We only asked once... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We only asked once...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
From Syracuse point of view, they are getting their heads beaten up regularly in the ACC. Why get taken to the shed again by UConn. Their fan base is bad to begin with so I can imagine they dont want our fans to outnumber their fans 5 x 1 in the carrierdome.
That's how you create a fan base. Get people in the building first. It would have been an event. It would have given them experience for the big dance. Instead it gave the coach a cheap thrill by saying no.

Reaction Score
Sounds like Geno is taking this game personally. If that's the case, I need to change my score prediction:

Huskies by 55.

I hear ya. I am gonna change mine as well. UConn is on a mission!! 60 plus tonight.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Yes, Geno. Don't beg. You asked, they said no, so keep it moving. Once Rutgers was able to move to the Big 10, I knew C.Vivian Springer and Rutgers wouldn't play UConn anymore. I was surprised Louisville agreed to play UConn again.
I don't really know whether or not that is 100% true. Vivian when RU was leaving the American said she wanted to play UConn going forward - and if she changed her mind I am sure it had to do with the declining ability of Rutgers to be competitive in the game. Or Geno realized that RU wouldn't be competitive and passed if she asked.

But I am 100% certain in the abstract that if she was fielding a decent team, CVS would want to play UConn. For a coach with a good team it is a win / win situation. It boosts your RPI, the loss doesn't affect what anyone thinks of your team and you get credit for playing the game. For the players, they get to compete against the highest level and find out what some of their faults might be. And when RU was really good, we were actually competitive with UConn and won some games. An Assistant once said that if RU (of that time) played UConn 3 times a season, they would have a chance to win one, which was born out pretty much. We didn't always win that one but we were competitive.

But since then UConn has gotten better (I wouldn't have believed it possible) while Rutgers has declined quite a bit.

Reaction Score
Geno asked for a favor, Hillsman said "No". Plain and simple. There are always implications to your decisions. There are a lot of other Women's BBall programs who WANT to play UConn, so Geno schedules them, instead.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Guys, can we ratchet back the outrage? If there is/was any anger at SU's refusal to schedule a game, Stewie herself got to take it out on them last season.

Here's the full quote, by the way:

Before the 2015-16 season, Auriemma said Connecticut asked Syracuse to schedule an early season nonconference game in the Carrier Dome. SU said “No,” Auriemma said Sunday. The topic arose Sunday when Auriemma was asked whether he missed the Big East rivalry of Syracuse and Connecticut, which goes back decades.

“We tried to schedule,” Auriemma said, “but (SU) wasn’t very accommodating when we wanted to play them. We said we’ll come up and play you guys and they said no. We don’t ask twice. We ask once … It doesn’t bother me. People say no all of the time. Everybody’s got to make their own schedule the way they want to make it, to make their program they way they want to make it.

“Our nonconference schedule is the best in the conference. There’s nobody we won’t play. We’ll play anybody, anywhere. Well play at midnight. I don’t care. If you play us, you’ll be on national television.

Lordy, there are times when I think I took the time machine back to the old Summitt.

3 things Geno Auriemma said at his pre-Syracuse press conference

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Whatever the rationale was for the Orange not playing the Huskies during the regular season, there will be a very good one going forward. Syracuse will graduate 4 of 5 starters plus their only decent reserve off the bench, and it's not like Coach Q has the top recruiting class in the nation coming in.

There are some lean times ahead in the Dome. Tonight will be the last opportunity for Syracuse to make some noise in WBB for some time to come, unless they pull off an upset of epic proportions.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Hillsman has always sought to be colorful and he talks a lot. He could have said "we just had a full plate; I wish we didn't". No. He made it clear that the game did not make sense to him, embellishing it further with the unique opinion that media create rivalries, schools don't. Yes, 24 straight loses don't make a rivalry. Apparently he has no stomach for trying to start one either. Duke got sick of losing and ended the series. It happens. No biggy. Quentin could have answered the question in a better way.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I don't really know whether or not that is 100% true. Vivian when RU was leaving the American said she wanted to play UConn going forward - and if she changed her mind I am sure it had to do with the declining ability of Rutgers to be competitive in the game. Or Geno realized that RU wouldn't be competitive and passed if she asked.

But I am 100% certain in the abstract that if she was fielding a decent team, CVS would want to play UConn. For a coach with a good team it is a win / win situation. It boosts your RPI, the loss doesn't affect what anyone thinks of your team and you get credit for playing the game. For the players, they get to compete against the highest level and find out what some of their faults might be. And when RU was really good, we were actually competitive with UConn and won some games. An Assistant once said that if RU (of that time) played UConn 3 times a season, they would have a chance to win one, which was born out pretty much. We didn't always win that one but we were competitive.

But since then UConn has gotten better (I wouldn't have believed it possible) while Rutgers has declined quite a bit.
I am going off of what Geno said at the presser for the Syracuse game. Geno said he asked Rutgers to play UConn along with Louisville. Rutgers declined and Louisville will be playing UConn next year. He also stated he asked Rutgers, because he was trying to keep the rivalry going.

Reaction Score
Yes, Geno. Don't beg. You asked, they said no, so keep it moving. Once Rutgers was able to move to the Big 10, I knew C.Vivian Springer and Rutgers wouldn't play UConn anymore. I was surprised Louisville agreed to play UConn again.

I was surprised Uconn and Louisville waited this long to to get a series going again. I highly doubt Waltz would turn the other way when it comes to Uconn. His team may have gotten a beat down, but he knows playing Uconn is good for his team. And there is mutual respect for him and Geno.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom