We Should Be #1 on Monday | Page 3 | The Boneyard

We Should Be #1 on Monday

Reaction Score
Kansas was 3 and lost. They are not moving up. Thats stupid.
Kansas had a top ten win and has the head to head against us. That is the argument for them at #1. I’m not saying I agree, but that is the argument.

Reaction Score
We actually dropped four spots in KenPom after this win due to G'town's poor ranking, so I'm not expecting much of a move. Despite losing twice, Houston is still #1 by a mile. It's like their losses are somehow more impressive than our wins.

This isn't something UConn can really control. I think once we lost to Kansas, we were basically shut out from ever being #1 this year. We needed to have that specific win on our resume to overcome all the extreme bottom feeders on our schedule (nonconference cupcakes plus DePaul). I think enough voters look at those types of rankings to keep us from being bumped up, unless we literally go undefeated for a month and those other teams lose three games each.
If this was the case then Kansas wouldn't be ahead of us with their poor advanced metrics

Reaction Score
Kansas had a top ten win and has the head to head against us. That is the argument for them at #1. I’m not saying I agree, but that is the argument.
I think what is lost in this conversation and I’ve seen other sports writers do the same today is that this isn’t the time for an ”end of the season recalibration“ where things like this might make sense - lose to unranked and stay #1 - i.e. conference tourney.

Folks we are in mid-season and losing to an unranked team will cost you the #1 ranking.
And if you lose you don’t get elevated to the #1 team in the country.

That’s the way it’s been and should be come Monday.

Reaction Score
All of these are true:

• (For the old curmudgeons who need the validation,) yes, the #1 ranking is not our goal for the season, we're not printing t-shirts, we want to be #1 in April, blah blah blah
  • the #1 ranking does matter for buzz/hype/media/relevance and for cementing the narrative that UConn is back, which impacts recruiting
  • no, being denied the #1 ranking is not "good" for our program's reputation, mentality, whatever, please get out of the plucky underdog mindset
  • if we are denied the #1 ranking, I absolutely expect it to fuel Hurley and the team through the "disrespect" angle, which we've seen plenty of already from officials and others, which is a valid silver lining
  • there are valid arguments for why we are not currently the best team in the country, don't have the best resume, wouldn't get the #1 overall seed, etc.
  • however, those arguments are almost never invoked mid-season when conducting AP rankings, and in this case would only be used by those members of the media who expressly want to deny UConn the #1 ranking

Reaction Score
A win at home when you are favored doesn’t offset a loss to Central Florida. You don’t move up in that scenario.

Reaction Score
A win at home when you are favored doesn’t offset a loss to Central Florida. You don’t move up in that scenario.
I will almost guarantee they will get quite a few first place votes at a minimum. Again, not saying it’s right, but it’s Kansas.

Reaction Score
I read an article earlier this week by one of the AP voters who gave his rationale regarding why he won't rank UConn #1.

Basically it comes down to Purdue having lots more Quad 1 wins and wins over top 25 teams AND our OOC schedule being so soft with so many really weak teams.

I don't see how the bottom teams should affect us so much when you look at how weak Houston's overall schedule is and how highly they've been ranked, but my overall take is SO WHAT!

The only benefit is national hype for the casual fans and maybe some recruits, while last year's tournament results showed the value of rankings.
I believe that was Gary Parrish…..Hurley subtly called him out in the presser

Reaction Score
It should when you’re playing without a player like Clingan

Reaction Score
I agree, but I think that's only telling half the story. In a week where so many other top teams lose, keeping the same number of points might be enough to move up to #1. Purdue is at 1566, Kansas is at 1481, UConn at 1335. I can definitely see a scenario where Kansas ends up at #1 with somewhere around 1450-1480 points and us/Purdue are a close #2/3

Reaction Score
It's a really big deal for any team that hasn't been there before. For a team defending its fifth national championship, the goal is nothing less than the FF, and being in the position to win #6.
Temery, you nailed it. Expectations, coupled with past performance, influence our perception of the importance of mid-season rankings.

I am a UConn hockey season ticketholder. I care greatly about being ranked in the top ten (we aren’t), as it might ultimately get us an NCAA tourney bid, which would be a first. In basketball, because of our past success, my expectation is the Final Four.

High mid-season polling is much more important to me in hockey than in basketball, for the simple reason that in one sport we haven’t been there before.

Reaction Score
Houston lost twice. As I said in another thread I think we will come out #3. Purdue and Kansas will be ahead of us
Purdue will be 1 for sure, there ooc wins are simply better. Kansas probably 2 and UConn 3. We will move up if we beat the good big east teams. 2 wins this week gets it done

Reaction Score
Temery, you nailed it. Expectations, coupled with past performance, influence our perception of the importance of mid-season rankings.

I am a UConn hockey season ticketholder. I care greatly about being ranked in the top ten (we aren’t), as it might ultimately get us an NCAA tourney bid, which would be a first. In basketball, because of our past success, my expectation is the Final Four.

High mid-season polling is much more important to me in hockey than in basketball, for the simple reason that in one sport we haven’t been there before.
Which makes sense as a fan. But these players and coaches haven't been there before, and they absolutely deserve that satisfaction and feeling of accomplishment

Reaction Score
Purdue will be 1 for sure, there ooc wins are simply better. Kansas probably 2 and UConn 3. We will move up if we beat the good big east teams. 2 wins this week gets it done
The AP poll is a power ranking not a seeding metric. You lose you drop. Thats how it’s always operated. Who gives a damn about a resume when you get blown out by UCF and lose by 15 to Nebraska. Give us our respect

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Anyone talking about "well we have to look at the overall resume" is looking for a reason to deny us.

This is the AP poll, not discussing the merits of the #1 overall seed.

If you lose, you should drop. Period.
Except we lost last week and didn’t drop. Doesn’t work that way. UConn, Purdue and KU have 2 losses. Rank them based on who they beat and who they lost to.

Reaction Score
For the gazillionth time I can’t see why people are so obsessed by this but whatever. It’s Jan 15th……we aren’t into t-shirts around here last I checked.

Get healthy fast Donovan……painfully obvious these last couple games how much we need you.
For the gazillionth time I can't see why people are obsessed with the idea that this isn't a big deal. It doesn't mean anything in the long run but its an awesome accomplishment for the kids, and fun for fans. It doesn't have to be more than that.

Being ranked #1 in the country would be awesome. Can this meme of "I'd rather be #1 in april" die already.

I'm very curious to hear from everyone who thinks being ranked #1 is not a big deal...did any of you play sports growing up, and were any of you on a top ranked team? My high school baseball team got ranked #15 in the state, and we were a program that won multiple state titles. I can't even begin to describe the elation we had in the locker room. Being ranked #1 in the country will always be a big deal for the kids no matter what.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Except we lost last week and didn’t drop. Doesn’t work that way. UConn, Purdue and KU have 2 losses. Rank them based on who they beat and who they lost to.
Yea no.

We went undefeated and didn’t move up.

Reaction Score
For the gazillionth time I can't see why people are obsessed with the idea that this isn't a big deal. It doesn't mean anything in the long run but its an awesome accomplishment for the kids, and fun for fans. It doesn't have to be more than that.

Being ranked #1 in the country would be awesome. Can this meme of "I'd rather be #1 in april" die already.

I'm very curious to hear from everyone who thinks being ranked #1 is not a big deal...did any of you play sports growing up, and were any of you on a top ranked team? My high school baseball team got ranked #15 in the state, and we were a program that won multiple state titles. I can't even begin to describe the elation we had in the locker room. Being ranked #1 in the country will always be a big deal for the kids no matter what.
“I’d rather be #1 in April” is so tired. There’s no guarantee that we accomplish that very difficult and unlikely goal. These cool accomplishments throughout the season are what makes the process fun.

Reaction Score
Purdue lost Northwestern and Nebraska. UConn beating UNC by 15+ is better than any win they have, not sure how you can make the case.

Reaction Score
Well Donny Marshall said "Purdue shouldn't be penalized and drop from #1 because Nebraska has a new team" or something weird like that. I get that he tries to be unbiased but he lays it on too thick at times.
They got absolutely whooped by Nebraska. The sort of loss that, if you imagine teams 2-10 won, would drop them to 4 or 5. But...they won't drop that far because everyone else lost. It should be something like 1. UConn, 2. Purdue, 3. UNC.

Reaction Score
Purdue lost Northwestern and Nebraska. UConn beating UNC by 15+ is better than any win they have, not sure how you can make the case.
Purdue has better wins than we do. But worse losses.

It should mean nothing in a weekly AP poll.

Those same voters making this argument probably have UNC ahead of us and Mich st in the top 25. It’s inconsistent.

It’s a lack of respect.

If we were Duke, UNC, or Kansas this wouldn’t even be a discussion. It’s be a foregone conclusion

Reaction Score
“I’d rather be #1 in April” is so tired. There’s no guarantee that we accomplish that very difficult and unlikely goal. These cool accomplishments throughout the season are what makes the process fun.
I’m convinced it’s the same folks that get in a huff every time a group of 18-22year olds storms a court.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom