Welcome to UConn Azura Stevens (merged threads) | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Welcome to UConn Azura Stevens (merged threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Have to say this Azura news just made my whole offseason better. Can't wait for her to suit up.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
They're just being allowed into the program, assuming they pass the criteria needed.
Like you I love and respect the Marines who serve this country. Nevertheless, comparing them to the Navy Seals and the rigor of their training is comparing a mayonnaise sandwich to a meal at Nobu. I also am not a fan of lowering requirements just in order to admit any class of soldier. Any and all genders that pass the requirements and is admitted to one of this country's elite services has my utmost respect.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
And welcome Azura to this crazy fanbase. Of THE UConn.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
How many 3 point shots did Gabby even attempt??? Single digits, I would gather. I don't think there's an expectation of three point shots as long as she can shoot two's from the perimeter. Most of her scoring was from within a few feet of the basket, weren't they? I'm not attempting to diminish her because I thought she improved appreciably this year but long range shooting still isn't a strong point of hers.
I watched all the games and don't remember Gabby shooting any threes. She may have but I don't recall any attempts.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
At UCONN we don't rebuild we just reload.
~~~~~Breanna Stewart
The era of the thought that the big bad wolf was out of breath and couldn't blow the house down.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Too bad she has to sit out a year. If she were able to play next year I would feel better. Wasn't there something about her potentially not having to sit out because they were investigating complaints made against the coaching staff?
Very unlikely that she gets to play next year, because she transferred before the Duke investigation concluded. If that investigation determined that there was abuse at Duke she could have petitioned the NCAA ,with Duke's support, to be immediately eligible. Duke support would be an admissions of wrong doing and would open Duke up to all kinds of litigation. There were allegations of abuse (player safety) also when Sierra Calhoun left Duke.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I watched all the games and don't remember Gabby shooting any threes. She may have but I don't recall any attempts.
Gabby attempted (1) 3Pt shot as a Freshmen and (0) as a Sophomore.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Very unlikely that she gets to play next year, because she transferred before the Duke investigation concluded. If that investigation determined that there was abuse at Duke she could have petitioned the NCAA ,with Duke's support, to be immediately eligible. Duke support would be an admissions of wrong doing and would open Duke up to all kinds of litigation. There were allegations of abuse (player safety) also when Sierra Calhoun left Duke.
And I just don't see the Duke situation being resolved in such a way that it would present the NCAA with good reason to change transfer rules for any of the students - something like LaTech or Rutgers on the men's side is so publicly documented and egregious that it may cause them to act - Yori, Swoopes, JPM ... not the same level of issue.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
This is nice.

<understatement mode OFF>

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Azurá...all the way!

Get us number 12 at the NCAA

This is good, it makes my day

Not a good poet; but just had to say

UConn woot Azurá!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Azurá...all the way!

Get us number 12 at the NCAA

This is good, it makes my day

Not a good poet; but just had to say

UConn woot Azurá!
Get us 13!

Reaction Score
Amazing how a summary will make something sound so different!

"UConn coach Geno Auriemma said Saturday that he normally doesn't get involved in transfer situations, but Stevens convinced him that Storrs would be the right place for her going forward."

Yes, leave it to the AP and the NCAA!

UConn women's basketball: Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to Huskies

I'm sure Geno would want a player like Stevens--as has been said many times--Uconn WBB isn't for everyone, Geno looks for compatibility with the players, the coach, the system, team play. I'm sure Ms Stevens will learn a great deal under Shea/Marrisa/CD/Geno. Passing will be a focus these next 19 or so months. What no one spoke of and Stewie highlighted; Playing at Uconn (unlike JPM's Duke) prepares women to play at the next level also Uconn has a history of having the first draft pick--I would think these thoughts have passed through Ms Steven's brain.

Reaction Score
I'm not convinced that we won't be working on #13 when she takes the court for us.
Aren't we becoming gluttons? How many championships will it take to satisfy UConn WBB fans?? I don't know --how many are there???

Reaction Score
I would say Kiah was not your traditional back to the basket post. Had she not pulled a Kelly Faris with her offensive game we would have seen that and how awesome that would have been. It's a new day in WCBB. The old fashion 5 is going the way of the DooDoo Bird, but tall 2,3,4,5 es...bring them on. KLS is a ball handle and we are about to get a freshman whose versatility will astound the ill informed.
It is not a new thing for Bigs who can handled, pass, dribble, break a press--but old time coaches thought you had to be less than 5'10 to do those things. Kiah had the offensive skills, had them in HS Iowa. She was surrounded with fire power. I'm happy you acknowledge that Kelly Faris was scoring challenged, and a slow learner--she kept trying to drive on Digging and got stuffed each time--a fan favorite because she was loaded with guts, hard work, and effort and fundamentals from a coaching father. Is Irwin that good in ball handling--Crystal is reported to be 5 6. I hope what you say about Irwin is accurate we need some uplifting news about the new kids (but Irwin isn't big for a a guard 6/2) KLS is all you say and more. I expect with a bit more coaching she will do a lot of the offensive stuff we saw from Stewie--and she will be a bit more active around the basket defensively--IF (big IF) she recovers fully and has no further extremities issues.

I watched Xtal Dangerfield last year in the USA vs games. In some games I thought I was seeing Moriah.
If this is the one who will amaze--it won't be me, I'm a believer..

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Aren't we becoming gluttons? How many championships will it take to satisfy UConn WBB fans?? I don't know --how many are there???
The answer is sort of like 'tomorrow' which we all know never comes:
I will always be satisfied with just 'the next one' and that is the answer every day of every year, as far into the future as I can see!

Reaction Score
The answer is sort of like 'tomorrow' which we all know never comes:
I will always be satisfied with just 'the next one' and that is the answer every day of every year, as far into the future as I can see!
That I understand! I'm such a UConn WBB fan, while I enjoy NC and Conf titles, I can enjoy a season without either--actually I have.
Most of the year--I enjoy seeing the development of various players--I look forward to more play for the end of the bench--long before Walk-on's . In years past when Uconn Wbb was behind at the half---I knew Geno would pull some tricks out of his bag of trick to turn the tide--which he did often. My: How many are there?? Obviously was tongue in Cheek!! (PS--Geno's half time trick--play hard defense or he'd set up a play to take away the opponents defense of a player. Those thing alone make watching Uconn WBB super great for me--NC is the cherry on top.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I'm sure Geno would want a player like Stevens--as has been said many times--Uconn WBB isn't for everyone, Geno looks for compatibility with the players, the coach, the system, team play. I'm sure Ms Stevens will learn a great deal under Shea/Marrisa/CD/Geno. Passing will be a focus these next 19 or so months. What no one spoke of and Stewie highlighted; Playing at Uconn (unlike JPM's Duke) prepares women to play at the next level also Uconn has a history of having the first draft pick--I would think these thoughts have passed through Ms Steven's brain.

Well the 2011 Duke team that got routed in the regional final had 5 WNBA picks..... 3 who were picked in the first round..... all of whom have played multiple seasons in the WNBA.... so its not like Duke doesnt produce WNBA players. But I get your point.

Becoming gluttons ??? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Did you say becoming ???? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I hope what you say about Irwin is accurate we need some uplifting news about the new kids (but Irwin isn't big for a a guard 6/2)

Irwin's a forward. Based on highlights she seemed to handle the ball okay at times against high school competition, but I doubt she'll be doing much of that at UConn.

Reaction Score
It would be great to win every year until they let us into a power-5 conference.

T

TroyHouse66

B-Sweet
<<I watched Xtal Dangerfield last year in the USA vs games. In some games I thought I was seeing Moriah.>>
[Shussssh... Geno was planning on making two sets of uniform #4, running the opposition(s) ragged at full speed, & then switching the two at 1/4 time.]

<<Aren't we becoming gluttons? How many championships will it take to satisfy UConn....?>>
Thanks, Sweet...
Just had a mental picture of an older Geno... hanging out at the Final Four for years into the future... with a tattered old score-sheet...
saying...
"Please, Sir... May I have another?"

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
Welcome to Uconn Azura!
Wow, this is huge. When it rains it pours.
Those who predicted Uconn's decline due to its entry into the AAC should take note. It's not happening. Azura is a tremendous talent who I always considered very special. I also love her bubbly and charming personality. She's a real game-changer for the program with Olympic-caliber talent. She will graduate in the same class as Lou and Napheesa. Now there is a new "Big 3" for you.
May you realize your dreams while at Uconn.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69