Weight room | The Boneyard

Weight room

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Outside of Rodney, we just look a lot smaller compared to a team like Kansas. Enoch is a big dude and I think Diarra looks like he's not a total stringbean. We always play with toughness but it would be nice having more guys who look like they can bench more than their body weight.

C

Chief00

I know many here like having a gymnastics strength coach working on flexibility and conditioning. That's fine but we need more focus on power strength. We got killed on the boards and neither Brimah or Facey can hold position even when they try to. Miller was a non factor today.

Reaction Score
I know many here like having a gymnastics strength coach working on flexibility and conditioning. That's fine but we need more focus on power strength. We got killed on the boards and neither Brimah or Facey can hold position even when they try to. Miller was a non factor today.
The problem is when you bring in stringbeans it's pretty hard for them to put on serious weight and muscle that lasts all season. With a pretty serious off season weight program you can put on weight and muscle but once the season starts you are going to lose some of those gains with all the constant running and traveling. Just maybe focus on bringing in a couple bruisers sometimes. Enoch and Diarra should be a start.

Reaction Score
Outside of Rodney, we just look a lot smaller compared to a team like Kansas. Enoch is a big dude and I think Diarra looks like he's not a total stringbean. We always play with toughness but it would be nice having more guys who look like they can bench more than their body weight.

It was my biggest take away tonight. It's been that way for a couple years quite frankly and when we run into match ups that can expose it like tonight or the Louisville/SMU beat downs it's really illuminates what we are missing. Rebound were what 16-5 at one point in the first half?

I like next years roster a lot. But the front court still sticks out as a big potential weakness with it's lack of strength/skill. Let's see what Brimah/Facey/Enoch look like next year physically. They should be locked in the weight room this summer.

Reaction Score
If Adams wants to be a more effective finisher at the rim He needs to bulk up to Frank Mason size.. Does Hamilton still only do pushups as far as weight training? Time to change that.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
It would be nice if Kentan could, I don't know, improve his game just a tick for next year? Whether that's in the weight room, jump shot, rebounding, defense or all of the above. It's like he plateaued at the age of 17.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Having strength is great. But even if Amida gains 30 pounds of muscle this summer, he's still going to lack some of the basic basketball instincts that at times render him ineffective. The same can be said about Facey, too.

That's because Brimah (and Facey) are not "big men". They are shot blockers that are not strong in the post on either side of the ball. Those guys can be effective, but they need a real active SF around.

Diarra and Enoch will need to bring a "presence", which Uconn is missing.

Reaction Score
Our strength training program is terrible. It's not hard to put on weight if you put in time. Either the program we have in place is bad or the players aren't dedicated to the weight room. Both scenarios pose a problem

C

Chief00

It would be nice if Kentan could, I don't know, improve his game just a tick for next year? Whether that's in the weight room, jump shot, rebounding, defense or all of the above. It's like he plateaued at the age of 17.

Welcome to playing for position coach Glen Miller.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Facey and Brimah have been in the weight room compared to when they first came in. This is more of a "body type" issue. Guys like Enoch are built to hold weight and muscle differently.

Reaction Score
Strength and conditioning is important no doubt. For the returning players more time in the film room might benefit them more.
1. AB should be shown how to keep his blocks in play. Practice his footwork and positioning when going for rebounds and put backs. This is his last year. Hopefully the "rawness" in his game gets significantly reduced.
2. Send all our bigs to big man camps. Enoch can't afford to have the same yearly incremental improvement as AB. Enoch has been playing much longer so this probably won't be a problem.
3. I don't expect much from Larrier. A year out of actual game time experience. He will be rusty for at least the first half of the season. He will contribute but though.
4. Can't wait to see an even more improved Purvis, DH, and JA. I really hope the coaching staff points them to aspects of their game that will round out their games. JA still has some growing but Purvis and DH can be the 1-2 punch other teams will focus on.
5. Incoming frosh. I really hope Gilbert gives JA a fight for the starting PG.

Reaction Score
Some teams are going to have skilled muscle guys and unless we can match them up it's going to be trouble as it was last night. There is no amount of weight room that will change that for Brimah and Facey as they are genetic stringbeans. Enoch is a different story because he has the DNA body type. We have more stringbeans next year, right? So we still have a problem for all the skilled basketball players and recruiting class we will have and no Shonn. I have great concern because until we get the muscle we will always be vulnerable to certain teams. We need someone half way between Enoch and Drummond athletically and body size and I know they don't grow on trees. Actually I think with Steve's offense if they can teach him defense maybe he could be the answer for us, but AB and Facey are good help players with flaws but they are the cards we are dealt.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Having strength is great. But even if Amida gains 30 pounds of muscle this summer, he's still going to lack some of the basic basketball instincts that at times render him ineffective. The same can be said about Facey, too.

Facey and Brimah need to go work out with the football team's WR coach. Use that Jugs machine or whatever and just have 1000's of basketballs shot at them every day from every angle.

The inability of our returning bigs to catch the ball in motion and make a basketball move was the consistent failure of this team.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Virtually every game (except vs the low level teams) for many years has looked like its men vs boys
Its the body type that UConn recruits/attracts - the Ray Allen, Rip Hamilton wing types
UConn needs to go after the REAL big guys - if you are going after a stringbean project like AB, why not make it a project that looks like a D1 center?
Physically - Many teams look like they recruit from a mens league while UConn looks like they raid the CYO league

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
We need a center like the freshman at Indiana (Bryant??). How does the kid from Syracuse country not go there or to a Northeast school? We're we involved with this kid? He's better as a freshman than anyone we have will be as seniors. Let's make a push for Thon Maker.

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Get ripped! We should all join them. We'll be the buffest fan base in the land.
1rLy9h.gif

e86b1a5a11e32de87d051ce5a8275e32a7930b9bd2f30875163b900c08e6eee4_large

Reaction Score
We need a center like the freshman at Indiana (Bryant??). How does the kid from Syracuse country not go there or to a Northeast school? We're we involved with this kid? He's better as a freshman than anyone we have will be as seniors. Let's make a push for Thon Maker.
he was a 5* recruit, not some random 3* kid who surprised everyone. Zach Brown will likely mirror the production this kid had in 2 years when he gets here

Reaction Score
I know many here like having a gymnastics strength coach working on flexibility and conditioning.

I know that this is just another one of your Chiefean arguments, like the co-ed scrimmage, that people like to laugh at while you think they're agreeing with you, but even accepting your premise is idiotic.

Even if we assumed for a second that the gymnastics thing is relevant -which it's not - what is it about that sport that makes you think the focus is "flexibility and conditioning"? Have you ever seen a gymnast? Conditioning? For when they're required to do 3 miles of backflips?

If there's one thing that gymnasts don't lack it's "power strength," whatever that means. They tend to be built like brick sh_thouses. It's like you're confusing gymnastics with distance running or something.

But of course the gymnastics thing is irrelevant, it's just another bizarre thing that makes you the lovable Boneyard psychopath.

Illian is literally a Ph D in this s__t. He knows what he's doing. That you, the guy who makes up stories about hanging out with people who are literally in a different state, can't comprehend that a guy who previously worked with one set of athletes can work with another doesn't mean it's not true.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Chief said gymnastics - everybody drink!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Facey and Brimah have been in the weight room compared to when they first came in. This is more of a "body type" issue. Guys like Enoch are built to hold weight and muscle differently.

Yep, people are acting like you are going to turn Facey into Jeff Adrien. What Facey and Brimah have is pretty close to what you'll get, for the next couple of years anyway (metabolism eventually changes). These kids are string beans genetically.

You can't turn a grey hound into a bulldog by sticking him in the weight room. Maybe with a ton of PEDS, but even then, the joints and ligaments are thin comparatively. Their frames are thin.

Want a bigger team? Recruit bigger players. Recruit kids like Jeff Adrien and you'll have guys with size.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I know that this is just another one of your Chiefean arguments, like the co-ed scrimmage, that people like to laugh at while you think they're agreeing with you, but even accepting your premise is idiotic.

Even if we assumed for a second that the gymnastics thing is relevant -which it's not - what is it about that sport that makes you think the focus is "flexibility and conditioning"? Have you ever seen a gymnast? Conditioning? For when they're required to do 3 miles of backflips?

If there's one thing that gymnasts don't lack it's "power strength," whatever that means. They tend to be built like brick sh_thouses. It's like you're confusing gymnastics with distance running or something.

But of course the gymnastics thing is irrelevant, it's just another bizarre thing that makes you the lovable Boneyard psychopath.

Illian is literally a Ph D in this s__t. He knows what he's doing. That you, the guy who makes up stories about hanging out with people who are literally in a different state, can't comprehend that a guy who previously worked with one set of athletes can work with another doesn't mean it's not true.

That was oddly satisfying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3