Welcome to Philly | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Welcome to Philly

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Animated GIF
I told some Nova fans they’ll need to move this game to the Finn in the future if they want to try and keep us out.

caw

Reaction Score
Well that sucked.

Still think Nova can make a run in the BET. I think the bottom half against Creighton and X is actually good for you guys. UConn is a bad matchup for Nova and Marquette also matches up pretty well with Nova.

Since you are a fan of Nova, how do you feel about your squad next year. Seems you all are a bit of a mess. Whitmore is gone. Does your fanbase think Moore will be back? What is the deal with Slater and Daniels (do they have COVID years, or is that this year?) Is Neptune going to try and use the portal?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Still think Nova can make a run in the BET. I think the bottom half against Creighton and X is actually good for you guys. UConn is a bad matchup for Nova and Marquette also matches up pretty well with Nova.

Since you are a fan of Nova, how do you feel about your squad next year. Seems you all are a bit of a mess. Whitmore is gone. Does your fanbase think Moore will be back? What is the deal with Slater and Daniels (do they have COVID years, or is that this year?) Is Neptune going to try and use the portal?
Jay Wright was one of the best ever, but his recruiting the last couple years of his tenure was not good at all for whatever reason. The cupboards are pretty bare there on that front. It’s a proud program, with good reason , the could bounce back quickly, but Neptune has quite a task in front of him to restock that empty cupboard. That takes time, as we know.

Reaction Score
It’s crazy how good Hurley can recruit…when we really want a player.. we usually get him…the big east helps because its a power conference… but Hurley usually out recruits the teams in the big east too..thats why Syracuse fans hate Hurley

Reaction Score
It’s crazy how good Hurley can recruit…when we really want a player.. we usually get him…the big east helps because its a power conference… but Hurley usually out recruits the teams in the big east too..thats why Syracuse fans hate Hurley
I think it's less "if he wants a player he gets him" and more he figures out fits and interest and targets players he knows are gettable. He's also absolutely exceptional at spotting talent—he doesn't just look at rankings.

Like, we wanted Fillipowski. He gaged that it wasn't likely going to happen, so he shifted very early to Karaban, a similar fit in some ways and also an excellent player, though a step down. Other coaches, including our prior, don't make that hard assessment, and stuck on kids we were obviously not getting far too long, and in doing so cost ourselves exceptional local talent we absolutely should have gotten.

Reaction Score
Jay Wright was one of the best ever, but his recruiting the last couple years of his tenure was not good at all for whatever reason. The cupboards are pretty bare there on that front. It’s a proud program, with good reason , the could bounce back quickly, but Neptune has quite a task in front of him to restock that empty cupboard. That takes time, as we know.
They're pretty loaded- Moore, Dixon, Whitmore, Slater, Daniels (Wright transfer) Armstrong...

Some players didn't pan out- Bryan Antoine, Trey Patterson, Jordan Longino (remains to be seen) but they were all big time recruits.

I would be worried about recruiting with Neptune, they aren't bringing in anyone for next year as of now and they don't seem to be involved with anyone for '24.

Reaction Score
A good Villanova team is important for our tv deal… we could swap providence for a Atlantic 10 team..and it wouldn’t matter

The only reason the Big East was created to protect Providence basketball. It still remains a core value.

Reaction Score
Jealousy is a disease

Reaction Score
Well that sucked.
@Zissou, can you tell us what this is about? Someone pointed this out in the highlight video thread (which I'm sure you're not going to look at). In this highlight video each time UConn scores in the first half you can see a Villanova player on the bench with a white towel over his shoulder who claps for every UConn basket. Do you guys have a traitor on your team? :)

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
They're pretty loaded- Moore, Dixon, Whitmore, Slater, Daniels (Wright transfer) Armstrong...

Some players didn't pan out- Bryan Antoine, Trey Patterson, Jordan Longino (remains to be seen) but they were all big time recruits.

I would be worried about recruiting with Neptune, they aren't bringing in anyone for next year as of now and they don't seem to be involved with anyone for '24.
Slater, Daniel’s and Whitmore are all gone . Their class next year is ranked 138th

Reaction Score

@ caw and Zizzou - Exactly. Nova being on the bottom half of the bracket is better for them. Marquette has really had Nova's number this year and last year, and UConn, too, in the sense that they locked down Nova's offense with great defense which is difficult because very few teams play offense like Nova. Also, Providence swept Nova twice as well. It doesn't mean Nova can't beat Marquette, UConn, or Providence but the bottom half of the bracket is better for Nova.

I think a tune up game, or "get right game" with GTown will be good for them, but they have to make sure they win that handily and not go down to the wire so they are not worn down for their game against Creighton. GTown gave Nova all they could handle in the game at Nova. Nova's offense matches up with Creighton's D very well as they can draw Kalkbrenner out of the paint with Dixon's 3 pt shooting which McDermott hates as he always wants Kalk in drop coverage on pick and rolls and being the gatekeeper in the middle of the paint at all times. Ryan Nembhard can be exploited on post ups with Justin Moore and Caleb Daniels as well as Shareef Mitchell.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Slater, Daniel’s and Whitmore are all gone . Their class next year is ranked 138th
I know but those are all Jay Wright recruits along with Whitmore, Armstrong, Longino, Patterson...

He didn't leave the cupboard bare, he left it with a bunch of good players. Neptune has been there almost a full year and they don't really seem to be involved with any good recruits, that's on Neptune.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
@Zissou, can you tell us what this is about? Someone pointed this out in the highlight video thread (which I'm sure you're not going to look at). In this highlight video each time UConn scores in the first half you can see a Villanova player on the bench with a white towel over his shoulder who claps for every UConn basket. Do you guys have a traitor on your team? :)

Just good sports

Reaction Score
@ caw and Zizzou - Exactly. Nova being on the bottom half of the bracket is better for them. Marquette has really had Nova's number this year and last year, and UConn, too, in the sense that they locked down Nova's offense with great defense which is difficult because very few teams play offense like Nova. Also, Providence swept Nova twice as well. It doesn't mean Nova can't beat Marquette, UConn, or Providence but the bottom half of the bracket is better for Nova.

I think a tune up game, or "get right game" with GTown will be good for them, but they have to make sure they win that handily and not go down to the wire so they are not worn down for their game against Creighton. GTown gave Nova all they could handle in the game at Nova. Nova's offense matches up with Creighton's D very well as they can draw Kalkbrenner out of the paint with Dixon's 3 pt shooting which McDermott hates as he always wants Kalk in drop coverage on pick and rolls and being the gatekeeper in the middle of the paint at all times. Ryan Nembhard can be exploited on post ups with Justin Moore and Caleb Daniels as well as Shareef Mitchell.
Nova isn’t playing the O as in recent years. Too much iso / backdown, not enough passing, not enough drives and kick out or score or go to the line. I could go on and on our gaps but I won’t here.

We have the talent. We have not gelled that into a team and it’s likely too late. We could beat anyone, but it looks like stretch to think we can execute effectively for 4 games straight.

Reaction Score

The portal isn’t consistent with our past (some exceptions) but it has to be part of our future

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom