAn'T ShOoT" negative nellies, let me know how you want your crow cooked. I think our shooting may be improved this year

-Defensive movement and activity looked really good. Turnover stats speak for themselves

-FT shooting was solid, especially from Sanogo & Jackson, who look to have many attempts/game

-Whaley was great on D & a steadying force out there

-Akok may have lost a little vert, but seemed to move quick, played tough smart D and active offensively

-Martin & Cole were great

-Gaff overall played well, showed good signs of improving his north/south game

-Polley much more active on D (though made a few oops mistakes), offense looked fine

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom