Welcome to the future of NIL | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Welcome to the future of NIL

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Boosters giving all 85 players the same $70,000 vehicle is new. The more this stuff spins out of control the harder it will crash.
They didn’t give them $70,000 vehicles they provided them leased vehicles for their time at the school. If we’re gonna have this conversation let’s at least get the facts right.

Reaction Score
I just find it ironic how NIL was created to allow players to make money of THEIR OWN NAME, IMAGE, AND LIKENESS.... now they've socialized it by giving everyone the same benefits under the name of the University. I believe that the universities have wayyyyyy too much leeway when it comes to how they spend their NIL budget, they should be spending the money on facilities, team travel & food, and the best coaches/doctors/trainers money can buy.

This has nothing to do with "do the athletes deserve this," because I absolutely think they do, and I love the benefits they are getting.
But I don't think the universities should be allowed to do it.

Let's just stop acting like the universities are doing this for the players. They are not. The overwhelming majority are doing it to stay competitive with the strong programs that can recruit players who are NIL worthy on their own (Cooper Flagg).

Universities don't have an "NIL budget." The money comes from boosters privately. NIL isn't some line item in the budget at all.

Reaction Score
They didn’t give them $70,000 vehicles they provided them leased vehicles for their time at the school. If we’re gonna have this conversation let’s at least get the facts right.
What I said is accurate (I'm giving a ballpark on the actual sticker price plus out the door cost on those vehicles.) If you want to have a conversation don't tell me I got the facts wrong.

Reaction Score
Youth sports are already semi professionalized. If a kid is showing talent and interest in this day in age they are entering into regional divisions that have parents traveling state lines hours each way.

Plenty of kids without talent doing this too. If the parents are willing to shell out the cash

There are AAU basketball teams with kids paying 2k+ to travel and I can't imagine these kids even playing varsity in a public school.

Reaction Score
Universities don't have an "NIL budget." The money comes from boosters privately.
Maybe I’m mistaken, but I thought boosters provide the university money, but not the players?

And I thought players could benefit from NIL, but not boosters? Isn’t this why Hurley has been adamant that we will do NIL the right way?

This turdstorm of what’s allowed or not is so hard to figure out. Thank god the NCAA is the overseeing body…./s

Reaction Score
Maybe I’m mistaken, but I thought boosters provide the university money, but not the players?

And I thought players could benefit from NIL, but not boosters? Isn’t this why Hurley has been adamant that we will do NIL the right way?

This turdstorm of what’s allowed or not is so hard to figure out. Thank god the NCAA is the overseeing body…./s

Players are the only ones who get NIL $. The money does not come from the university. The university can help connect players with business owners or NIL collectives, but exactly 0$ for NIL comes from anywhere in the university budget. 0$. None. Nada. Zilch. No one gives money to the university for NIL, nor does the money allocated to players get distributed by the university.

There are NIL "collectives" where groups of private citizens pool their money together--like with the D'Amelio collective. There are also private business who will create separate deals with players, such as Clingan's leased car.

Technically, Hurley doesn't really get a say in whether we do NIL "the right way," but I think we can all reasonably understand that the head coach and athletic director are working with donors to create the right deals for players under the table.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

The facts of this specific instance don't really matter. I'm all for the athletes making money, but it's going to come crashing down at some point.

I mean, take this situation at surface value, it's pretty absurd, no?

Reaction Score
Players are the only ones who get NIL $. The money does not come from the university. The university can help connect players with business owners or NIL collectives, but exactly 0$ for NIL comes from anywhere in the university budget. 0$. None. Nada. Zilch. No one gives money to the university for NIL, nor does the money allocated to players get distributed by the university.
Do we believe this is really true? At all schools?

On paper and for the NCAA's benefit, it's true for everyone. But I'm pretty skeptical. Was the prior gray money not coming from the school at all also? It's assumed that money all got routed to "NIL" now right?

Reaction Score
Do we believe this is really true? At all schools?

On paper and for the NCAA's benefit, it's true for everyone. But I'm pretty skeptical. Was the prior gray money not coming from the school at all also? It's assumed that money all got routed to "NIL" now right?

What I'm curious about is if they'll count NIL towards any of the donation perks. If I give 100k towards NIL instead of to the AD... am I still going to get the same treatment?

I'm sure there are people who know, but I think giving money to athletics is stupid, plus I'm poor.

Reaction Score
So if all the players have the same truck, when they all drive somewhere together how do they tell whose truck is whose?

Reaction Score
It's amazing many people didn't see what was coming with this NIL nonsense.

The question is how do they create a system where the athletes get paid, it makes sense, and it doesn't destroy college sports? What we have now certainly isn't sustainable.
Not sure but at least they're trying to work on it and not just looking the other way.

In a step toward putting rules in place to regulate the way college athletes can be compensated for their fame, the NCAA Division I Council introduced on Tuesday several proposals to bring transparency to the transactions and oversight of those who want to work with students.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
What I said is accurate (I'm giving a ballpark on the actual sticker price plus out the door cost on those vehicles.) If you want to have a conversation don't tell me I got the facts wrong.
Lol ok pal. Not arguing the price. Just saying the kids don’t own the trucks.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
The facts of this specific instance don't really matter. I'm all for the athletes making money, but it's going to come crashing down at some point.

I mean, take this situation at surface value, it's pretty absurd, no?
I do not think it is absurd. I get the argument against it. I think it’s awesome.

Reaction Score
Lol ok pal. Not arguing the price. Just saying the kids don’t own the trucks.
You are right. Not sure why he's fighting you about it.

Funded by collective donations, the trucks will be leased to each player as part of individual six-month contracts that are expected to roll over contingent on a player’s eligibility and enrollment at the university. Leases end when a player’s eligibility expires or they choose to transfer. The collective will also cover the insurance for each truck.

Reaction Score
So if all the players have the same truck, when they all drive somewhere together how do they tell whose truck is whose?

That’s a feature, not a bug. If 5 identical trucks are spotted outside a strip joint at 2:30 AM before a game, who’s to say who was in the club. :D:D:D

Reaction Score
You are right. Not sure why he's fighting you about it.

Funded by collective donations, the trucks will be leased to each player as part of individual six-month contracts that are expected to roll over contingent on a player’s eligibility and enrollment at the university. Leases end when a player’s eligibility expires or they choose to transfer. The collective will also cover the insurance for each truck.

This place is impossible. Read my post and read his reply to my post. He/she is not right.

Reaction Score
As long as you don’t care that UConn football (and many others) will have no hope of competing in an escalating arms race with no rules. Will be “interesting” to see what college sports looks like after 5-10 years of this.
Ha, you thought before this UConn football had a shot at competing for anything beyond the Birmingham Bowl?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I do not think it is absurd. I get the argument against it. I think it’s awesome.

You don't think it's absurd that on a college campus 85 football players are all driving the same pick up truck? Separate that from the notion that athletes should be paid (we both agree they should) and it's patently ridiculous.

Reaction Score
You don't think it's absurd that on a college campus 85 football players are all driving the same pick up truck? Separate that from the notion that athletes should be paid (we both agree they should) and it's patently ridiculous.
Now we'll get boosters (NIL collectives)/programs looking to outdo them and giving all 85 players Trackhawks and Hellcats. Just wait until we have a couple players or bystanders killed when the players are racing each other all over or driving around drunk in these vehicles.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom