Well here we are again. | The Boneyard

Well here we are again.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The regular season is over and now we're looking at the post season. Alot of questions have been answered. Z is turning into the player we expected preseason. Kia and Gabby unbelievable defenders and can slow down an offense. Lou is NPOY imo. She may not get it but she is the most complete player in WCBB. CD has been a tremendous surprise handling the team. Megan will rise to the top during the post season. Geno will stay off her case and she will be more relaxed and able to perform without the pressure of worrying about what she has to do. She will just play.

I dont see a team out there that can beat UConn. Only UConn can beat themselves however with their defense its gonna be pretty tuff.

Injuries haunt us again. Another year with a short bench, but two of the best defensive players in WCBB will carry us.

The surprise team in the NCAAs will be USF. A couple of really good shooters/scorers and some very disciplined teammates. I really like USF alot and they are UConn tested.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
USF is no surprise to me.

Like quite a few college teams, Ohio State being another, if you let them run their offense and get only reasonably contested shots, they can be a threat. That has been the case with USF for the last few seasons.

What UConn has regularly done is to smother them; prevent Laksa the ball
and make it near impossible for her to shoot uncontested. And their experienced and skillful point-guard has been sniped to the point of desperation by a combination of savvy UConn defenders.

It is this quality that will give our team a very good chance to win another Natty.
I remain hopeful but not as secure as during the Stewart and Co, years.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
USF is no surprise to me.

Like quite a few college teams, Ohio State being another, if you let them run their offense and get only reasonably contested shots, they can be a threat. That has been the case with USF for the last few seasons.

What UConn has regularly done is to smother them; prevent Laksa the ball
and make it near impossible for her to shoot uncontested. And their experienced and skillful point-guard has been sniped to the point of desperation by a combination of savvy UConn defenders.

It is this quality that will give our team a very good chance to win another Natty.
I remain hopeful but not as secure as during the Stewart and Co, years.

With Z's performance over the past month, I see a better chance of the 12th. She seems to have finally had the light bulb click on. Now if Morgan can do the same over the next month and we have no major injuries I should be able to sit back, relax, and enjoy with my Comfort and water during the games.

Reaction Score
Great points Tony and great point about USF. I hope they get a favorable draw and do some serious damage (like elite 8)...

Wasn't it just 2 years ago (2016-17) with only 2 teams from the AAC conference the selection committee decided to put UConn and USF in the Bridgeport Regional?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
With Z's performance over the past month, I see a better chance of the 12th. She seems to have finally had the light bulb click on. Now if Morgan can do the same over the next month and we have no major injuries I should be able to sit back, relax, and enjoy with my Comfort and water during the games.
I assume your Comfort is a Southern lady, born in New Orleans, where there is a party on every street and the good times never stop. BTW, she was the favorite drink of Ms Janis Joplin, too. She of the infamous 'Four gentleman and One Great, Great Broad. Big Brother and the Holding Company.' A fine choice, just a splash of water! :D Enjoy!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I assume your Comfort is a Southern lady, born in New Orleans, where there is a party on every street and the good times never stop. BTW, she was the favorite drink of Ms Janis Joplin, too. She of the infamous 'Four gentleman and One Great, Great Broad. Big Brother and the Holding Company.' A fine choice, just a splash of water! :D Enjoy!

You assume correctly, I had it for the first time while stationed at Fort Polk when I was eating fried catfish and jambalaya. Went down so smoothly haven't drank much of anything else over the past 22 years. This coming from a guy who used to drink Warsteiner beer from Germany.

Reaction Score
Nice Thread Tonyc...
I am pretty excited for the NCAA Tourney.

I believe UConn is in pretty good shape on the injury front at this point...
- Lou has shown no issues with ankle/foot since she got that new brace she wears, and she still runs the floor well, plays solid defense and will be a serious weapon in the tournament.
- Danger seems to be improving from the shin splint issue, or at least put them in the back of her mind to a place where she is able to play Danger Ball during the games with superior quickness, vision and ability to make things happen either from 3pt range or driving the lane to get her shot. She is a facilitator and there are not many PGs in the nation that will slow her down in the tournament.
- Gabby will have 10 days of rest before she plays in the first round of the NCAA tournament. We have to believe UConn has the best medical efforts on this, giving her regular treatments to get her as close to 100 percent as possible before the tournament. The first game will be against the #64 team in the tournament....so maybe Gabby only plays a little to "knock the rust off"... and to minimize any chance of further injury and save her for later rounds. Like Sweet 16 and later. And, I believe the championship means so much to Gabby that she will play through anything!
- Z is going to be a force...and a dynamic 6th Player ... No Other Team in the Tournament can bring someone of her skills and abilities off the bench... someone that can take over a game. Could she "get pushed around" by some of the bigger centers?? Maybe so,.... BUT, she has started to extend her range of successful shots...even making some from 3 lately... can the other bigs play her out there??? Sure, but it will open the lane for a much more mobile big to go around them, or for our other players to make cuts to the basket.
- Kia will continue to lock down any team's big scoring guards the way she has all year. And, she wants to leave with another National Championship, so expect her to bump up the aggressive defense and her overall play over it's already superb level.
- Megan - the light is going on. She moves well on the court, she showed some great speed and moves and she is playing aggressively on defense.

I have concerns regarding some teams with Big Bigs...yes... Baylor, MSST, TX,.. who could disrupt the UConn offense and make things tough on defense, but I have faith that Geno and his Staff know the strategies to deal with those issues and to rise above.

Really looking forward to the start of the Tournament!!!

Bama fan

Reaction Score
You assume correctly, I had it for the first time while stationed at Fort Polk when I was eating fried catfish and jambalaya. Went down so smoothly haven't drank much of anything else over the past 22 years. This coming from a guy who used to drink Warsteiner beer from Germany.
I drink very little anymore, trying to make up for many years when that was not the case. But when I drink, I like either porter or Irish whiskey. Never been to Germany or had Warsteiner beer. But I have had plenty of catfish and jambalaya! Go Huskies.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
With any luck, and the way past tournaments have unfolded, of the 3 most cited teams with big bigs, we would probably only have to face one. Unless one is in our region, then possibly two. But I also believe that not all 3 will make it to the Elite Eight or Final Four.

Reaction Score
The regular season is over and now we're looking at the post season. Alot of questions have been answered. Z is turning into the player we expected preseason. Kia and Gabby unbelievable defenders and can slow down an offense. Lou is NPOY imo. She may not get it but she is the most complete player in WCBB. CD has been a tremendous surprise handling the team. Megan will rise to the top during the post season. Geno will stay off her case and she will be more relaxed and able to perform without the pressure of worrying about what she has to do. She will just play.

I dont see a team out there that can beat UConn. Only UConn can beat themselves however with their defense its gonna be pretty tuff.

Injuries haunt us again. Another year with a short bench, but two of the best defensive players in WCBB will carry us.

The surprise team in the NCAAs will be USF. A couple of really good shooters/scorers and some very disciplined teammates. I really like USF alot and they are UConn tested.
TonyC I usually find most of your comments valuable and on target way more than not.
I have one problem with the post and that's the wishful thinking about MW. While I hope you're right, I see little evidence she will rise to the top in the post season. Best case scenario I can see for her is that one of the top six has foul or injury problems and she has to play more and makes a contribution.
I more likely hope that the light goes on I. The off season and she works her butt off to figure out what she needs to do to become close to the player many of us expected her to be.
I thought more or less the same thing about CD last year and look at where and who she is now. That doesn't mean it happens to every top recruit their sophomore year.
I think USF is a very good team but sweet sixteen or elite eight would be an accomplishment
Bronx23

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I drink very little anymore, trying to make up for many years when that was not the case. But when I drink, I like either porter or Irish whiskey. Never been to Germany or had Warsteiner beer. But I have had plenty of catfish and jambalaya! Go Huskies.

My dietician wants me to cut out alcohol, but I told her that I'll cut back on everything else, but I got to have a Comfort or two nightly. Over the past 10 weeks I've lost 25 pounds, eating the right amount of veggies, starch and meats or fish, properly proportioned, cutting out fatty foods and snacks. So I told her that since it's only one or two drinks, which some doctors recommend, it's not going to hurt my diet. She gave up, because like I told her, I cut out the sodas, candy, chips, and most deserts.

Reaction Score
Great points Tony and great point about USF. I hope they get a favorable draw and do some serious damage (like elite 8)...

If I remember correctly, USF has a history of disappointing loses to teams they should be able to beat..............let's see if that continues this year

Reaction Score
Gotta love anyone who remembers the “one great broad and...” line. I got to see Janis in Philly in 1968. Yes she had her Southern Comfort bottle on stage with her. And she was fantastic!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, USF has a history of disappointing loses to teams they should be able to beat....let's see if that continues this year
Uhh, not sure what you're remembering.

2017: #11 USF lost to #6 Missouri, 66-64.
2016: #6 USF beat #11 Colorado St, 48-45, and then lost to #3 UCLA, 72-67.
2015: #6 USF beat #11 LSU, 73-64, and then lost to #3 Louisville, 70-62.
2014: USF missed the NCAA tournament but reached the WNIT final four.
2013: #10 USF beat #7 Texas Tech, 71-70, and then lost to #2 Cal, 82-78 (OT).

The only other year that USF made the NCAA tournament was 2006, when they were a #9 seed and lost to #8 Southern Cal, 67-65.

In 2009, USF was controversially passed over for an NCAA bid but then won the WNIT championship.

If someone can point me to the history of disappointing losses to teams they should be able to beat, I'm willing to be enlightened.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Gotta love anyone who remembers the “one great broad and...” line. I got to see Janis in Philly in 1968. Yes she had her Southern Comfort bottle on stage with her. And she was fantastic!
Thanks for the kind words, and for your appreciation of a great artist. We both are showing our age. While I still can remember, it is good to share the best memories. :)

Reaction Score
Uhh, not sure what you're remembering.

2017: #11 USF lost to #6 Missouri, 66-64.
2016: #6 USF beat #11 Colorado St, 48-45, and then lost to #3 UCLA, 72-67.
2015: #6 USF beat #11 LSU, 73-64, and then lost to #3 Louisville, 70-62.
2014: USF missed the NCAA tournament but reached the WNIT final four.
2013: #10 USF beat #7 Texas Tech, 71-70, and then lost to #2 Cal, 82-78 (OT).

The only other year that USF made the NCAA tournament was 2006, when they were a #9 seed and lost to #8 Southern Cal, 67-65.

In 2009, USF was controversially passed over for an NCAA bid but then won the WNIT championship.

If someone can point me to the history of disappointing losses to teams they should be able to beat, I'm willing to be enlightened.

Those stats are pretty impressive even though they can't seem to get out of the second round, I was speaking about their regular season performance................once we get to the big tournament I only follow teams that UConn might have trouble with.................

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Yeah, where are they projected to be. I know. Too low a seed to make a reasonable guesstimate.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Those stats are pretty impressive even though they can't seem to get out of the second round, I was speaking about their regular season performance......once we get to the big tournament I only follow teams that UConn might have trouble with.......
Well, most teams over the course of an entire season drop a few games to teams they should beat. Pretty rare for every game to go chalk.

Reaction Score
Well, most teams over the course of an entire season drop a few games to teams they should beat. Pretty rare for every game to go chalk.

true but there's no excuse for losing to Wichita State

Plebe

Reaction Score
true but there's no excuse for losing to Wichita State
It's a bad loss, but it's one game.

Kinda like Duke losing to North Carolina this year.
Or Green Bay losing to Northern Kentucky.
It happens.
Let's recall that even the mighty UConn almost dropped a game to Tulane last year.

Reaction Score
It's a bad loss, but it's one game.

Kinda like Duke losing to North Carolina this year.
Or Green Bay losing to Northern Kentucky.
It happens.
Let's recall that even the mighty UConn almost dropped a game to Tulane last year.

I'm cutting them some slack with the Michigan State and Oklahoma losses but if they want to be a top 20 team they have to consistently beat the decent teams and start taking some scalps...........one and done in the NCAA's shouldn't be considered a success if they want to be taken seriously as a developing power

Plebe

Reaction Score
I'm cutting them some slack with the Michigan State and Oklahoma losses but if they want to be a top 20 team they have to consistently beat the decent teams and start taking some scalps......one and done in the NCAA's shouldn't be considered a success if they want to be taken seriously as a developing power
Well, how kind of you to cut them some slack for losing to a team that was within 7 points of UConn in the second half, or a team that comfortably beat Maryland at College Park.

I really don't understand this undercurrent of negativity toward USF on this board.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom