Week 11 - Jan 15 to 21 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Week 11 - Jan 15 to 21

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Those UConn fans who follow recruiting ( especially that of Ayanna Patterson) know that Ashlynn Watkins was dunking in the 9th grade. Admittedly, not everyone tracks 9th grade girls

She is probably the best defender and athlete on our team. Her shots need polishing and she’s horrible at the FT line though
I also do not follow recruiting other than looking at the HS Rankings a few times a year.
But I will admit that I watched some HS YouTube videos of Paige and watched a couple of Azzi's HS games on ESPN.
I am not a diehard WBB fan but consider myself a pretty good fan of UConn WBB.
Man, insomnia sucks.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I've seen a couple predictions of Oregon St. over Stanford. The Beavs have won ONCE at Maples in the last 20 or 25 years or so. Seems fairly unlikely to me.
Given your track record with the woofing gods, I'm inclined to ask if you have a death wish? You have until Sunday morning to see daylight and predict OreSU wins by 30. :D

Reaction Score
I also do not follow recruiting other than looking at the HS Rankings a few times a year.
But I will admit that I watched some HS YouTube videos of Paige and watched a couple of Azzi's HS games on ESPN.
I am not a diehard WBB fan but consider myself a pretty good fan of UConn WBB.
Man, insomnia sucks.
I can fall asleep in a second-the first time.

But the old man’s complaint get’s me up around 3:30. Then, the insomnia kicks in

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
@BRS24 No love for the smaller conferences?
This week's highlight was Army/Navy, as my hub is a USNA grad. As certain matchups catch my eye, I'll highlight them, however I'm not as well versed in the smaller conferences as some here. If there are some tasty games coming up, just give me a DM shout.

Reaction Score
There's a few good matchups out there. Generally, when I refer to an unbeaten team, I'm speaking about conference play. Just a few games that caught my eyes.

Richmond-Davidson (1/17): The Spiders have become the class of the A-10, and they put their perfect record in conference play on the line against a Davidson squad that beat Duke; however, Davidson has stumbled early in A-10 play with their star, Elle Sutphin, dealing with an injury.
Toledo-Kent State (1/17): Two unbeaten teams enter the arena, only one can leave. Toledo has for so long relied on program stalwart Quinesha Lockett, who has been out with injury. This is an important test for both teams as they battle to see who will be the biggest threat to Ball State's claim to the throne this season in MACTION. Kent State beat Mizzou, and Toledo dominated Michigan as both teams claimed impressive P-5 victories in the preseason.

Old Dominion v. Marshall (1/18): The Thundering Herd meet their sternest test in conference play as they take on the Monarchs. Look for Abby Beeman and Aislynn Hayes to lead the Herd to a win over the Monarchs who have a well balanced attack.

Murray State v. Northern Iowa (1/19): Northern Iowa may be struggling this season, but never count them out in MVC play!

Belmont v. Drake (1/19)

Old Dominion v. James Madison (1/20)

East Tennessee State v. Chattanooga (1/20)

Colorado State v. Wyoming (1/20):
The Border War starts anew as the Rams take on the Cowgirls as Wyoming looks to maintain an unblemished record in the MW as McKenna Hofschild, the best guard out of Colorado State since Becky Hammon, has designs on wrecking that record.

Columbia v. Princeton (1/20):

South Dakota v. South Dakota State (1/21):
It might be an off year for the Coyotes, but never count them out in the battle for South Dakota while Grace Larkins is still around.

St. Joseph's v. Rhode Island (1/21): A classic A-10 battle between two contenders!

Murray State v. Drake (1/21): It's a big week in the MVC as title contenders have some big games to see who's going to emerge at the head of the class.

Toledo v. Ball State (1/21): MACTION is heating up as Toledo has two big games this week to control their destiny and shape how the conference will shake out but Ally Becki and Ball State hope to create their own destiny here.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Here's my predictions for this week:
  • UConn -- 2 wins
  • Villanova upsets Marquette
  • Vanderbilt beats Auburn, loses to Tennessee
  • Indiana -- 2 wins
  • UNC -- 2 wins
  • USC -- 2 losses
  • Stanford beats Oregon, loses to Ore St
  • tOSU upsets Iowa, loses to MD
  • Virginia upsets ND
  • Duke upsets NC St
What about UCLA who plays the same two teams as USC?

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
You have a point there. But Stanford has come out flat a couple of times recently, and almost lost to Utah last week -- I might amend that to say should have lost to Utah but for some erratic reffing.

On the other hand, Ore St had a close loss to USC. But then, the Beavers often manage to fall just short. If only Reagan Beers and Kelsey Rees could put something together in the front court... But Brink and Iriafen aren't still hoping to put things together. They're already doing it.
Also for @nwhoopfan and @LoTrader The winner of the Stanford-OSU game will be whichever center stays out of foul trouble-Beers or Brink. The Cardinal do have an offense with two other players in Iriafen and Jump, something that OSU does not have despite TVO and Gardiner being highly acclaimed. My bet is on Stanford at home but will be rooting for the Beavs. Scott needs to hire an assistant from LSU or Iowa to learn how high scoring offenses work. Before Clark arrived, Lisa Bluder was known as an offensive minded coach....

Reaction Score
What about UCLA who plays the same two teams as USC?
Good question. My crystal ball didn't give me a clear picture of the UCLA Colorado game. Maybe the effects of altitude. Since I live in much higher mountains here in Santa Fe -- ~2,000 ft higher -- I can't always see what will happen in the lowlands.

What's your sense of that game? Can Sherrod overcome the UCLA guards?

Reaction Score
Good question. My crystal ball didn't give me a clear picture of the UCLA Colorado game. Maybe the effects of altitude. Since I live in much higher mountains here in Santa Fe -- ~2,000 ft higher -- I can't always see what will happen in the lowlands.

What's your sense of that game? Can Sherrod overcome the UCLA guards?

Colorado held Osbourne to 3-16 and Rice to 1-9 on the floor last time out in an overtime victory for UCLA in Boulder. I think the Colorado guards will be well equipped to frustrate UCLA - and they should be able to hold Betts in check a la Brink this past weekend. Expect it to be a tight battle with Colorado coming out on top.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
To me, and it would be proven once @Plebe blesses it, this is the best week of basketball this season with so many good games to watch! So thank you @BRS24 for putting this together for all of us planning challenged fans.
:cool:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
This week's highlight was Army/Navy, as my hub is a USNA grad. As certain matchups catch my eye, I'll highlight them, however I'm not as well versed in the smaller conferences as some here. If there are some tasty games coming up, just give me a DM shout.

Big matchup in the Big South on Wednesday. Presbyterian College vs High Point. The Winner takes sole possession of 3rd in the Big South Conference. The two undefeated leaders in the conference Radford and USC-Upstate have a huge matchup on Saturday.

There's a few good matchups out there. Generally, when I refer to an unbeaten team, I'm speaking about conference play. Just a few games that caught my eyes.

Richmond-Davidson (1/17): The Spiders have become the class of the A-10, and they put their perfect record in conference play on the line against a Davidson squad that beat Duke; however, Davidson has stumbled early in A-10 play with their star, Elle Sutphin, dealing with an injury.

Old Dominion v. James Madison (1/20)

East Tennessee State v. Chattanooga (1/20)

Columbia v. Princeton (1/20):

South Dakota v. South Dakota State (1/21):
It might be an off year for the Coyotes, but never count them out in the battle for South Dakota while Grace Larkins is still around.

Toledo v. Ball State (1/21): MACTION is heating up as Toledo has two big games this week to control their destiny and shape how the conference will shake out but Ally Becki and Ball State hope to create their own destiny here.

1, Well you do know that Duke beat Richmond by 30 :rolleyes:

2, Old Colonial matchup back in the day :oops:

3, Glad you put this one in.... these two along with my Spartans of UNC-G are the class of the Southern

4. Go Lions

5. Throw out the record books

6. Go Rockets.... Duke beat them by 25 ...:cool:

Reaction Score
Also for @nwhoopfan and @LoTrader The winner of the Stanford-OSU game will be whichever center stays out of foul trouble-Beers or Brink. The Cardinal do have an offense with two other players in Iriafen and Jump, something that OSU does not have despite TVO and Gardiner being highly acclaimed. My bet is on Stanford at home but will be rooting for the Beavs. Scott needs to hire an assistant from LSU or Iowa to learn how high scoring offenses work. Before Clark arrived, Lisa Bluder was known as an offensive minded coach....
I won't allow myself to think about OSU vs Stanford until OSU vs Cal game is over. In both games the advantage OSU has that OSU has never had is a deeper bench. No idea if it will matter, but I'm looking forward to watching both games this weekend (among other great PAC-12 matchups).

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The Boneyard's favorite scorer :D is coming up on Peacock at 8p ET 9pm Eastern / 8pm Central as Wisconsin pays a visit to Iowa City.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Colorado held Osbourne to 3-16 and Rice to 1-9 on the floor last time out in an overtime victory for UCLA in Boulder. I think the Colorado guards will be well equipped to frustrate UCLA - and they should be able to hold Betts in check a la Brink this past weekend. Expect it to be a tight battle with Colorado coming out on top.
The UCLA looked exactly like they did most of last year in the USC game. I always thought their guards would hold them back this season and early season play seemed like that might be wrong but now I’m going back to my original thought.

All that being said I think you might be right on this one with Colorado.

Reaction Score
Kansas, a week after their 21-pt win over Baylor, getting stomped by 30+ by Texas.

Is Baylor pulling a Philly Eagle?
Philly Eagle or Miami Dolphin.......both are applicable here. ;)

Reaction Score
Man, Sunday has a packed slate of good games............darn NFL play-offs thinking they can hog the attention of sports fans. Guess it's going to be a three screen set up that day. What a great problem to have. :)

Reaction Score
Philly Eagle or Miami Dolphin.......both are applicable here. ;)
Dolphins didn’t go 10-1 and then utterly collapse with bad losses to 1-6.

Baylor went 14-0 and then a bad loss to 0-2.

Reaction Score
Dolphins didn’t go 10-1 and then utterly collapse with bad losses to 1-6.

Baylor went 14-0 and then a bad loss to 0-2.
They still collapsed if you look at their situation with the AFC division:

• Had a 3.5 game lead on their division when Buffalo was 6-6
  • Coughed up a 14 point lead to Tennessee late in the fourth (this one game would have kept them ahead = bad loss)
  • Lost to Buffalo Week 18 at home, again where they had a lead, losing the division and homefield advantage

Reaction Score
Villanova next 2 games are vs TOP 25 teams on Villanova's court.

vs Marquette today followed by Creighton Sunday.

Could shake up the rankings if Villanova wins either or both games.

Anyone know how these games can be viewed live w/o signing up for a streaming service?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

FYI - TCU is really having a tough go at it this season after a decent start during non-conference play.

Reaction Score
Villanova next 2 games are vs TOP 25 teams on Villanova's court.

vs Marquette today followed by Creighton Sunday.

Could shake up the rankings if Villanova wins either or both games.

Anyone know how these games can be viewed live w/o signing up for a streaming service?

Doesn't look like it. Per HoopFeed's site, tonight's game is on FloHoops. It's updated daily so it's unclear as to whether Saturday's game will be.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Interesting game I was "watching". For the first time, I tried to watch a WBB game on Peacock, Ohio State at Maryland. All was going smoothly in the 3rd quarter until the screen would freeze for a short time, then freeze at a different time in the quarter and again and again. Normally I would think of a buffering issue but the audio remained consistent.
Is this normal on Peacock????

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom