Welcome to Philly | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Welcome to Philly

Reaction Score
85 really was the biggest upset of all time. It was just so improbable. Incredible even as I watched it happen.

The rest are pretty ordinary, and a lot of teams, including UConn 99 and 04 would have taken the 2018 team out like smelly old trash. Indeed, the 85 Georgetown team would have destroyed them barring another miracle.
I don't know about that. The Nova team in 2018 was legitimately nasty and ran roughshod over everyone in the tournament. They didn't play anyone nearly as good as UConn did with Duke in '99 and "04 but that team was stacked. Brunson, DiVincenzo, Bridges, Spellman, Paschall, Booth, Gillespie.

Teams like the Walton and Jabbar UCLA teams and Jordan at UNC are a different level than the UConn and Nova teams.

Reaction Score
3 of 3 are all timers.
‘85 perfect game from the ultimate underdog, biggest upset all time
‘16 Jenkins, biggest shot of all time.
‘18 Best team of all time.
2018 Villanova isn’t even close to being the best team of all time. Hell they aren’t even in the top 5.

In no particular order… teams better than 18 Villanova

1999 UConn
2015 UK
1990 UNLV
2009 UNC
2008 Kansas

caw

Reaction Score
2018 Villanova isn’t even close to being the best team of all time. Hell they aren’t even in the top 5.

In no particular order… teams better than 18 Villanova

1999 UConn
2015 UK
1990 UNLV
2009 UNC
2008 Kansas
I’d throw the UF team out there also. Back to back and some real NBA talent.

Reaction Score
I’d throw the UF team out there also. Back to back and some real NBA talent.
That was a very good team. Nova was a legit 3peat threat with 2017. The NCAA made Spellman ineligible that year because of Nova self reporting his 8th grade transfer anomaly. Absolutely crazy ruling against the kid.

Reaction Score
My beer destinations when I’m in Philly:

For more traditional styles, I suggest Human Robot, just northeast of Center City. Some of the best lagers on the east coast.

If you have the time and are willing to head to the near north suburbs, hit Forest & Main in Ambler.

Unlikely that you’ll find a porter on the tap list at the Philly location of Brooklyn’s Other Half, but you’ll drink some spectacular hazies, heavily adjuncted pastry stouts and maybe a lager or two. On Canal Street.
Tired Hands in Ardmore

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Philly is a great place to go for a weekend. Not that bad of a drive.
Make sure your EZ-Pass is loaded up. I drove down for the game last year and couldn't figure out why my phone kept pinging. Turns out it was my account reloading. Over $80 in tolls round trip from Norwalk. Hadn't made that trip in 5-7 years, kind of shocked. For reference I round tripped to Buffalo over the summer (almost 3x the miles), tolls were less than $40.

Reaction Score
Monks for Belgians if you're in the city. They have a bunch of Hill Farmstead and Russian River on tap at all times for IPA's. You can then just jump on SEPTA straight to Wells Fargo.

I haven't been yet but I've heard good things about Brewery ARS if you're looking for something closer.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
2018 Nova is definitely up there, but this reminds me of the blue blood conversation, where everyone has their arbitrary standards for the label.

Side note, Bridges and Brunson are tearing it up this season, both look like they’ll be multi time all stars for the New York teams, fun stuff.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't know about that. The Nova team in 2018 was legitimately nasty and ran roughshod over everyone in the tournament. They didn't play anyone nearly as good as UConn did with Duke in '99 and "04 but that team was stacked. Brunson, DiVincenzo, Bridges, Spellman, Paschall, Booth, Gillespie.

Teams like the Walton and Jabbar UCLA teams and Jordan at UNC are a different level than the UConn and Nova teams.
No recent team can compare to the teams that played in the era when stars stayed in school. 2018 was a great team for this era.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
And St Joes
2 from the Big 5
2 from the SEC
And 1 each from Big Ten & Big 12, both of which can't count.
Name a bigger shot than Jenkins
Keith Smart gives a wave, secure enough to leave it there.

However, because '85 Nova over Georgetown already legitimizes a pre-shotclock era, and because the Jenkins shot already negates, "But it was a tie game and would have gone to overtime," I'll go with this Lorenzo Charles saying, "Hello."

PS - NC State was a 6-seed against overall #1 Houston, and an 8-point underdog (same as '85 Nova against Georgetown), noting, fwiw, that UConn was a 9.5-underdog against Duke in' '99.

And no, "Dereck Wittenberg' s assist is the greatest in NCAA Championship history" won't cut it.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
‘16 Jenkins, biggest shot of all time.
I'd go with worst defense of a full court inbound play of all time. I think Roy Williams mind was already on the golf course. It was a well designed play that was poorly defended. UConn forgot to cover the inbounder bitd too. I can't type about it anymore because it still brings tears to my eyes. Some folks at NC St., Carolina, Indiana might argue on the biggest shot of all time. Just so you know I'm not trashing Nova I agree with you that the'85 championship game is the most amazing upset in NCAA championship history. Two Connecticut kids led the way.

Reaction Score

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score

They weren't going to foul Jenkins because no one got within 15 feet of him the entire play. You guys won and deserved to win. Honestly, just some horrible defense.

Reaction Score

They weren't going to foul Jenkins because no one got within 15 feet of him the entire play. You guys won and deserved to win. Honestly, just some horrible defense.

Jay used to practice that play at the end of practices because everyone would be tired so it simulated game conditions. He would also have the bench players foul the heck out of them.

In a post game interview one of the players (forget who) was laughing about how the play never worked in practices. Also seem to recall that as designed the pass back to Brunson was like the third option.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Wow that was brutal defense you’re so right. Let’s be honest Roy’s teams were always better on the other end, but no matter end of the game like that never finding their best shooter? Lol dreadful coaching.

Reaction Score
noice shoot around in camden love it

8C7A9E15-6FEE-4788-A4D6-1CD71573BF53.jpeg

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Ok, Mr. Style Points. If that’s how we’re doing it.

1999 was also an all-timer
2011 was the greatest 11-game run in the history of the sport
2014, UConn literally knocked out Nova on the way to the title
Oh, and in 2004, we had Emeka Okafor and Ben Gordon. They weren’t bad.

Advantage: UConn.

Don't think too hard, more is always better

Reaction Score
Like smelly old trash? Come on now, the 18 Nova squad vs. either of those UConn teams would be fantastic games.
I don’t see them beating 08-09, although it would probably be a good game. Thabeet/Adrien in the front court, Sticks on the wing, AJ and Dyson in the back court. With Kemba coming off the bench, Austrie in for energy minutes and to apply a press. Man that team could run. Good matchups 1-4 and no answer for Thabeet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom