We will be ready for next season | The Boneyard

We will be ready for next season

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
All this talk about SC's height and how much better they are because of their height and how UConn needs more big bodies to combat SC. Well there arent enough big bodies out there. We have who we have and we are who we are. For the past 25+ years UConn has played their game and done very well, well enough to be called a dynasty. A injurey plagued team all season beat some really good teams to get to the final game and lost. I remember fans saying how tuff our road was in the NCAAs and we beat them all to get to the final game. I get the feeling reading posts that some fans think we need to change our game plan which has worked for the past 25+ years and be much like SC focused on bigs. Well Stanford had alot of bigs and our injury plagued team beat them. Some say Stanford had a bad game and that may be however UConn was injury ridden all season and in the NCAA's even more so but they found a way to get to the final game. What UConn did this season was a great accomplishment considering what they went through.

Hey SC is a great team and we will never know how a healthy UConn wouldve done against them. In the last 3 seasons SC has won one NC. I think the next few seasons UConn will be fine. We have height and we have great guard play. We will be fine. BB is a team game and its not so much that we have to stop any one player we have to execute a game plan to stop SC. Henderson killed us in the NC game because she was open more then our defense shouldve allowed her.

Next season a fresh heathly UConn team will need their freshman to be developed and I think they will get enough playtime so they are ready for March. We also need to get healthy. Our roster for the next couple of years is really good and if Ice and Patterson can make some kind of impact by March we will be the team to beat. For those fans who have been talking about having bigs well Dorka Amari Edwards Ice and Patterson along with a healthy Caroline will be a force against any team

No excuses the fact was we were not at 100% if you will and if we had been perhaps we wouldve faired better in the final game. UConn doesnt need to change their game plan they need to adjust and with the players they have coming in Ice and Patterson and the roster we have, well just give them some time to adjust to the college game and I think UConn will be great. We will need to get healthy too and we will be very difficult to beat.

Reaction Score
I suggest that we are working with a short roster at this point.
Nine returners from last years team.
Three coming off significant injuries-Dorka,Aubrey and Caroline.
One in the transfer portal.
Two incoming freshman.
One incoming transfer.
That’s 12 players best case.
Piath-stay or go? Go? Down to 11.
Aubrey- back surgery- maybe?
Caroline-hip surgery- they say yes.-probably?
Dorka- they say yes-probably?
I think we’re a player or two short.
Reality is that we’re a turned ankle, pulled groin or a concussion protocol from being in trouble again.
Need insurance.
JMHO

Reaction Score
Sound thoughts as usual, Tony. However, there really is no need to rehash the previous season and the last game. You are correct, health, has a lot to do with success in a physically demanding sport. A lot of "what ifs" can be speculated. The bottom line is this: SCarolina won and they won with both the strategy and personnel with which they played all season long. Hopefully, with new personnel and the existing personnel Geno will present a very competitive team as usual for the next season.

Reaction Score
I agree we’ll be fine with who we have if they’re healthy. We were contenders this year and we’ll be contenders next year too. If the injury bug doesn’t bite I expect we’ll even be the team to beat. I don’t see a need to worry. The adventure is about to begin!

Reaction Score
All this talk about SC's height and how much better they are because of their height and how UConn needs more big bodies to combat SC. . . .

Hey SC is a great team and we will never know how a healthy UConn wouldve done against them. In the last 3 seasons SC has won one NC. I think the next few seasons UConn will be fine. We have height and we have great guard play. We will be fine. BB is a team game and its not so much that we have to stop any one player we have to execute a game plan to stop SC. Henderson killed us in the NC game because she was open more then our defense shouldve allowed her.
In the past three seasons; SC has won more games than any other school and :

(1) Went 32-1 against the #1 schedule including a home court victory over UConn, but (like everyone else) was unable to compete for a championship due to covid.
(2) Lost by one point in the final four to the eventual champion. (Also lost by one to UConn on the road in overtime)
(3) Won a championship (Beat UConn twice)

Which is not to detract from your points about UConn, but "one NC" in last three easons does not tell the whole story since there were only two championships possible.

Yes, "UConn will be fine."

Cheer on TonyC. Party on Garth!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
injuries are becoming the norm in basketball. Let's look at the Nba and how big injuries decided finals
2017-Kawhi tears his acl spurs had 19 pt lead on Gs, warriors never looked back
2018- Cp3 up 3-2 vs GSW gets hurt they lose the last two games
2019- Kevin Durant and Klay get hurt raptors win finals
2020- Heat lose 2 players in the finals
2021- too many injuries to keep track

I know people want to say what if player and player was healthy, but if this is happening in the pro's, it's going to happen in wbb especially with how grueling Uconn practices are. People say depth is overrated, depth is valuable if the depth players can come in and produce. Has Uconn's depth produced in the past few seasons? My guess is they have not to the point they should have.

Reaction Score
I’m not buying that we were likely to beat SC if not for the injuries but the reality is we had a shot. We put ourselves in a position to win and to a large degree that should be the goal of the program. The playing field has leveled with substantially increased parity. A lot of teams could have won it all but SC clearly stood out.

So what do we do in this situation? I say we put ourselves into the FF again and roll the dice. This time with a plan to win which at least at this time looks to involve stronger rebounding ( cue Ayanna and Ice here) and extremely good offense featuring league best 3 point shooting.

Reaction Score
injuries are becoming the norm in basketball. Let's look at the Nba and how big injuries decided finals
2020- Heat lose 2 players in the finals 2021- too many injuries to keep track
I know people want to say what if player and player was healthy, but if this is happening in the pro's, it's going to happen in wbb especially with how grueling Uconn practices are. People say depth is overrated, depth is valuable if the depth players can come in and produce. Has Uconn's depth produced in the past few seasons? My guess is they have not to the point they should have.
Yet when these NBA teams lose their stars and wind up losing, it's reported as "a major factor" that due to injury they would inevitably lose. Yet when UCONN loses its stars and then the game, it's cited as "an excuse" by some. There's your clear difference. To some, anytime UCONN loses they just want to cover their ears.

And my guess, is that over the past 30 years, no basketball team men's or women's has sustained the success that UCONN women have. That’s a tribute to how well they manage their bench.

And to add to that, my guess is that not one basketball team pro or college, women or men, have had the same % number of injuries per minute with their stars as UCONN had this year, and gone on to win a championship (maybe Magic Johnson when Kareen was out depending on who else was hurt.). Considering Paige not 100%, Azzi played sparingly in title game, Liv apparently hurt (only played 23 minutes), Evina hurt during the game (only played 19 minutes while being one of the heroes in the game before vs the bigger Stanford), and no Dorka (the highly-valued big off the bench), I think "The NBA Fan" and fans in general would understand injuries were a big factor (not saying they were better but just saying they were a factor.). But I think some UCONN fans are just in denial that injuries can affect outcome for every team including UCONN (the most successful team in basketball over the past 30 years). Those are human beings that play for UCONN. It's not a Fantasy Basketball game in which the computer automatically spots UCONN many points because of their name.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

(1) Went 32-1 against the #1 schedule including a home court victory over UConn, but (like everyone else) was unable to compete for a championship due to covid.
(2) Lost by one point in the final four to the eventual champion. (Also lost by one to UConn on the road in overtime)

Which is not to detract from your points about UConn, but "one NC" in last three easons does not tell the whole story since there were only two championships possible.

I hear they will be turning off the lights at the Gamecock Lounge when Boston leaves.

Reaction Score
I’m sure SC will still be great even after Boston leaves. They should be congratulated for helping her become one of the greatest players in women’s college basketball history and yeah, I mean it. She is our generational player.

Reaction Score
I hear they will be turning off the lights at the Gamecock Lounge when Boston leaves.
Yup. I wouldn’t be surprised if we fall all the way to 3rd in the way-too-early polls this time next year. Gamecock lounge is gonna be too depressed to open next year with only Cardosa, Amihere, Feagin, and Watkins (and whoever we add in the 23 class) in the front court for 2023.

0h woe.

Reaction Score
I’m sure SC will still be great even after Boston leaves. They should be congratulated for helping her become one of the greatest players in women’s college basketball history and yeah, I mean it. She is our generational player.
“Generational player” gives new meaning to the root noun “generation.”

Reaction Score
From the dictionary:

"all of the people born and living at about the same time, regarded collectively".

To some that means a peer group of 20 years apparently but "all the people born and living at about the same time" could also mean people born at about the same time couldn't it? Any peer group from about the same time. This should be particularly true in a school grouping, when age is a factor. The subset of 18-22 year olds. I don't know why this is so controversial. Boston is CLEARLY the best player from her peer group in the 4 years or so she goes to college. She might even be better than those graduating just before her and just after her. It is not inaccurate at all to call her a generational player. People can be polemical about it and find fault with it but it is not by definition an inaccurate description. I don't know why that is such a topic of discussion. Should we disparage her achievement level for no reason? Even subtly? Or tangentially? I don't think we should. Congratulations Ms Boston for being the best player in college during your tenure there.

Reaction Score
I mean SC only has the best recruiting classes of any school in the next couple of seasons, guess we shouldn't say what happens to Uconn when Paige leaves? Doomed? Only 2 seasons to find out,(maybe one)

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I suggest that we are working with a short roster at this point.
Nine returners from last years team.
Three coming off significant injuries-Dorka,Aubrey and Caroline.
I suggest Paige is still coming off of a significant injury. The body should be healed completely by November but the mind ...?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Wait, you guys beat us twice last year? Wow, I didn’t realize that thanks for stopping by to share…
:rolleyes:;)

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
All this talk about SC's height and how much better they are because of their height and how UConn needs more big bodies to combat SC.
I agree with your thoughts.

Why do people believe UCONN needs big bodies? Brink is not a big body; she is a strong aggressive player with many moves both offensively and defensively. Is Morrow a big body? Certainly a strong body but not a tall body. Like Brink she has a variety of offensive and defensive moves which she aggressively employees. She is akin to Tuck only shorter. Was NaLyssa Smith a banger? She has a solid body but again relies on aggressiveness and many moves. Stewie was not banger but very aggressive with great offensive and defensive moves. She made her body stronger. Boxing out is the most important aspect of rebounding. Particularly when applied aggressively. I believe Dorka and Edwards are aggressive. Dorka has good moves which need refined. Edwards needs to improve her array of offensive moves. Perhaps watching Liv's one move offense was detrimental. Amari? Who knows we never saw much of her. The frosh can't be expected to deliver much since as we all know it takes Bigs longer to learn their craft. Although Tina, despite Geno's haranguing, delivered quite well as a frosh but Geno had no choice but to play her and last year had the luxury of ignoring Amari because of poor practice habits. Which if they continue will not bode well for her future development.

Reaction Score

Look at the WNBA, 2018 Stewie healthy Seattle wins 2019 Stewie misses the Season. 2020 Stewie healthy Seattle wins.
In 2021 Stewie injured misses last 3 games and playoffs Seattle lost play In game.

Reaction Score
I believe Dorka and Edwards are aggressive. Dorka has good moves which need refined. Edwards needs to improve her array of offensive moves.
I agree about the moves. One move any of these women would do well to develop is a jump hook. Marquette’s Lauren Van Kleunen had a great hook and was able to score against larger defenders regularly with it.

Reaction Score
And my guess, is that over the past 30 years, no basketball team men's or women's has sustained the success that UCONN women have. That’s a tribute to how well they manage their bench.
You might think so, but actually I teach at Carleton University in Ottawa, and our Men's basketball team is a contender—we've won 16 of the last 19 national championships! Obviously it's a smaller field of competitors and all that, but still a pretty remarkable record. Carleton Ravens men's basketball - Wikipedia

Reaction Score

Not sure how UConn’s “grueling practices” have anything to do with it except that they may be less vulnerable to injury because they are in better shape than other teams. “Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar”. I think it’s far more likely that it was simply our turn in the barrel and preexisting conditions on several of our players.

Reaction Score
Yup. I wouldn’t be surprised if we fall all the way to 3rd in the way-too-early polls this time next year. Gamecock lounge is gonna be too depressed to open next year with only Cardosa, Amihere, Feagin, and Watkins (and whoever we add in the 23 class) in the front court for 2023.

0h woe.

I'm fine with you guys third. Or even second. Competition is good. :)

Reaction Score
Not sure how UConn’s “grueling practices” have anything to do with it except that they may be less vulnerable to injury because they are in better shape than other teams. “Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar”. I think it’s far more likely that it was simply our turn in the barrel and preexisting conditions on several of our players.
wear and tear, I can attest in hockey Tortarella I am glad that coach is out of the league. His practices ruined players careers. Better shape maybe so, but in free agency many players left him they didn't want to have shorter careers.

Reaction Score
wear and tear, I can attest in hockey Tortarella I am glad that coach is out of the league. His practices ruined players careers. Better shape maybe so, but in free agency many players left him they didn't want to have shorter careers.
I think Geno understands how to push supreme athletes 1,000% more than you. No offense. but you're out of your league if you are criticizing his practices. It's almost as if you are implying that you know more than him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom