Votes: 65 47.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Looking forward to this game! Everyone will be psyched for it & it'll be a good one, I'm betting. My big question is why would anyone wanna be a GAME COQ?

Reaction Score
Well I appreciate your sense of humor scrooster. I like our chances but who knows, right? All your southern understatement notwithstanding, I get the sense that you like yours as well.

I don't think you guys have been tested like you will be on Monday so it hard to predict how you will react. All the pieces are there. Stately is a good coach. You have the talent. (I would have loved to have seen A'ja in Storrs... but I guess I will on Monday.) I'm looking forward to a good game with no injuries on either side. Regardless of who wins, I suspect we may be seeing each other again.

P.S. - "I've been following y'all since the AIAW days when we had Pam Parsons." I highly doubt it. Which team from those days particularly sticks in your memory?

Glad to see most of y'all have a sense of humor. Y'all don't seem nearly as bad as everyone says y'all are - so far.

It should be a fun game to watch. I think most of the pundits have y'all winning at home - I know it's going to be very tough for my Gamecocks but Dawn should have them ready to play. I expect it to be some kind of intense - a real battle.

With regard to your "PS:" I dunno. You may be right. I may be pulling a Brian Williams here and thinking about South Connecticut instead. I just thought I remembered this girl, Chris Gedney I think her name was, trying to transfer to South Carolina to play for us down here when Pam Parsons had us highly ranked, and all the stink I remember about it and the AIAW got involved and let her go back to UConn ... or at least I thought it was UConn but you're right, it may have been South Connecticut I am thinking of. I'm trying hard to remember - I'm getting old - who did Wanda Flowers coach for, was it 'y'all or South Connecticut?

PS: I'm pretty sure I remember y'all coming down here to play us in '79, but I may be wrong. I'm pretty sure that's how the re-connection with the Gedney girl occurred because we had recruited her out of Maryland but she when to UConn ... I think. We were ranked something like #2 in the country at the time, or at least Top 10. That Gedney girl lit us up - I remember seeing her and Parsons talking on the court after the game. The reason I remember it so well is because Frank McGuire's wife was a local girl from where I grew-up and she had given us courtside tickets to that game because she was a huge women's basketball fan. So we were sitting literally right behind the bench for that game, and a few others we attended that season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Looking forward to this game! Everyone will be psyched for it & it'll be a good one, I'm betting. My big question is why would anyone wanna be a GAME COQ?
Hopefully, by the end of the game, they'll be Coc au vin.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Glad to see most of y'all have a sense of humor. Y'all don't seem nearly as bad as everyone says y'all are - so far.

It should be a fun game to watch. I think most of the pundits have y'all winning at home - I know it's going to be very tough for my Gamecocks but Dawn should have them ready to play. I expect it to be some kind of intense - a real battle.

With regard to your "PS:" I dunno. You may be right. I may be pulling a Brian Williams here and thinking about South Connecticut instead. I just thought I remembered this girl, Chris Gedney I think her name was, trying to transfer to South Carolina to play for us down here when Pam Parsons had us highly ranked, and all the stink I remember about it and the AIAW got involved and let her go back to UConn ... or at least I thought it was UConn but you're right, it may have been South Connecticut I am thinking of. I'm trying hard to remember - I'm getting old - who did Wanda Flowers coach for, was it 'y'all or South Connecticut?

PS: I'm pretty sure I remember y'all coming down here to play us in '79, but I may be wrong. I'm pretty sure that's how the re-connection with the Gedney girl occurred because we had recruited her out of Maryland but she when to UConn ... I think. We were ranked something like #2 in the country at the time, or at least Top 10. That Gedney girl lit us up - I remember seeing her and Parsons talking on the court after the game. The reason I remember it so well is because Frank McGuire's wife was a local girl from where I grew-up and she had given us courtside tickets to that game because she was a huge women's basketball fan. So we were sitting literally right behind the bench for that game, and a few others we attended that season.

That is quite a story about Chris Gedney, the first UConn scholarship player, who ended up trying to leave the school and in a sense got her lackluster coach Wanda Flores fired when the coach kicked her off the team against AIAW rules and UConn canned Flores over the stink. Someone named HuskyNan wrote about it back in 2004 for the old Rivals BY version.

Only one thing doesn't check out, because I know that UConn's first two credited games against USCar occurred in the 2007-09, and the two games listed on the southern swing trip were a win over Duke and a loss to UNC. So did the game between UConn and USCar in mid January 1980 go unrecorded somehow? Nan says that Gedney played against South Carolina. Odd. But you say you do remember Gedney raining points on the Gamecocks.

No listing on USCar site records either, so maybe it was a scrimmage?

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Wow, you've got a great memory. I actually went to school with Gedney, I didn't know her though. (Although I tried to "know" another player on that squad, who shall remain nameless. Never quite happened.) I can't remember any SC connection though, or even any games, but it was a lot of years ago.

Reaction Score
A chimp at the Bronx Zoo also picked UConn. Considering basketball IQ, I put more stock in the chimp's choice.
I like both picks. But what was the chimp's rationale? (Nell's was she likes UCONN at home.)

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Not sure if chimps are at the same prophetic level as Paul the Octopus who made better predictions than soccer experts for the 2010 World Cup. The editor I work with uses his dogs to predict cross country championships with equal accuracy. Chimps might put too much brain work into the task and screw up.

Note though that Paul is now deceased, so picking right may not help you in the long run.

Reaction Score
That is quite a story about Chris Gedney, the first UConn scholarship player, who ended up trying to leave the school and in a sense got her lackluster coach Wanda Flores fired when the coach kicked her off the team against AIAW rules and UConn canned Flores over the stink. Someone named HuskyNan wrote about it back in 2004 for the old Rivals BY version.

Only one thing doesn't check out, because I know that UConn's first two credited games against USCar occurred in the 2007-09, and the two games listed on the southern swing trip were a win over Duke and a loss to UNC. So did the game between UConn and USCar in mid January 1980 go unrecorded somehow? Nan says that Gedney played against South Carolina. Odd. But you say you do remember Gedney raining points on the Gamecocks.

No listing on USCar site records either, so maybe it was a scrimmage?

So yeah, that was her then? I thought so.

You know, I cannot remember the month ... for some reason I was thinking it was late December of 1979 but maybe it was January of 80 if I was home at that time. That was towards the end of my commission. It could have been I guess because I do remember going to Coach McGuire's office with Barbara and there were some football recruits in there visiting, so it may have been January, I just cannot remember. The whole Gedney thing was big news, a big deal, down here though. We had already signed one of her very good friends a year or two before that but everyone wanted Gedney because she was such a natural born shooter. If the 3-ptr would have been in effect back then there is no telling how many points she could have scored in her career. And she was money from the FT line. Was it a scrimmage? I dunno - I don't think so - although I do remember there not being many people there, but there were never many people at those games back then. It wasn't like it is today. Almost no one cared about women's basketball except for us and Tennessee, Old Dominion, La Tech, Delta State, and maybe SoCal and Texas.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I like both picks. But what was the chimp's rationale? (Nell's was she likes UCONN at home.)
Hard to say. I believe that when the reporter interviewing the chimp asked, the chimp stared at her for a second and then threw poo at her. That pretty much ends most interviews.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

Because yelling our nickname is the most fun thing ever.

Besides, I sit next to Sir Big Spur's parents at WBB games.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken, that was Dawn's first year in Columbia and we finished 10-18. USC 64 UCONN 61. I've already written it on the board at work. :) Good luck and let's have a game for the aged on Monday night.
Considering the demographics of the WCBB fan base, all of the games are "games for the aged." :) Will this be a "game for the ages"? Could be, but USC needs to be ready for something they have never before experienced if that is going to happen.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Considering the demographics of the WCBB fan base, all of the games are "games for the aged." :) Will this be a "game for the ages"? Could be, but USC needs to be ready for something they have never before experienced if that is going to happen.

The difficulty with posting on a phone. It's dead at work this afternoon. :(

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
A chimp at the Bronx Zoo also picked UConn. Considering basketball IQ, I put more stock in the chimp's choice.
This prediction is especially significant.
If you suffered through the SC - Georgia game, you would have heard over and over and over and over about Bianca Cuevas' Bronx swagger. (and over and over and over)
So the Bronx Zoo Chimp is picking against a favorite daughter from his neighborhood. That tells me the chimp believes SC really has no chance. :rolleyes:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Scrooster, I'm sure you'll survive the trip to Storrs, it's a friendly place. But, I have a feeling USC will be going from 22 and 0, to 22 and Uh-oh. But y'all (did I say that right?) definitely won the rap contest with Tina's Team Song. That was a quality piece of work.

Frankly, Monday's game isn't a must win for UConn. Regarding the #1 ranking - been there, done that, many times. It's the NC we're aiming for, and after the Championship game, we'll be happy to provide a celebratory dance to Tina's tune. :)

Hope the we you are referring to are the UCONN players, not the Boneyarder's

I cant imagine these boneyarders dancing to Tina's Tune ;)

older people dancing.jpg
old-people.jpeg

Reaction Score
At this point, the weather forecast for Monday and Monday evening is dreadful.

I just hope the folks who bought tickets can get to the game without killing themselves.

Reaction Score
I hope we survive the trip to the infamous "Storrs" Connecticut.

Please take it easy on us. Y'all are so .... I dunno, scary and intimidating. Plus you've done this so many times - facing #1 at your place. Y'all being ranked #2 with something to prove and all.

We're so young and y'all, ... y'all are so educated and experienced.

We've seen all the comments under our Tina Roy video on youtube, and all the comments from y'all on the ESPN website.

We're scared. But we're trying hard to cope with the pressure and all.

BTW, it is true what they say about the refs when someone plays y'all in "Storrs?" Notre Dame, Tennessee, Kentucky, I dunno ... they all say the same thing - but they're probably lying. I mean Dee Kanter cannot be in the bucket for y'all can she?

Good luck against St Mary's of the Poor this weekend. Please don't lose another one between now and then ... please.

BTW ... Green Bay better than any other team in the SEC? Seriously? Come onnnn friends.

Seriously speaking - y'all have the greatest women's program in the history of the game. I've been following y'all since the AIAW days when we had Pam Parsons. Not to mention that my older brother is a UT grad and Pat Head Summit worshipper ... so I followed that rivalry for years.

Geno is the second best coach in women's basketball history ... behind PHS.

Should be a good one come Monday night. We expect y'all to give us your best.

We comin' dogs.

ETA: Geno is second best, "for now," until Dawn Staley establishes her superiority over Gene come Monday night.

Thank you for your very entertaining and humorous post. I sincerely hope that the swagger that goes along with it turns out to be warranted. Many of us on this Board, die-hard UConn fans, have a lot of appreciation for Dawn as well as genuine respect for what she's accomplished. Some of us, at least, would like nothing better than to have a game that keeps us on the edge of our seats, marking the onset of an intense back-and-forth rivalry that rivets fans all over the nation....'twould be great for the game, where such rivalries are sorely needed. Our biggest fear, however, well, "fear" is the wrong word, but suspicion, is that UConn breezes in this one by 20+. I, for one, hope that this suspicion is proven invalid, and that we get a real contest....we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom