Week 5 AP Poll - UConn remains at #26 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Week 5 AP Poll - UConn remains at #26

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
A 4-3 team, if this were the case, is not being moved up with any sort of loss...

Reaction Score
Am I missing something?

Apparently.

We're all aware that the rankings are incredibly lazy, so any loss drops you. You have to be an idiot to think that losing on a neutral court to the #6 team "proves" that you aren't worthy of the top-25. This isn't even about the where UConn is ranked right now; this is about the insane argument that "a loss is a loss," and that we shouldn't use any context beyond that.

Reaction Score
No one is arguing that we will move up if we lose to Maryland in a close game, but it's an indictment of the thought process of the voters when they drop teams that (by their own rankings) played according to their previously understood strengths.

The extreme example is if you are #25 and you lose to #1, how does that prove that you aren't worthy of being #25? In that situation it makes no sense for a voter to drop the #25 team off their ballot, but it often happens.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Apparently.

We're all aware that the rankings are incredibly lazy, so any loss drops you. You have to be an idiot to think that losing on a neutral court to the #6 team "proves" that you aren't worthy of the top-25. This isn't even about the where UConn is ranked right now; this is about the insane argument that "a loss is a loss," and that we shouldn't use any context beyond that.
I completely agree. All I'm saying is were not moving into the top 25 with a loss, I thought that was the conversation.

Reaction Score
The overall point here is that if we lose to #6 Maryland by 1 we will not be ranked next week. Enough said.

Reaction Score
If we lose by 1 on a neutral court to the #6 team in the country you think it is justified we are not ranked?
No but I don't vote and I'm saying they still will justify the ranking if we lose.

Reaction Score
too bad that was not what the conversation was about, but thanks we all knew that already
If you actually think he meant that all losses are equal this conversation is never going anywhere. Take a lap, buddy.

Reaction Score
If you actually think he meant that all losses are equal this conversation is never going anywhere. Take a lap, buddy.
try reading post #7, buddy.

amazing you call someone out but do not even read the conversation.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Don't think they'll be ranked at all in the coaches poll all season due to the ban, but the AP poll is the better poll anyways.
I do not pay attention to the Coaches Poll. That poll has no bearing on the seeding come March-April. Who votes? Coaches!

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
No one is arguing that we will move up if we lose to Maryland in a close game, but it's an indictment of the thought process of the voters when they drop teams that (by their own rankings) played according to their previously understood strengths.

The extreme example is if you are #25 and you lose to #1, how does that prove that you aren't worthy of being #25? In that situation it makes no sense for a voter to drop the #25 team off their ballot, but it often happens.
I agree Leebo. A #1 is supposed to beat a #25. OR take any game that's ranked. Of course there are the upsets which validate drops,

Reaction Score
Some losses are obviously different than others but for the sake of this game I think what August says is relatively true. Of course a team that loses by 1 is probably better than one that loses by 30, and I'm somebody who values kenpom and the advanced metrics as much as anybody, but at some point I do think it's best to make a team earn their way into the polls by winning games.

The most objective people on the planet are the guys in Vegas, and I can't count how many times I've seen a line and scratched my head only to see Vegas be vindicated later. By now, it's obvious that they know more than me in regards to using the past as a predictor of the future, and margin of victory is one of many things that come into play.

I don't think context should be ignored, though, and I don't think team A should be ranked higher than team B just because team A would be favored on a neutral court. Take UConn and Providence - I think UConn is the better team, I think they would be favored on a neutral court, and I think that by the end of the year this will all prove true. But does that mean UConn should be ranked higher than Providence right now or that our season has been better than theirs? I say no.

Reaction Score
I do not pay attention to the Coaches Poll. That poll has no bearing on the seeding come March-April. Who votes? Coaches!
Yeah I always wonder how much time a Coach (during the season) has to really put effort and research into their selections. Looking at the list below the major Div1 coaches probably think this is too tedious and certainly don't have the time. I suspect they only look at the weekly won/losses and not spreads, how they played in defeat, injuries, etc.

Writers (AP) have more free time and resources.

The USA TODAY Sports Board of Coaches is made up of 32 head coaches at Division I institutions. All are members of the National Association of Basketball Coaches. The board for the 2015-16 season: Randy Bennett, Saint Mary?s; Jim Boeheim, Syracuse; Todd Bozeman, Morgan State; Glenn Braica, St. Francis Brooklyn; Scott Cherry, High Point; Tim Cluess, Iona; Ed Conroy, Tulane; Keith Dambrot, Akron; Cameron Dollar, Seattle; Scott Drew, Baylor; Matt Driscoll, North Florida; Steve Fisher, San Diego State; Bruiser Flint, Drexel; Mark Fox, Georgia; John Gallagher, Hartford; Matthew Graves, South Alabama; Ray Harper, Western Kentucky; George Ivory, Arkansas-Pine Bluff; Ben Jacobson, Northern Iowa; Rob Jeter, Wisconsin-Milwaukee; James Jones, Yale; Mike McConathy, Northwestern State; Greg McDermott, Creighton; Chris Mooney, Richmond; Matt Painter, Purdue; Randy Rahe, Weber State; Heath Schroyer, Tennessee-Martin; Joe Scott, Denver; Zach Spiker, Army; Wayne Tinkle, Oregon State; Bob Williams, UC-Santa Barbara; Mike Young, Wofford.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Ahead of Cuse and Zags too - LOL. I believe the parity this year is whacked, going to be a lot of teams in the dance with a lot more losses than normal.
Only problem with this is that if they continue to get beat, our "Good Losses" turn into bad losses.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If you lose to St. Johns you should be automatically disqualified from the NCAA or NIT tournaments

If your mascot is a orange ball, you should be excluded from the NCAA tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom