Weep Not For Baylor Recruiting | The Boneyard

Weep Not For Baylor Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For everyone who was "concerned" that Baylor wasn't recruiting well ...

Bret_normal.jpg

ASGR1995 Bret McCormick

BAYLOR gets #75 Niya Johnson 5'9 PG FL.The Bears have the No.1 recruiting class in the Big 12.They have 4 players in the top 90 in country.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
4 in the top 90 is not spectacular. But it will get you by, especially, if they fit well in your system.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
For everyone who was "concerned" that Baylor wasn't recruiting well ...

Bret_normal.jpg

ASGR1995 Bret McCormick

BAYLOR gets #75 Niya Johnson 5'9 PG FL.The Bears have the No.1 recruiting class in the Big 12.They have 4 players in the top 90 in country.
Are you really impressed with the #75 player in the country?

That is the ASGR ranking. Hoopgurlz has her at 43.

So, according to the HG rankings, they now have 43, 44, 56 and someone outside the top 100. Good for some schools, but if you want to be in the top 10, this isn't going to work.

Everyone who is concerned (not me) should still be concerned.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
well good for them. the thing i noted, after getting Simms from 2010 and Griner, Chandler (etc) as well as transfers Williams and Pope effective 2009, is that they got one kid from 2011 who was outside the top 100 and now they got 3 kids in the top 50 for 2012. they do have Caldwell and Calvert - 2 PG's from 2014. these two seem pretty good but no rankings exist for them. so it's not like the cupboard is bare, but after Griner, Williams, Chandler, Pope, etc leave, the only top 10 kid left in the team will be Simms, unless they land some big recruits in 2013 who are top 10...

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I don't think those rankings outside maybe the top 10 mean that much...the recruiters might have seen them play one time or not at all. Plus, look at a player like Stef...she wasn't THAT highly rated and we all know how that turned out.

Still, agreed that they might be losing a step, especially with Jefferson heading east. Who knows how many Texas kids will follow? Baylor really needs to be able to recruit in-state to stay competitive with A&M and OU alone! Tennessee has been getting Texans for years, and now UConn...doesn't bode that well for Baylor.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I don't think those rankings outside maybe the top 10 mean that much...the recruiters might have seen them play one time or not at all. Plus, look at a player like Stef...she wasn't THAT highly rated and we all know how that turned out.

Still, agreed that they might be losing a step, especially with Jefferson heading east. Who knows how many Texas kids will follow? Baylor really needs to be able to recruit in-state to stay competitive with A&M and OU alone! Tennessee has been getting Texans for years, and now UConn...doesn't bode that well for Baylor.
Good point about Dolson. But that class had #10 Walker and #14 Hartley. This Baylor class is 43, 44, 56 and NR.

Reaction Score
Given the 8? quality players in the Griner/Sims classes, I'm not sure what anyone expected from the class just following them. And now in the year after that, they've got the top-rated class in the Big 12. Seems pretty good to me.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Given the 8? quality players in the Griner/Sims classes, I'm not sure what anyone expected from the class just following them. And now in the year after that, they've got the top-rated class in the Big 12. Seems pretty good to me.

I agree. And as Mulkey becomes more prominent as a coach during the Griner years, there are kids who will become attracted to her style and attitude and that will help them in future recruiting. I think they're doing just fine.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
it is pretty good. landing 3 kids between 40 and 50 is pretty good and about what a team like Texas usually gets. that will put you in the top 25 but that's not what Baylor wants.

i'm not trying to split hairs, but while getting an effective class of 8 with 2 or 3 top 10 kids in it is super of course. when they leave, they will have Simms as literally the only top 40 player on the team depending on what they get in 2013.

to put it in more perspective relating to teams i'm familiar with, when UCONN got TASSK force to go along with Sveta and Schuey just a year ahead of them, they landed KJ the following year, a top 20 PG. the year after that was Diana, Ashley B, etc.

when tennessee landed the 6-pack, the following year they got top 20 Moss. the following year top 20 McMahon and Moats, and Bobbitt from JUCO.

when tennessee landed the second anaconda class of stricklen, johnson, etc, they landed top 20 spani the next year and top 20 simmons the following year. avant was at one time considered the top player in her class so it's not like they recruited nobodies, same as UCONN.

but Baylor has followed up their 8-pack with uber guard Simms, then no one in the top 40 the following 2 years.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
it is pretty good. landing 3 kids between 40 and 50 is pretty good and about what a team like Texas usually gets. that will put you in the top 25 but that's not what Baylor wants.
Exactly, they are shooting for something much higher. Something higher than Griner's reach.

Reaction Score
it is pretty good. landing 3 kids between 40 and 50 is pretty good and about what a team like Texas usually gets.

So it's all about recruiting? Coaching doesn't matter?

And I'm not quite sure what your TN examples show, since pretty much of all of those follow-up classes were busts. The fact that they were highly-rated busts seems irrelevant.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It is about both. Geno always says that getting great players makes you look brilliant.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So it's all about recruiting? Coaching doesn't matter?

And I'm not quite sure what your TN examples show, since pretty much of all of those follow-up classes were busts. The fact that they were highly-rated busts seems irrelevant.
not sure i get your point. Moss and Moats left the program and McMahon had injuries, but that doesn't mean they weren't top 20 recruits. as for Spani, Avant, and Simmons, again, top 40, and even top 20 recruits after a very large class.

like i said, Baylor has had 2 consecutive classes without a single top 40 player. that's fine if you want to be like Texas and Vandy - generally in or close to the top 25, but never making a push for a final 4 or NC...

as for coaching, no matter how good a coach is, s/he's not going to get into the top 10 or compete for a NC without top level players. getting no one in the top 40 for 2 consecutive years won't do it...

how well would a team composed of Paige Sauer, Stacey Hansmeyer, Maria Conlon, Ashley Valley, Cassie Kerns, Tahira Williams, Lauren Engeln, Heather Buck, Meghan Gardler, and Maya Moore do? that's basically a team of top 60'ish recruits along with top player Maya. i'd say top 25 but not top 10.

but that's essentially what Baylor will have Simms senior year unless they get some top 20 recruits from 2013...

Reaction Score
High School success does not guarantee the same in College as we have seen with countless players who were highly ranked but didn't pan out and on the other hand players who were not highly regarded (as in HS AA) became very good players in College and even stars in the WNBA.
KM is a very good coach. IMO one of the top 3 or so (after Geno and Tara) and will get a lot out of those players. If I’m not mistaken her Championship team didn’t have a single HS AA (as S. Young was unknown coming into college).

tigger

LSU Tigger
Reaction Score
I just hope their class stays average---if they get Prince, I may lose my mind.

Reaction Score
Great!
Let them have the 75's while we settle for the 1's & 2's, etc.
Without BG they wouldn't be in the top 10.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We may not have any top AAs this season but we do have a great defense led by Kelly and Tiff. We have great guards, a terrific shooter in KML, the number 1/2 post player in the country who can score inside and out. I think just because we dont have the big name like Maya to go to, we have alot of other players who we can go to. Dont forget a couple of seasons ago Renee took over this team. That will happen this season again.

We have alot of balance this season. Stef will be a monster and Bria will be one player we can count on. We are spoiled with all the AA's weve had on the same team. The players we have on our roster right now are AA's in the making. They will be there. I keep saying this, we are better then advertised. We have alot of balance, we have the aircraft carrier in the middle, who will be very tuff to stop because of her 6'5 size and her fundementals, we have great defense, great passing and great ball handlers. We dont make alot of mistakes . This is a very good team. I expect us to go down to WACO and if we dont get some homecookin/foul trouble we will beat Baylor by double digets.

Baylor may not have alot of top players coming in, next season and many teams dont and part of the reason for that is UConn has most of them. UConn is going to be very good for the next 5 seasons. Uconn is getting the cream of the crop and more of it then anyteam has in quite a long time. We are only getting better each season. I hope it never stops.

Reaction Score
We may not have any top AAs this season but we do have a great defense led by Kelly and Tiff. We have great guards, a terrific shooter in KML, the number 1/2 post player in the country who can score inside and out. I think just because we dont have the big name like Maya to go to, we have alot of other players who we can go to. Dont forget a couple of seasons ago Renee took over this team. That will happen this season again.

We have alot of balance this season. Stef will be a monster and Bria will be one player we can count on. We are spoiled with all the AA's weve had on the same team. The players we have on our roster right now are AA's in the making. They will be there. I keep saying this, we are better then advertised. We have alot of balance, we have the aircraft carrier in the middle, who will be very tuff to stop because of her 6'5 size and her fundementals, we have great defense, great passing and great ball handlers. We dont make alot of mistakes . This is a very good team. I expect us to go down to WACO and if we dont get some homecookin/foul trouble we will beat Baylor by double digets.

Baylor may not have alot of top players coming in, next season and many teams dont and part of the reason for that is UConn has most of them. UConn is going to be very good for the next 5 seasons. Uconn is getting the cream of the crop and more of it then anyteam has in quite a long time. We are only getting better each season. I hope it never stops.

TonyC, you forgot to mention we have the best coaching staff in WCBB. They will make this group into a FF team.

tigger

LSU Tigger
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Baylor fan here.

Over the years we have signed a few of the 5 star type recruits(Griner, Odyssey Sims, etc.) However, most of our prospects have not gotten that type of credit from the recruiting "gurus." In the last several years we have signed a lot more who are ranked in the #50 to #100 type range.

IMO, the recruiting rankings in women's basketball are not nearly as accurate as on the men's side. The top 15 national types in WBB are usually solid but after that it is more of a crapshoot.

Kim Mulkey is a tremendous coach. Top 5 in the nation, easy. She is absolutely phenomenal when it comes to developing talent. She is similar to Geno A when it comes to demanding the ultimate effort from her players.(and on a side note, this is one thing that knocks us out with some recruits. Some high school girls are afraid of the commitment that is required if they come to our program. Mulkey is pretty open about this fact).

Also, even though we have not gotten all the top high school recruits that we wanted, this has been offset to a degree by our success with transfers. Coach Mulkey has done extremely well with this over the years.... it seems like just about every season we have at least one player who makes all conference who came in as a transfer.

Those of you who say our program is declining are off base. At the end of the day, as long as Coach Mulkey is here, we will be at least a sweet 16 caliber program pretty much no matter what.

TC

Reaction Score

We only have one Texan; hopefully we will get many more!

Reaction Score
Lets see what happens between now and January 15th with Baylor, ND, U.Tenn........Playing out front is different that chasing UCONN. Geno likes where his team sits.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
We just got a commitment from NO. 16 Alexis Prince!!!!!!!!!
I'm so excited, this class seems like a full starting five of the future.
All of which, get to play one year with Griner and two years under Sims.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Baylor's best teams have usually involved one or two stars/elite level players with other complentary players around them, rather than a roster littered with All-Americans. These complementary players have ranged from top 30 players to top 75 players.

2001-2002 - Sheila Lambert and Danielle Crockrom (with Fox and McCormack as role players, plus a group of freshmen)
2004-2005 - Sophia Young (with Steffanie Blackmon and Emily Niemann as the complementary/role players)
2010-2011 - Britney Griner and Odyssey Sims (with Melissa Jones as the glue player, plus other talented players in Hayden and Williams and occasional spurts from Pope)

And if Shanay Washington comes back soon from her injury, this will be the deepest team of Mulkey's tenure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom