Welcome Aboard Saylor | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Welcome Aboard Saylor

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Milford, you do know that I was kidding right? I was stationed at Cameron Station from 79 to 83.

Geez, I was living in the DC area for probably ten years before I realized the DMV didn't mean Delaware/Maryland/Virginia. :(

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Geez, I was living in the DC area for probably ten years before I realized the DMV didn't mean Delaware/Maryland/Virginia. :(
No that's DMVD not DMV. ;)

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I've seen Saylor in person 3 times. Her game is very versatile, as she plays all 5 positions. She's athletic, smart, tough, and skilled. To me, she is very equivalent to Caroline. My assessment is that HG's new ranking of #30 may reflect her sitting out due to her hip surgery. I think she should be somewhere in the 8-15 range.

In addition to her basketball skills, Saylor is a very nice person.
@MilfordHusky How does she (and CD) compare to Anne Strother?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
@MilfordHusky How does she (and CD) compare to Anne Strother?
I'd say stronger and more versatile. Say was even thinner than Ann about 3 years ago. She has filled out and added some muscle since then. Saylor does everything for Middletown (often against low-level competition). You name it, she does it: Jumps center, plays in the paint on defense, blocks shots, grabs rebounds, brings the ball up the floor, throws 50' passes on the money, hits from 28', takes the ball to the hoop, posts up, cheers for her team. Saylor and Caroline are extraordinarily versatile.

Reaction Score
Saylor can play all 5 positions in high school. She is technically a guard, so SG would fit. I think she will also play Wing in college. In a pinch, she can also play PF. I expect she will play mostly Wing, though Geno could play a 4-"guard" lineup with Paige, Azzi, Saylor, Caroline, and Amari. The heights would be about 5'10", 5'11", 6'2", 6'2", and 6'4". That's a pretty big lineup. Paige, Azzi, and Amari could be even a little taller than the heights I've listed.
Golden State Warriors
Wonder if Geno even uses 1-5 terminology anymore.

Reaction Score
Golden State Warriors
Wonder if Geno even uses 1-5 terminology anymore.

He might if he were on a chatboard discussing positions and players. Ummm I highly doubt that he wants to do that however.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Check out the spin move around 20+ seconds in.

I've seen all of that in Saylor's repertoire in person. The one "negative" in her game is that she shoots right handed even when going left. I'd like to see her shoot layups with her left hand more often. She does use the left for dribbling. I think she'll be a solid model of versatility at UConn.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I've seen all of that in Saylor's repertoire in person. The one "negative" in her game is that she shoots right handed even when going left. I'd like to see her shoot layups with her left hand more often. She does use the left for dribbling. I think she'll be a solid model of versatility at UConn.

I guess, unlike Azzi, she didn't get the Saran Wrap treatment of her right arm when she was 2! It's not too late.

Reaction Score
MilfordHusky, if you hadn't spent all of your time working with Azzi and devoted a little energy towards Saylor then this issue would have been corrected. You still have time to lend a hand before she arrives on campus.

On a serious note, I think that people will be surprised at how fast Saylor is and how fast she plays. Seeing her in person is quite different than watching her on film.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
MilfordHusky, if you hadn't spent all of your time working with Azzi and devoted a little energy towards Saylor then this issue would have been corrected. You still have time to lend a hand before she arrives on campus.

On a serious note, I think that people will be surprised at how fast Saylor is and how fast she plays. Seeing her in person is quite different than watching her on film.
Yeah, Saylor has a very long stride and can cover lots of the floor. She also has very quick reflexes that show up in the passing game and elsewhere. Say plays with emotion. I think UConn fans will love her.

MdStang

Greetings From Geezerville
Reaction Score
Yeah, Saylor has a very long stride and can cover lots of the floor. She also has very quick reflexes that show up in the passing game and elsewhere. Say plays with emotion. I think UConn fans will love her.
Check out the 1st quarter of this game - Middletown vs. Frederick in the 2019 CMC league championship. You'll see Saylor's versatility against a quality opponent (2 D1 players). She blocks shots, rebounds, leads the break and hits a deep 3.

Reaction Score
Saylor can play all 5 positions in high school. She is technically a guard, so SG would fit. I think she will also play Wing in college. In a pinch, she can also play PF. I expect she will play mostly Wing, though Geno could play a 4-"guard" lineup with Paige, Azzi, Saylor, Caroline, and Amari. The heights would be about 5'10", 5'11", 6'2", 6'2", and 6'4". That's a pretty big lineup. Paige, Azzi, and Amari could be even a little taller than the heights I've listed.

Wow!! Played all 5 spots!? Man with that type of versatility, her bball IQ has to be off the charts! I will have to scan Youtube for some game footage. But sounds like this young lady is going to be another nice addition to the squad!!

Reaction Score
Check out the 1st quarter of this game - Middletown vs. Frederick in the 2019 CMC league championship. You'll see Saylor's versatility against a quality opponent (2 D1 players). She blocks shots, rebounds, leads the break and hits a deep 3.

Oh thank you. I was just gonna look for a few games of this young lady. Thanks for sharing.

Reaction Score
Check out the spin move around 20+ seconds in.

I could see her being turned into a stretch 4, I know she’s listed as a guard but she seems to like to brawl close to the basket and to have pretty impressive jumping ability at 6’2”. I could imagine her being a pretty tough matchup if she hits the gym hard for a couple years and works on some midrange finishing moves. Seems like there’s many directions she and the coaching staff could go with her development.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
UConn Nation welcomes you Saylor!! Azzi, Mir and Saylor all hometown girls who will be playing for my favorite team and Coach. Mir this year, and Azzi and Saylor will join her next year.

Reaction Score

I grew up in suburban Maryland, and even decades ago, St John's was a national basketball powerhouse. I recall the days of Morgan Wootten, the legendary coach of DeMatha High School in Maryland. DeMatha was one of the nation's greatest, and St John's was there competing hard against them in the same Catholic school league. Of course, at the time, there were no girls teams. But clearly, the institution has kept up the reputation for greatness for both genders.

I didn't realize that Morgan Wootten (career record of 1274 wins and 192 losses) only passed away this year.

Reaction Score
UConn Nation welcomes you Saylor!! Azzi, Mir and Saylor all hometown girls who will be playing for my favorite team and Coach. Mir this year, and Azzi and Saylor will join her next year.
While there is plenty of D1 talent in the DMV, Brenda Frese (UMD) and @TerpWomenFan cannot be happy with UCONN raiding the area for Mir, Azzi and Saylor. Not to mention Kara Lawson Duke reaching back into her home area to restock Duke. Perhaps UCONN will open up a Washington, DC campus as so many other national universities (e.g., Stanford, Texas, Brown...) have.

Reaction Score
While there is plenty of D1 talent in the DMV, Brenda Frese (UMD) and @TerpWomenFan cannot be happy with UCONN raiding the area for Mir, Azzi and Saylor. Not to mention Kara Lawson Duke reaching back into her home area to restock Duke. Perhaps UCONN will open up a Washington, DC campus as so many other national universities (e.g., Stanford, Texas, Brown...) have.

They would have transferred from Maryland anyway!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Either Saylor or Mir didn’t seriously consider Maryland.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom