Weaknesses | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Weaknesses

Reaction Score
My own view is that depth at PG is a weakness if either Cole or Gaffney is out due to a turned ankle or covid protocol, because I don't see a 3rd guy ready to run the team and handle backcourt pressure, (although I think Jackson will eventually, and Adams did play there in a couple spots).

Most of the things @husky429 mentions, I think are concerns to address rather than actual weaknesses another team can exploit. We are unproven in certain ways. For example, its doubtful and unproven that we can put a 90% free throw shooter on the line at the end of games to replace Vital, but that doesn't mean it's a weakness. Moreover, I think we have an important strength. We can play so many ways, Hurley should always be able to create and exploit a mismatch.

Even if our 3 point shooting is the same as last year, I think we can come up with more 3 point rebounds to get second chances, and that slightly more second chances will make up for a deficiency in percentage. I also think Jackson will shoot as good from 3 as Bouknight last year, but not in volume. He shot well from 3 every time I saw him or watched a tape.

Creighton and Nova shoot 3's to win. Guarding the 3 point line will be a key, so it is very important but I don't think it's a weakness. It's just something we need to do.

If a big like Carlton truly can't effectively hedge and recover, I don't see that as a team weakness because there are other ways to play defense. It's a coaching weakness if you're making players do things they can't do well, and you've decided to play that way anyway. Whaley is great at it, and I think Carlton and Sanogo will be serviceable, or its up to Hurley to adjust the scheme when it is a disadvantage.

I understand the point about lack of the optimum summer to improve the guys, but in the spirit of the question, it can't be a weakness vs our competitors because we had our guys on campus 6-8 weeks before any other big east team according to Borges interview, and you can see the condition the guys are in. No other Big East team was on campus before mid august. Their development can't be ahead of ours.

Not really picking at the points made because they are all things that we have to do, are unproven, etc
I just distinguish concerns from actual weaknesses that we have proven we can't do.

As an extra plus: I think Jackson will totally disrupt passing lanes and get his hands on everything.

Reaction Score
interview tips.jpg

Reaction Score
Regarding defensive liabilities, one plus this season is across the board length. For example, Bouknight may have been a negative man to man defender but his length created steals, disruptions and rebounds which led to easy baskets. Almost everyone they throw out on the floor has length with the exception of Cole and if the energy and effort is there, they will be very tough on the defensive end.

Agree on Bouk big time BH. He was very bad early on as he was always taking chances off the ball and getting burnt. While he is that kind of defender, would compare him to a longer Vital, he was noticeably better years end, smarter in his chances as well so fully expect he has potential to swing to a positive defender also. Good post!

Reaction Score
We lost a lot of close games last year and I don't think its just bad luck. We need a point guard that can see and exploit opportunities as they develop during crunch time, and close out. We may have one, but it is an unknown at this point.

Lots of teams will have talent, the ones that win will be the ones with a point guard that knows how to use it.

Reaction Score
We lost a lot of close games last year and I don't think its just bad luck. We need a point guard that can see and exploit opportunities as they develop during crunch time, and close out. We may have one, but it is an unknown at this point.

Lots of teams will have talent, the ones that win will be the ones with a point guard that knows how to use it.
I'd argue we already know we have that guy. We lost a ton of close games early, inserted Gaffney at PG and then closed out close games late in the season

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Shooting.

The team is crazy athletic at just about every position and the guards/wings will get to the hoop with ease. If they cannot have somebody spot up and consistently knock down the 3 off the dribble drive there will be some tough nights.
I'll say this a different way. If we can find consistent three point shooting we are an very, very tough match up. I like our speed though. We have a number of players that can beat people off the dribble and a number of guys who can score of drive and dish opportunities. We don't need to be a great 3 team. Just good enough to keep people from sagging off and clogging the lane.

Reaction Score

Part of a PG's skill set is to throw catchable passes.. And taking into account how good the recipient's hands are of the pass they're about to throw.. Things happen quickly on the court but good PGs have that as part of their DNA.. PGs know who has good hands and who doesn't when on the court.. Passer and receiver synergy..

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Our most talented guys are underclassmen and our upperclassmen aren’t our most talented players and haven’t played at a conference of this level before. So all the consequences that come with those 2 things.

On the other hand, we are extremely balanced, deep, athletic, physical and well coached. This is a team that will look different in March compared to December.

Reaction Score
One of the weaknesses from the last several years was being forced into a half court game because they didn't have wings who could consistently finish fast breaks and the point guards were either forced to be conservative or turned the ball over when they had numbers. That changed dramatically with Bouk and now with Jackson and Martin, the equation is completely different and 4 to 6 more "easy" points could very well be the difference in tight games.

Reaction Score
Chemistry. Most of the players have not played together. I think it's going to take a while for roles to develop and players to get comfortable in those roles. But there is enough talent and the coach has experience so that this will be taken care of over time.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I've mentioned before but my biggest question/concern is do we have a late game 'finisher' when free throws need to be made? So the lack of 'that guy' may be a weakness.

Vital used to be the guy who we could count on to go 10 for 10 from the stripe in the last 30 seconds, but I don't think we really have anyone who has been relied on that heavily in crunch time. My guess is it'll be Bouk or Cole but this will be something that we'll find out in time.

Reaction Score
Not enough antibodies
When you really think about it, the team should all get the 'rona and quarantine together to get through it. That way at least they're likely immune for a few months of the season...

Reaction Score
I've mentioned before but my biggest question/concern is do we have a late game 'finisher' when free throws need to be made? So the lack of 'that guy' may be a weakness.

Vital used to be the guy who we could count on to go 10 for 10 from the stripe in the last 30 seconds, but I don't think we really have anyone who has been relied on that heavily in crunch time. My guess is it'll be Bouk or Cole but this will be something that we'll find out in time.
Steve Nash drill..2014 NC team

Reaction Score
Brown and and Sanogo are not particularly fleet of foot themselves. Sanogo hedged a lot in HS and didn't look like anything special. Young bigs always take a long time to develop good defense so I am not expecting much from Sanogo anyways on that end. I think we end up relying on Whaley A LOT unless Carlton has developed a better PnR IQ.

The contrast between Whaley and what we've seen and/or know about the others in this area is so stark, Whaley's screen blitzing might be the most elite single skill on the whole team. Obviously I didn't watch every team play, but it's hard to imagine any player in the country did it better last year. Opposing coaches will adjust to it this year after seeing him do it on tape last year, but he's so, so good at that. And Carlton was so, so bad at even standard hedging.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Shooting, perimeter defense. Hurleys ability to recognize when it is time to turn to the young guys before we are in a hole.

Reaction Score
I think this is a very simple answer. Our weakness is our best player is an extremely talented and hard working yet unproven sophomore. We have no other potential leaders if he doesn't live up to the billing which he will but it's still our weakness. That and having too many guys out to prove themselves can create descension. Not a prediction of outcome but if we don't reach out potential, outside of injury, this is why.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hurleys ability to recognize when it is time to turn to the young guys before we are in a hole.
Nah, that's not a weakness at all. Things are different now.

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score

Gaffney was very clutch from the line in a number of games late last year...not Vital level obviously, but he seems to have the composure to hit those late game FTs. I also imagine Cole is a pretty trustworthy guy from the stripe; didn’t look up his % from Howard, but his experience as THE offense on his old team makes me think he’s a PG who will thrive under pressure situations.

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
This is very true. I think we’ll quickly gain new respect for Gilbert and Vital’s defense

I already miss Gilbert’s defense. You could just feel the constant frustration of whoever was being defended by AG. He was relentless and I loved it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom