Week 1 games (Nov. 25-29) | Page 20 | The Boneyard

Week 1 games (Nov. 25-29)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Maryland wins 115-96. Not a whole lot of defense in this one apparently. :rolleyes:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Cal lost to CSUB. Bears look like they are ready to defend their last place finish in the Pac 12. Maybe Wazzu will challenge them.

Reaction Score
Wish they would’ve televised the SC & Gonzaga game, besides the FloHoops. Appeared to be the game of the day

Reaction Score
She's a graduate transfer, She is not allowed to transfer.
Yes she is. Since this season doesnt count she has another year of eligibility and since shes a graduate shes free to transfer again and not sit out.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Just about every team in the country will struggle with Gonzaga and South Dakota especially this early in the season. If you haven’t noticed the Mid Majors are playing very well to start this season so I’m not sure what point your trying to make there.

I can guarantee SC will be a very tough team to beat later in the season with all these tough opponents in the schedule. Better to beat tough teams than blowout cupcake opponents...
I'm just watching the SC-USD game now.

I had South Dakota, Mizzou State, and Gonzaga all in my top 20 Boneyard poll. The Summit is on ESPN3, and I'm a mid-majors fan, so I saw probably 10-12 of their games last year. They're really well-coached and don't beat themselves. They gave SC a game last year too.

I'm with you, there are a number of mid-majors that will give P5 teams fits this year.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I'm just watching the SC-USD game now.

I had South Dakota, Mizzou State, and Gonzaga all in my top 20 Boneyard poll. The Summit is on ESPN3, and I'm a mid-majors fan, so I saw probably 10-12 of their games last year. They're really well-coached and don't beat themselves. They gave SC a game last year too.

I'm with you, there are a number of mid-majors that will give P5 teams fits this year.

I’m definitely not a fan of playing mid majors like Gonzaga/South Dakota this early because they’re usually primed for the early season upset. Games like this are usually one of the most publicized games on their schedule right out the gate.

But Dawn schedules tough and her philosophy works because SC is tough to beat by the time conference play comes around. Its also worth noting that Dawn is still playing with the lineup.. she’s sitting some of our biggest contributors for entire halves just to see if other players can or will step up. Plus with Aliyah not dominating as much (Amihere is outplaying her in a way so far), it makes for some scary and tight games.

Boston better wake up though because she’s going against one of the best post players in the country on Thursday.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
If Maryland hangs on for the win, Wake, MOST, Arkansas and Maryland will end up with 2-1 records and a win over a ranked team.
What ranked team did Arkansas beat?

Plebe

Reaction Score
I’m definitely not a fan of playing mid majors like Gonzaga/South Dakota this early because they’re usually primed for the early season upset. Games like this are usually one of the most publicized games on their schedule right out the gate.

But Dawn schedules tough and her philosophy works because SC is tough to beat by the time conference play comes around. Its also worth noting that Dawn is still playing with the lineup.. she’s sitting some of our biggest contributors for entire halves just to see if other players can or will step up. Plus with Aliyah not dominating as much (Amihere is outplaying her in a way so far), it makes for some scary and tight games.
Dawn is to be commended for scheduling as she does. The standards in WCBB are abominably low in terms of elite programs seeking good competition out of conference, and thank goodness for the small handful of coaches that are the exception.

Reaction Score

Boston better wake up though because she’s going against one of the best post players in the country on Thursday.
Yes, NC State will be the toughest test for SC so far but I think SC’s experience with their tough games against South Dakota & Gonzaga will help them prevail in this one. I have SC winning 74-62.

Plebe

Reaction Score
They could certainly be ranked at some point this season though, especially with Bell on the team now.
Who are they going to beat at this point to prove they belong in the top 25? Not seeing anyone on their schedule. Missouri State and Arkansas were their chances and Bell's waiver didn't get approved until just hours after the Arkansas game (what a coincidence).

Reaction Score
Who are they going to beat at this point to prove they belong in the top 25? Not seeing anyone on their schedule. Missouri State and Arkansas were their chances and Bell's waiver didn't get approved until just hours after the Arkansas game (what a coincidence).
Oh yeah I forgot, no quality opponents left.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Oh yeah I forgot, no quality opponents left.
There's always the NCAA tournament, I guess.

Or actually, not always, as we found out the hard way :oops:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Yes, NC State will be the toughest test for SC so far but I think SC’s experience with their tough games against South Dakota & Gonzaga will help them prevail in this one. I have SC winning 74-62.

..and then a top-15 Iowa State squad right after that.

*screams internally*

Reaction Score
While I enjoyed even having the chance to see my gamecocks, flohoops delivered a subpar product. The audio was coming in and out and the video was having buffering issues on the provider's side that were causing the frame to freeze for seconds on end. It made the experience very frustrating. I started screaming at my tv because I would miss plays.

With that said, the game wasn't that interesting. Both teams were sloppy for stretches and it seemed like Dawn had no game plan. She just seemed to use it as an exhibition to see how her players performed. It was basically guards weaving for layups and the rest of the team pounding the glass. There weren't a lot of called plays or chess matches between the coaches going on.

I heard that Sutton had developed a jumper in the off-season and I was excited to see it in action, but she didn't showcase it. I assume this was a strategic choice on the part of Dawn Staley. Amihere, as a freshman, also showcased a jump shot. But neither pulled this out of their bag of tricks. I was really hoping for someone to step up in Kiki's role from last season but there seems too much hesitancy with making long twos. I hope it was a strategic decision but I fear it is a confidence issue.

Plebe

Reaction Score
They received a few votes in one of the polls.
They had a grand total of 3 points in the coaches' poll, which put them in a 3-way tie for 12th place among the teams that didn't make the top 25.

No votes in the AP poll.

Reaction Score
They had a grand total of 3 points in the coaches' poll, which put them in a 3-way tie for 12th place among the teams that didn't make the top 25.

No votes in the AP poll.

You left out the most important poll of them all!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom