Week 13 AP Poll | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Week 13 AP Poll

Reaction Score
Wins over #11 Wisconsin, #14 Texas Tech, #17 UConn, #15 at the time Seton Hall, #21 Xavier, #24 Marquette, that's a lot of really good wins for them. Texas Tech has Kansas, Baylor and #20 Iowa St.

Reaction Score
Wins over #11 Wisconsin, #14 Texas Tech, #17 UConn, #15 at the time Seton Hall, #21 Xavier, #24 Marquette, that's a lot of really good wins for them. Texas Tech has Kansas, Baylor and #20 Iowa St.
Texas Tech also beat Tennessee. The SH win is the same as TT's win over Miss St, the two are ranked right next to each other on KenPom.

Kansas, Baylor, Tennessee are all top 13 in Kenpom, ISU is #24. Outside of TT, PC's best two wins are Wisky, without Johnny Davis, and UConn without Sanago. TT's resume is better.

Reaction Score
Two AP voters didn't rank PC at all. Who was the one who admitted they made a mistake? The other one is definitely disrespecting PC.

Btw, one voter who didn't rank PC at all, Jesse Newell, has Auburn 7th. No other voter has them lower than 2nd. He also has Baylor #2 this week. He had them #4 last week. They lost to an unranked Alabama over the weekend. I guess he lives under a rock and why I don't get too worked up over these rankings. Some of the voters are stupid or don't pay attention. Or both.
It wasn't Newell. It was the other guy. Newell appears to have just given his ballot to KenPom, which is a dumb but also a hilarious troll.

Reaction Score
I also noticed using collegepolltracker that we were ranked by every single voter this week, all 61. First time this season. Stephen Tsai of Honolulu was the only one that had us unranked when we hit our peak of 15; this week, he’s one of several writers that have us at 22, which is our lowest ranking.

Reaction Score
How bad is the ACC when the conference leader isn't even ranked. Unfortunately Miami will share the lead after tonight because someone has to win. I am somewhat intrigued.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

The biggest dork in dorksville

Seth is the biggest source of some of my favorite predictions

Florida vs UConn 2014 semifinal. "Men against boys", game won't be competitive. When Florida took an early 18-2 or so lead he tweeted, "told you"

"UConn cannot win the National Championship with Taliek Brown as their PG". Said it from October 2003 to the National Championship of 2004.

Essentially picked Gonzaga to win the title like 20 times already

If there's any expert that knows nothing about NCAAB, it's Seth Davis. His only rival may be Doug-Got-Nothing

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Texas Tech also beat Tennessee. The SH win is the same as TT's win over Miss St, the two are ranked right next to each other on KenPom.

Kansas, Baylor, Tennessee are all top 13 in Kenpom, ISU is #24. Outside of TT, PC's best two wins are Wisky, without Johnny Davis, and UConn without Sanago. TT's resume is better.
Haven't we already heard though that it's the result of 2 voters who mistakenly omitted PC? They would otherwise be higher

Reaction Score
Haven't we already heard though that it's the result of 2 voters who mistakenly omitted PC? They would otherwise be higher
Only 1 made a mistake. The other one is an idiot who ranks teams solely based on Kenpom, which has Providence in the 40s.

Reaction Score
I mean, not really. Texas Tech has 741 points and Providence has 709 points. Jeff Rabjohns forgot to rank them this week and said they would have been at 14. That means the guy who didn't rank them at all would have needed to rank PC top 5 to pass Texas Tech

Reaction Score
Well I certainly agree not ranking them is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Only 1 made a mistake. The other one is an idiot who ranks teams solely based on Kenpom, which has Providence in the 40s.
Maybe Kenpom’s algorithm is wrong? Why give an idiot a vote if he’s parroting a computer program? Give his vote to the computer

Reaction Score
I think a this point in the season your record especially if you are playing in a major conference should weigh more than Kenpom. Providence is 18-2 and has 3 top 20 wins. For comparison Az has 1 top 20 win. Things can change but currently Providence is being under-ranked.

Reaction Score

some wacky seeding this week. seems like we should be seeded higher than marquette and xavier at the moment. 7 BE teams in:

3. Nova
4. PC
5. Marquette
6. UConn & Xavier
10. Hall
11. Creighton
Jerry Palm has PC as a 2 seed. UConn as a 5 seed. I don't care much at this point in the season. Just win.

Reaction Score
12,15, 17, 21, and 24. Big East definitely strong.
Only 27 1/2 days until March. Let’s see where things are as we approach the Eve of Madness. Glad I am retired now so I can watch and simultaneously listen to all the games I want without setting a bad example for trainees.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
He uses essentially a blend of computer models as his ranking.

"You start with what we’re trying to do with the AP poll,” Newell said. “I think we all could have different answers, and reasonable minds could disagree about what we’re doing here, you know what I mean? To me, it goes down to two basic trains of thought: Are you trying to rank the best teams or are you trying to rank the most deserving teams?”

Newell’s approach has always been to try to rank the best teams. To him, that has meant relying on more datapoints and advanced metrics to sort through all the teams and come up with his top-25. He leans on the metrics from KenPom.com, T-Rank, Sagarin, Team Rankings and BPI to come up with his ballot each week. Those algorithms take into consideration how a team looks possession by possession over the course of a game.

This week, those metrics have Auburn ninth, seventh, 10th, ninth and 12th, respectively. All five of those metrics also have Gonzaga as the No. 1 team in the country.

Of course, Newell understands his voting philosophy isn’t shared by everyone. While he aims to try to determine the best teams — and try to answer the question of who would be favored, head-to-head, on a neutral court — others often try to determine the most deserving team when compiling their ballot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom