Well, Kevin made #1 in something | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Well, Kevin made #1 in something

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Well considering how hard you’re trying to kill anyone’s enthusiasm about the future, it comes off as if you don’t support a change. Even though I know you’re rooting for our success too.

First off, anyone who looks through my posting history can find dozens of statements supporting a change since the new year alone.

I think a lot of the enthusiasm is foolhardy and clouded by blue glasses. It's also crossed the line from enthusiasm to certainty in many cases. There have been plenty of references to Chris Holtmann turning OSU around in one year anticipating the same thing happening here, and that makes me think it'll be a big disappointment when the new coach doesn't have us ranked in the top 10 by February. It's to be expected when so many of the myriad legitimate criticisms of Ollie are followed up by a ridiculous "Calhoun would have never ____."

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
And Stairmaster. Who might or might not be Ollie’s mother.

Nope. You're wrong.

It's clear to everyone that you have no legs to stand on when you're not only completely fabricating someone's position, but pulling out the old "they must be a relative" canard based off those fabrications.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
And Stairmaster. Who might or might not be Ollie’s mother.
Some might say--indeed I'm sure I did say--that you were actively rooting for Ollie to fail out of the gates because you so desperately wanted to be correct in your Herb Sendek prediction.

But lately I've been trying to keep in mind some of the wisdom collected by John Perry Barlow, including:
  • Never assume the motives of others are, to them, less noble than yours are to you.
  • Concern yourself with what is right rather than who is right.
  • Never forget that, no matter how certain, you might be wrong.
So, in that spirit, I won't ascribe ill motives to either one of you.

Reaction Score
"Once a school that almost always landed at least one top-50 player per year, Ollie has turned UConn into a program that 5-star guys are almost unwilling to even consider."

OUCH!!!
That has more to do with conference realignment than KO. UConn once was a member of the best college basketball conference in America. Now we are in a conference with a collection of teams that have nothing in common and have no rivalries. UConn was basically left on the island of misfit toys. That is why we are not attractive to top recruits. It's as simple as that.

Reaction Score
That has more to do with conference realignment than KO. UConn once was a member of the best college basketball conference in America. Now we are in a conference with a collection of teams that have nothing in common and have no rivalries. UConn was basically left on the island of misfit toys. That is why we are not attractive to top recruits. It's as simple as that.

Or we are just not paying that well... Hami says Hi

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We are a terrible fit for this conference culturally and geographically and that hurts us.

I think we have done much more to help other AAC teams get recruits by adding to the perceived prestige of the conference, all the while declining in our own prestige and recruiting power.

But Ollie should have done better with what he had, and by too many accounts he stopped working hard at his job.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Don't forget Starimasters who believes nobody can succeed here so why try to replace KO.

Search through my post history and tell me how many times I've said KO needs to go, be fired, be replaced, whatever the language is.

You do a great job of showing the board you don't know how to read when you make posts like this. Really bush league stuff.

Reaction Score
Search through my post history and tell me how many times I've said KO needs to go, be fired, be replaced, whatever the language is.

You do a great job of showing the board you don't know how to read when you make posts like this. Really bush league stuff.
Bush league? Way to be over dramatic. I'm just going from your previous posting history where you always backed KO even though some of us noted that he isn't the right coach back to during the '15-'16 season. Next thing I know this year you started taking the stance that nobody is going to succeed replacing KO because we are already irrelevant.

Well some of us still think UCONN has name recognition, a great practice facility, history and school and community support to be a decent team in the college basketball landscape. We all realize one more year of KO is going to make that a more daunting task but not trying is basically just giving up. I still believe in our administration even with the big buyout will find a way to get rid of KO and bring in a decent coach even it isn't DH. Is he going to have JC success? I don't think anybody is foolish to believe that since we are in the AAC but most think we should finish in the top 3 of this league every year.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I don't care if KO stays or KO goes - I do believe that it is time for some type of change
This article is not only elementary at best but full of crap on so many levels IMHO.
And not talking only about the KO stuff either
To allow Kevin Stallings some slack for having injuries and not recruiting top players ?
For those who love this stuff - enjoy

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Bush league? Way to be over dramatic. I'm just going from your previous posting history where you always backed KO even though some of us noted that he isn't the right coach back to during the '15-'16 season. Next thing I know this year you started taking the stance that nobody is going to succeed replacing KO because we are already irrelevant.

Well some of us still think UCONN has name recognition, a great practice facility, history and school and community support to be a decent team in the college basketball landscape. We all realize one more year of KO is going to make that a more daunting task but not trying is basically just giving up. I still believe in our administration even with the big buyout will find a way to get rid of KO and bring in a decent coach even it isn't DH. Is he going to have JC success? I don't think anybody is foolish to believe that since we are in the AAC but most think we should finish in the top 3 of this league every year.

I would love for you to please tell me who out there that is a name coach that can attract top talent to a non P5 conference on a consistent basis that would want to be in that situation.
Dan Hurley, beyond what some claim they "have heard", has not publically even blown a sneeze that indicates his desire to be UConn bound. In addition, he has no P5 type experience and his OOC record is not solid at all.
This is far from an easy search
You use the word "decent" what does that mean? - it covers a lot of ground.
I want UConn to return to where it once was, however, I realize that the conference situation, whether some want to admit or not, has hurt much more than first expected. It's abundantly easier to recruit into a P5 than not.

As far as the 15-16 season issue - was he ok in 12-13, 13-14, 14-15?

If the right coach comes along, someone who has proven they can recruit top talent at a non P5 school and the BoD and ADBD decides it's the right move - great, I'm all for it
BUT I am not settling for decent - no way no how

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
We are a terrible fit for this conference culturally and geographically and that hurts us.

I think we have done much more to help other AAC teams get recruits by adding to the perceived prestige of the conference, all the while declining in our own prestige and recruiting power.

But Ollie should have done better with what he had, and by too many accounts he stopped working hard at his job.

Great post

Reaction Score
I would love for you to please tell me who out there that is a name coach that can attract top talent to a non P5 conference on a consistent basis that would want to be in that situation.
Dan Hurley, beyond what some claim they "have heard", has not publically even blown a sneeze that indicates his desire to be UConn bound. In addition, he has no P5 type experience and his OOC record is not solid at all.
I want UConn to return to where it once was, however, I realize that the conference situation, whether some want to admit or not, has hurt much more than first expected. It's abundantly easier to recruit into a P5 than not.

If the right coach comes along, someone who has proven they can recruit top talent at a non P5 school and the BoD and ADBD decides it's the right move - great, I'm all for it
Yep that's what coaches do, they publicly announce they are going to be coaching at another school next season.

Not even going to analyze the rest of this, it's mind-numbingly stupid.

Reaction Score

While you say your not settling for decent your already settling for horrifically bad. There are no guarantees other then it would be almost impossible for UConn to find a coach that is nearly as bad as KO is currently, just sayin.

Reaction Score
Nope. You're wrong.

It's clear to everyone that you have no legs to stand on when you're not only completely fabricating someone's position, but pulling out the old "they must be a relative" canard based off those fabrications.
You’re right. It’s everyone else who is wrong. Amazing that an entire board of strangers can misread your posts...wow. “Mr So Misunderstood, your table for one is now ready.”

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
You’re right. It’s everyone else who is wrong. Amazing that an entire board of strangers can misread your posts...wow. “Mr So Misunderstood, your table for one is now ready.”

Check my posting history. I’m very clearly in the right, as I’ve explicitly called for Ollie to go repeatedly this year.

It’s clear that you and many others have certain emotional issues that cause you to have trouble comprehending what other posters actually say and construct your own reality to feel better about yourselves. And you know what? I get it. This is a tough time for UConn fans, and I can certainly imagine that the basketball program is having a legitimate effect on people’s psyches. However, that doesn’t mean you get to choose what’s truthful or untruthful based on what feels emotionally cathartic.

Reaction Score
Check my posting history. I’m very clearly in the right, as I’ve explicitly called for Ollie to go repeatedly this year.

It’s clear that you and many others have certain emotional issues that cause you to have trouble comprehending what other posters actually say and construct your own reality to feel better about yourselves. And you know what? I get it. This is a tough time for UConn fans, and I can certainly imagine that the basketball program is having a legitimate effect on people’s psyches. However, that doesn’t mean you get to choose what’s truthful or untruthful based on what feels emotionally cathartic.
Allow me to spell it out for you. It has nothing to do with whether or not you’ve called for Ollie to be fired. You have hijacked EVERY thread with your ridiculous know-it-all tone citing how idiotic everyone/anyone is to have expectations that the next coach will be better than Ollie. You literally could have asked a mod to post it one time at the top of the threads and spared the entire Boneyard from your stupid repetitive posts on this topic. Dude, take the hints and mod warnings and lack of likes and just shut up already. It’s you. You’re wrong.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What about the part where it calls Larrier a "negative on both sides of the floor"? Clearly not Ollie's fault, he's only coached him for 3 years.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
"Our program and league continue to get better each year. Come play for us and you can beat UConn and the guy who coached them to their 4th National Championship."

Reaction Score
I wonder how many of this top 50 kids got paid in some way that we were unable to it unwilling to compete with (hopefully the latter).

Reaction Score
What about the part where it calls Larrier a "negative on both sides of the floor"? Clearly not Ollie's fault, he's only coached him for 3 years.

You can use others but Larrier not a good analogy. He’s about 22 and doesn’t really play all that hard not is he very bright on the court. Sure some is on KO because he plays him too much but between Shaka and KO he should’ve learned something but he’s just not as good as he thinks. Not on either coach with this guy he just doesn’t want to get hurt out there. (Although his 9 rebounds the other night showed a pulse)

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
You can bring top 50 recruits to this program in this conference. Maybe not to every program, but certainly this one. You can even coach them, develop them and actually win with them.

I know that news will disappoint some folks who are hoping against hope that the next coach is a complete failure.
Fish well put. If you think the reason Cincy doesn't get consideration as a 2 seed in the tourney is the conference look in the mirror. If we were half more competitive the conference would get that much more respect.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom