Wednesday. 1st Round of Big East Tournament | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Wednesday. 1st Round of Big East Tournament

Reaction Score
Ed Cooley has done a remarkably poor job with this team. They have top 25 talent. So PC loses both Duke and Watson. They’re going to be horrible next year.
Did Duke say he was leaving? Isn’t he only a junior?

Reaction Score
Did Cooley just walk out before the game was over?
For all the comments that have been posted about what a class act and good guy he is, it's pretty poor to not congratulate the winning coach.
Maybe he just couldn't stomach looking at his own players any longer.

Reaction Score
When was the last time a BET had zero quarterfinal matches featuring two NCAAT teams?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Did Duke say he was leaving? Isn’t he only a junior?
He’s projected to be a 1st round pick. He’s definitely out of there.

Reaction Score
Ed Cooley has done a remarkably poor job with this team. They have top 25 talent. So PC loses both Duke and Watson. They’re going to be horrible next year.
I think the problem is that people overrate the talent. Watson is good. But everyone else?

The real problem is no PG. Bynum was mediocre and then got hurt and wasn't good when he came back. Freshman Breed is okay on D but can't run a team. Equals nobody to get Watson the ball.

Duke was forced to play PG, and that's definitely not his position. He's strong but he's not a good 1v1 player or finisher or playmaker for others.

Reeves is a shooter who can't shoot. Horchler is okay, but got exposed on perimeter switches on D this game. Nobody on their bench can even get you 5 points.

Reaction Score
Where? I thought he was projected as a late 2nd rounder?
Vecenie said recently that Duke is a polarizing prospect. Has heard late 1st from a couple teams but the vast majority have him late 2nd to undrafted.

Reaction Score
The PC board must be fun tonight.

Pretty confident we can handle DePaul tomorrow. At least we should barring a total crapshow.
Wait, PC has a board?? I never would have guessed given how much time their fans seem to spend on ours.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think people are overreacting to a handful of games tonight. Xavier is not in the dance in part because they only played 20 games. If they were 17-7 right now, they would likely be a 9 seed. Steele does strike me as the kind of coach that will keep being unlucky.

PC had a down year.

Woj needs to go.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Rob Stone who is handling the studio with Lavin and Donny Marshall has been giving us love along the way. He mentioned he grew up in Simsbury.
He was a grade behind me in simsbury high.

Reaction Score
I think people are overreacting to a handful of games tonight. Xavier is not in the dance in part because they only played 20 games. If they were 17-7 right now, they would likely be a 9 seed. Steele does strike me as the kind of coach that will keep being unlucky.

PC had a down year.

Woj needs to go.
But what if they were 13-11???

Reaction Score

PC had a down year.

Woj needs to go.
Sounds like you're talking about yourself, you said both Woj and Steele need to be fired.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Sounds like you're talking about yourself, you said both Woj and Steele need to be fired.

I don't think it is the end of times for PC, for example.

Steele is one of those situations where they can wait for the coach to run the program into the ground, which Steele will, or they can make a move now. Xavier is not a terrible team, but Steele is not a winner and therefore Xavier will not be a winner under Steele.

I think I am going against the grain on Woj. Everyone here loves him because of recruiting rankings. He has had great recruiting rankings since he got to Marquette. 2 NCAA Tournament appearances.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
@7774 On the BE tournament, Hurley was quoted today: “With recruits, we always stress, and it’s 100 percent true, that it’s the best conference tournament in the country. The excitement, the venue, the energy in the building, the BE tournament is the best and I don’t think it’s debatable...Its a big recruiting tool...”

I will never let you live this down. It’s just too funny. Enjoy the game tonight!

Reaction Score

PC had a down year.

Woj needs to go.
Xavier is not in the dance because they lost 7of their last 10 and 3 straight to the bottom dwellers in the league. They don’t pass the eye test. And they aren’t 17-7 and if they played their full league season, I’m not sure they get close. They missed a game with UConn and didn’t play Villanova at all. And they only played Seton Hall once and lost. So they could just as easily been 13-12 as 17-7. I didn’t think Xavier was a tournament team back in early February and never got why all the bracket guys gave them so much love and had them in Even while they were self-destructing. Wasn’t at all surprised they lost to Butler, only that it was that close. But I suppose when you are in the legacy league you get the benefit of the doubt until there is no question.

Reaction Score
@7774 On the BE tournament, Hurley was quoted today: “With recruits, we always stress, and it’s 100 percent true, that it’s the best conference tournament in the country. The excitement, the venue, the energy in the building, the BE tournament is the best and I don’t think it’s debatable...Its a big recruiting tool...”

I will never let you live this down. It’s just too funny. Enjoy the game tonight!
Live what down? As always, you're a brutal embarrassment to critical thought.

Never said it wasn't a recruiting tool. It's just not going to move the needle as much as a bunch of other things when it comes to recruiting, like relationships with the coach and assistants, historical prestige of the program, playing time, ability to get you to the league, etc.

I've said this many, many times, but unfortunately your mental level does not allow you to grasp it, so here we are.

Remember yesterday when you said you'd turn down a Player of the Year award if it were a 3 way tie? That's your level of brain function, try to keep that in mind when you type words on the internet.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Live what down? As always, you're a brutal embarrassment to critical thought.

Never said it wasn't a recruiting tool. It's just not going to move the needle as much as a bunch of other things when it comes to recruiting, like relationships with the coach and assistants, historical prestige of the program, playing time, ability to get you to the league, etc.

I've said this many, many times, but unfortunately your mental level does not allow you to grasp it, so here we are.

Remember yesterday when you said you'd turn down a Player of the Year award if it were a 3 way tie? That's your level of brain function, try to keep that in mind when you type words on the internet.
Thank you and thank you. Remember - you’re mad, and I’m laughing at you. You put conference below other menial (and sometimes related-to-the-conference) factors in recruiting. You basically said we could recruit BE guys in the AAC. Unfathomable.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree with Nelson on Wojo. He can recruit but I don’t think he can coach. I like Cooley but I think he is a mid-major coach. I do agree, though that Providence is not a great place To succeed. The days of the basketball coach changing players grades (family member taught there for years, Mullaney, Gavitt Pitino would go over her head regularly to make sure no-show players got passing grades. She would turn in grades with F and get the final report back showing Bs and Cs. UNC before UNC did it) to keep them eligible are gone. Plus they don’t have resources to be a power program.

Reaction Score
Thank you and thank you. Remember - you’re mad, and I’m laughing at you. You put conference below other menial (and sometimes related-to-the-conference) factors in recruiting. You basically said we could recruit BE guys in the AAC. Unfathomable.
Yes, how weird of me to think that. I mean, Hurley got Bouknight, Akok, Cole, and Gaffney to play in the AAC when we were basically at our rock bottom as a program, but once he massviely improved everything and developed a lottery pick, he would never be able to get any good recruits again. That's your "logic".

But seriously, we really need to get this Player of the Year thing figured out. I mean, what if every coach voted for a different player and we had 11 Players of the Year?

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Yes, how weird of me to think that. I mean, Hurley got Bouknight, Akok, Cole, and Gaffney to play in the AAC when we were basically at our rock bottom as a program, but once he massviely improved everything and developed a lottery pick, he would never be able to get any good recruits again. That's your "logic".

But seriously, we really need to get this Player of the Year thing figured out. I mean, what if every coach voted for a different player and we had 11 Players of the Year?
Technically, there could have been a 5-way tie for POY. You would have loved that I guess.

Reaction Score
Technically, there could have been a 5-way tie for POY. You would have loved that I guess.
My favorite yesterday was when you said if every coach voted for someone different there would be 9 Players of the Year. Just incredible math skills.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
My favorite yesterday was when you said if every coach voted for someone different there would be 9 Players of the Year. Just incredible math skills.
I know. That was a good one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom