Welcome to the future of NIL | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Welcome to the future of NIL

Reaction Score
This’ll be fun when they all realize this is a taxable benefit and they owe a few grand unexpectedly at tax return time

Reaction Score
This’ll be fun when they all realize this is a taxable benefit and they owe a few grand unexpectedly at tax return time

Don't worry, they'll have another NIL deal used to cover tax liabilities.

MJ1

Reaction Score
Ridiculous - players now rule the roost.
I dislike pro sports because they ruined it with ridiculous salary standards and now college sports has turned that corner
What's next - high school and youth sports?
Yes

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
It wasn't an automobile. I mean. It was a fully loaded Lexus!

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
You don't think it's absurd that on a college campus 85 football players are all driving the same pick up truck? Separate that from the notion that athletes should be paid (we both agree they should) and it's patently ridiculous.
Nope. Sure don’t. If it makes them happy and it makes their lives better what do I care? They more than deserve it.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Now we'll get boosters (NIL collectives)/programs looking to outdo them and giving all 85 players Trackhawks and Hellcats. Just wait until we have a couple players or bystanders killed when the players are racing each other all over or driving around drunk in these vehicles.
Be careful on that slippery slope, john

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
I never said they owned the trucks, pal.

You stepped in a pile.
Maybes it’s just semantics or laziness idk but saying they were “given $70,000 trucks” is read pretty plainly as they own the trucks

Reaction Score
Y’all only hate NIL when it benefits other schools.

Such hypocrites…
I don’t think it’s about hating the NIL. I want players making millions if they deserve it.

I think it’s about should the players get NIL because of their individual skills, or the program they choose?

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Man y’all are such joyless husks. Life is short. These kids are clearly very happy about this. Whether or not you think it’s

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
I don’t think it’s about hating the NIL. I want players making millions if they deserve it.

I think it’s about should the players get NIL because of their individual skills, or the program they choose?
What do you think got them to the program???????

Reaction Score

I think you're not really understanding supply and demand here.

It's not like any random 180lb shmuck is getting a scholly to play d-line. They're being recruited because they have the individual skills to earn NIL $.

Reaction Score
Maybes it’s just semantics or laziness idk but saying they were “given $70,000 trucks” is read pretty plainly as they own the trucks
Come on, that's on you. Coaches/schools give out scholarships all the time too. You have the scholarship for a year and hopefully you have it as long as you want to play at your school, it can also be taken away from you at any time. Kind of like the trucks the boosters (NIL collective) gave them.

If I thought they owned the trucks I would've said they owned the trucks. I mentioned 70K to show these aren't beaters, they're expensive new vehicles. All 85 players were given expensive brand new pickup trucks.

Reaction Score
Man y’all are such joyless husks. Life is short. These kids are clearly very happy about this. Whether or not you think it’s
Yep, that's it! We should give kids what makes them happy, they tend to have wonderful impulse control and make the correct decisions when given everything they want.

Kids, adults, everyone likes free stuff. It doesn't mean it's right or a good thing.

Reaction Score
I think you're not really understanding supply and demand here.

It's not like any random 180lb shmuck is getting a scholly to play d-line. They're being recruited because they have the individual skills to earn NIL $.
What do you think got them to the program???????
i get the S&D aspect, I just question the slippery slope of the supply.

professional sports have a salary cap. Nothing at the moment exists in college athletics. I’d like a solution to that problem looked into is all.

Reaction Score
Man y’all are such joyless husks
Truly so incredibly on brand to read through a boneyard thread about NIL and see the old man yells at clouds takes just plopped all over the place.

"I'm all for players getting paid but NIL ain't it."

Stop it. You're telling on yourself.

NIL is the perfect system for an amateur athlete to capitalize on their brand value. Who is anyone to tell a college athlete they can't earn money that the market is telling them they're worth, whatever that may be. If someone wants to give an entire football team a fleet of pick up trucks who are they hurting? If a gas stations name sounds like a players name and they wanna pay him some money to make some fun jerseys whose to say no to that?

Also has anyone noticed the parity in college sports... Everyone thought the rich would get richer in college football and it's the most wide open college football has been in years.

It's also nice to see more players staying in school who are fringe pros. Anyone arguing that the product hasn't gotten better is blind.

Reaction Score
Why? These are kids who quite literally destroying their bodies for our entertainment, and provide the labor that gets a lot of people a paycheck. Most of them won’t see a dime from professional football.
How about taking advantage of that free education they are getting?

Reaction Score
i get the S&D aspect, I just question the slippery slope of the supply.

professional sports have a salary cap. Nothing at the moment exists in college athletics. I’d like a solution to that problem looked into is all.

That's not what you said at all. You said kids aren't earning it with individual skills. Get a grip.

Reaction Score
As long as you don’t care that UConn football (and many others) will have no hope of competing in an escalating arms race with no rules. Will be “interesting” to see what college sports looks like after 5-10 years of this.
It won't be "college" sports.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Nope. Sure don’t. If it makes them happy and it makes their lives better what do I care? They more than deserve it.

My point is that, sure it's great, everyone's happy but I think it's going to be the wild wild West in short order (if it's not already there with the truck example) that is going to invite legislation that ultimately hurts the future athletes.

I don't really care one way or another, I'll root for the UConn laundry whether it's pre-NIL, NIL, or whatever the future holds.

Reaction Score
Ok gramps let’s get you back to the home
I am talking about the players that “won’t see a dime from professional football”. You sure are riding high on that horse of yours, youngster.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom