Week of 2/26 Other Games | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Week of 2/26 Other Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
New Mexico getting beat pretty good on the road. I love their talent, but they've just lost a ton of games. I don't know if they make it.

So the NET is airtight when we are talking about the Big 12, but we should ignore it when we discuss the MWC?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Villanova got a much needed win. If they win at Seton Hall and pick up one game in the BET, they are probably going to the Dance. I don't see the committee keeping out a team in the Top 30 of NET outside the MWC and Big 12 given those two league's shenanigans. St. Johns is in pretty good shape too. They will win out, finish 19-12 (11-9) and have a first round game against Seton Hall. Even a loss in that game is not fatal.

Remember that every bubble team is going to pick up at least one more loss.

Gonzaga is off the bubble which they probably weren't on in the first place.

Memphis could make a run in the AAC tournament. I don't get why Penny stays there rather than go to an SEC team.

Reaction Score
So the NET is airtight when we are talking about the Big 12, but we should ignore it when we discuss the MWC?
Show me where I said in these recent dicussions that we should judge selection for a team based on their NET. My talking points have been that 1) the ACC coaches don't understand the NET and 2) they are dumb because NET isn't as important as they think.

What I said was this:
Since we don't have much to care about as far as NCAA tournament selection or seeding for ourselves, I'm gonna do a weekly Big East Bubble Update. The most important metric for selection is the "Resume", which is the average of Strength of Record (SOR), KPI, and Wins Above Bubble (WAB). "Power" has more influence on seeding. Everything else varies committee by committee.
Or maybe check the link in this post:
There is no evidence that the committee uses the NET to be precise. Check this post and see where a team's actual NET ranking lies:

Or maybe this post suggesting an alteration to the NET and that it isn't important for your team:
Other metrics have things to mitigate situations like this (Haslam has analytically final, Torvik uses average lead throughout the game so the final margin isn't as important, etc.).

We don't know for sure if NET includes any of these mitigation strategies, but if it doesn't, the NCAA should incorporate something and spread that news so that coaches can literally rest easily. Either way, playing your starters to the end increases risk of injury and minutes load fatigue, so it's a consideration coaches need to make individually for a marginal increase in NET. Which again, is more important for your opponents than for yourself.
Or here saying the committee looks beyond the numbers.
It's clear Capel has like a 20% understanding of the NET (people tell him there's margin of victory involved) and somehow even less understanding of the selection process. This seems like a problem if you're a D1 basketball coach.
"I wish that was not the only thing that determined, wish there were some human beings that looked and watched and saw and really studied and picked who makes the tournament, not just going by computers and numbers and stuff. "
This is literally what happens.

Reaction Score
Someone said it once and everyone just ran with it. Just one of those random viral meme heckles. There's no basis of truth. I think it started because Marquette posted their guys with 3.5 GPAs and it was everyone on the team except Kolek.
It's that troll Simon Baker on twitter (I have know idea if that's the troll name or not) who said Kolek was academically ineligible for the rest of the year. I think Chief and some of the other people who have been banned for me are creating threads about it. Of course the fatso Arby's Providence fan rolls with it for giggles.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Gonzaga looked like they were cooked midway through the season but they've recovered well
Yeah, Ike getting into the flow has been huge. Over past six weeks (since 1/20), Zags have been #10 best team in country according to Torvik, one spot ahead of Creighton.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga looked like they were cooked midway through the season but they've recovered well
Yeah, they have quietly come on and are a near lock for the Tournament despite (as I expected) falling on their face after they lost to us. They were clear frauds as a top 10 team, but at least are Quad 1 and back in the top 25 and in the field.

Reaction Score
Yeah, Ike getting into the flow has been huge. Over past six weeks (since 1/20), Zags have been #10 best team in country according to Torvik, one spot ahead of Creighton.
Thats insane considering how bad they looked when we played them. Or did we just make them look bad?

Reaction Score
Yeah, they have quietly come on and are a near lock for the Tournament despite (as I expected) falling on their face after they lost to us. They were clear frauds as a top 10 team, but at least are Quad 1 and back in the top 25 and in the field.
They're a lock and they're not frauds, there's hardly anything separating them and a few of the top 10 teams.

Reaction Score
Thats insane considering how bad they looked when we played them. Or did we just make them look bad?
No, not just us. They were actually pretty bad for several weeks after playing us and have since gotten their stuff together.

Reaction Score
Oh wow he's really good. That's a big blow. He's one of the best defenders in the country. Insane wingspan

Reaction Score
Had no idea Andy Kennedy was a HC somewhere until today, the swing in the UAB/Memphis game was ridiculous, I thought for sure Memphis was gonna roll over and accept the L

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Had no idea Andy Kennedy was a HC somewhere until today, the swing in the UAB/Memphis game was ridiculous, I thought for sure Memphis was gonna roll over and accept the L

Yeah, don't often see a team score 61 in 1st half only to score 26 in 2nd.

UAB had same halftime lead as us, 15 pts. Imagine Hall winning by 19 after being behind at half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom