Week 1 games (Nov. 25-29) | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Week 1 games (Nov. 25-29)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Just about every team in the country will struggle with Gonzaga and South Dakota especially this early in the season. If you haven’t noticed the Mid Majors are playing very well to start this season so I’m not sure what point your trying to make there.

I can guarantee SC will be a very tough team to beat later in the season with all these tough opponents in the schedule. Better to beat tough teams than blowout cupcake opponents...

It's worth noting this was South Carolina's 3rd game and Gonzaga's 1st. Some teams come right out of the gate ready to go but you have to admit having a game or two under your belt is an advantage.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Is that game being televised? I don't see it listed on the WatchESPN app.
Friendly PSA: I always try to include the TV/streaming info at top of thread :)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Maybe, but who else would you put at #1 to start the season?
Completely agreed. Not every team can be a UConn 1995, or UConn 2002, or UConn 2009-10, or UConn 2014-16, and SC is at least playing decent competition. Stanford and Baylor have only played de facto exhibitions, and UConn hasn't played at all. SC is #1 on my ballot until either someone knocks them off or someone else does some extraordinary winning.

It is a bit of a bellwether, however, that their fans are clearly feeling less confident because they weren't carpeting the threads with their usual boundless exuberance :cool:

Reaction Score
It's worth noting this was South Carolina's 3rd game and Gonzaga's 1st. Some teams come right out of the gate ready to go but you have to admit having a game or two under your belt is an advantage.

Of course it is but regardless if Gonzaga played this season or not they were the fresher team coming into this game while SC played a tough team yesterday. I don’t think SC looks to be the best team to start either with the missed free throws and our bigs sleep walking but Gonzaga and SD are no slouches and SC has another tough game Thursday against NC State.

Reaction Score

I think they just aren’t as deep as last year. Of course they’ll improve as the year goes along, but it is somewhat concerning to see them struggle so mightily against teams they have clear talent and size advantages over. They’ll still probably will run away with the SEC, but I don’t think the SEC is overall going to be very good this year.

Reaction Score
ND is up by 15 at the half. Maybrey has 0 points, 0 shots and 2 fouls.
Brunelle and Gilbert are still out, and ND's freshman all looked good with the minutes they got. I think Mabrey and Prohaska will move to the bench once Gilbert and Brunelle are back.

I also think they should keep Westbeld in the starting lineup once Vaughn is healthy. She cam be used as the true center off the bench. She has dealt with injuries her whole career, so it'll help probably just giving her ~20 minutes a game.

Reaction Score
Miss St launching a lot of 3's early, guess McCray is giving them the green light this year. If M. Taylor continue to hit and be somewhat of a threat from 3, that changes the offense a lot.

Reaction Score
Completely agreed. Not every team can be a UConn 1995, or UConn 2002, or UConn 2009-10, or UConn 2014-16, and SC is at least playing decent competition. Stanford and Baylor have only played de facto exhibitions, and UConn hasn't played at all. SC is #1 on my ballot until either someone knocks them off or someone else does some extraordinary winning.

It is a bit of a bellwether, however, that their fans are clearly feeling less confident because they weren't carpeting the threads with their usual boundless exuberance :cool:

Is the Baylor Arkansas game next weekend? Look forward to that.

Reaction Score
Of course it is but regardless if Gonzaga played this season or not they were the fresher team coming into this game while SC played a tough team yesterday. I don’t think SC looks to be the best team to start either with the missed free throws and our bigs sleep walking but Gonzaga and SD are no slouches and SC has another tough game Thursday against NC State.
I don't think anyone should be heckling about if SC is overrated or not. They have had the toughest schedule to date compared to the other top teams. They are getting tested and they won all of their games. That's more telling than a young team stomping a team that never had a chance.

If anything, I think these games are starting to put to bed that Henderson can't step up as the starting PG. It's clear she doesnt have the team operating at the same level as Harris, but she has stepped up. I dont think that the Super Sophomore has played particularly well. Once they do, South Carolina will be fine.

Reaction Score
Syracuse 50-39 over Stonybrook. Teams combined for 43 fouls and 43 to's. They also combined to shoot 5-42 from 3. Cardoso came off the bench and played only 13 mins (fouls) but had 14 pts and 7 rbs.

Reaction Score
Miss St launching a lot of 3's early, guess McCray is giving them the green light this year. If M. Taylor continue to hit and be somewhat of a threat from 3, that changes the offense a lot.
McCray has said that she wants to run a positionless offense, so it will be totally different from Vic. I was not a fan of his offense, so I'm ready to see something new.

Reaction Score
D. Edwards for Kentucky is a baller. Will be interesting to watch that team once Howard is back.

Reaction Score
McCray has said that she wants to run a positionless offense, so it will be totally different from Vic. I was not a fan of his offense, so I'm ready to see something new.

Vic is a top tier coach and he develops players very well. With that said I didn't care much for his weave offense, dribbling side to side. His offense though at Miss St revolved around McCowan (which makes sense), so I didn't think last year he knew exactly how to utilize all those players in life without her. It was much different personnel from what he had in previous years.

I'm interested in how players develop and how well McCray will recruit.

Reaction Score
Vic is a top tier coach and he develops players very well. With that said I didn't care much for his weave offense, dribbling side to side. His offense though at Miss St revolved around McCowan (which makes sense), so I didn't think last year he knew exactly how to utilize all those players in life without her. It was much different personnel from what he had in previous years.
That's true. With McCowan, it was a different ball game.

Reaction Score
That's true. With McCowan, it was a different ball game.

Mingo Young looking good early, 13 points, 9 rebounds, 5 assists and 2 steals. Madison Hayes will be a nice spark off the bench, great defender and rebounder.

Matharu had an awful game. Was expecting a lot more from her.

Reaction Score
Maryland taking Arkansas to the woodshed early

Brenda's pregame speech must have been inspiring today

2015-02-2b0bfd0c0f36a9270f637e45ece20575.jpg

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone should be heckling about if SC is overrated or not. They have had the toughest schedule to date compared to the other top teams. They are getting tested and they won all of their games. That's more telling than a young team stomping a team that never had a chance.

If anything, I think these games are starting to put to bed that Henderson can't step up as the starting PG. It's clear she doesnt have the team operating at the same level as Harris, but she has stepped up. I dont think that the Super Sophomore has played particularly well. Once they do, South Carolina will be fine.

With another tough game Thursday against NC State. I like what the guards have done so far but the bigs are sleep walking. They will need a big game from them this week for sure!

Reaction Score
Maryland taking Arkansas to the woodshed early

Brenda's pregame speech must have been inspiring today

2015-02-2b0bfd0c0f36a9270f637e45ece20575.jpg
Yep but can they sustain it in the 2nd half today is the real question! Also Slocum is a non-factor with no pts & 2 fouls.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom