We need to realize that this is a tough puzzle to assemble | The Boneyard

We need to realize that this is a tough puzzle to assemble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Remember those simple puzzles you put together when you were child? Well, this UConn team ain't one of them. The number of pieces is similar, but nothing else. It's also very different from last year's team, which had one central piece around which all the others fit.

We now have more cornerstones than corners, and the pieces need to fit together in a way that's completely different than last year. It a more talented team overall, but the talents are young and diverse. At this point, it's a bunch of beautful parts that need to be assembled and polished. To do so will take time and it may mean shortening the bench so the best parts can have enough playing time to mesh and become polished.

Just one fan's opinion.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
We agree, but I don't think we expected it would take much longer than 11 games and roughly 3 months of practice for some kind of 40-minute chemistry to develop. This would be fine if this was posted after the Maine game, but Big East play starts on Wednesday. At least 6 of our returning players were important contributors last season, so it's not like UK where none of them have ever played together. You'd want this kind of stuff to start to become flushed out by around now. Maybe it will take a few Big East games, and if so, so be it. We've seen glimpses of good chemistry and we know it will come eventually.

Reaction Score
It isn't as easy as we all think it is. It isn't like you blow a big lead once and say to yourself "well, we learned a lesson and we're never going to let that happen again." It gets in your head a little and you start fighting yourself as much as the opponent. We actually did some good things on offense at key times to stop the bleeding, but we let them go right back down and score. What's missing from our growthearly tthis year is an extra level of intensity on defense - "the clamps" as we have called them here on the 'yard, dating back to the Ricky years. Break out the clamps when the lead gets down to 12, and maybe we get an easy bucket or two in transition and win by 20. And then maybe in a game against Syracuse or Louisville, we break out the clamps to turn a six-point deficit with five minutes to go into a win.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I've turned into Mr. Hand. I'm convinced you are all on drugs.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This board is a Rubix Cube of stupid.

Reaction Score
We agree, but I don't think we expected it would take much longer than 11 games and roughly 3 months of practice for some kind of 40-minute chemistry to develop. This would be fine if this was posted after the Maine game, but Big East play starts on Wednesday. At least 6 of our returning players were important contributors last season, so it's not like UK where none of them have ever played together. You'd want this kind of stuff to start to become flushed out by around now. Maybe it will take a few Big East games, and if so, so be it. We've seen glimpses of good chemistry and we know it will come eventually.

Christ, have you ever watched sports before in your life?

Reaction Score
This board is a Rubix Cube of stupid.

Sad thing is that this is the "A" board. It's like if you thought EPL soccer sucked, there's still three levels beneath it even worse. Although at least they have a system of relegation there. If it was like that here, and we became too stupid, the 'yard would be relegated to the ESPN messageboards for a season.

Reaction Score
did you watch a single game before the tourney last season?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
the only thing about last night's game that concerned me was the diminished effort in the 2nd half, and that's correctable

otherwise, the team played great against a decent opponent. Individuals had some bad games, but 8 guys are not going to shine every day, and they don't need to

Reaction Score
Fairfield is a pretty good team and obviously had a superb shooting night. Remember St. Bonnies's?? They're still trying to repeat that shooting performance against us a decade later.

Maybe sugar plum visions were dancing in a few UConn heads a bit early before the holiday fun kicks in, but I suspect that ride to Storrs was not pleasant.

I'm not too worried about these kids. They'll be fine come late winter!

Reaction Score
I am less worried about BE play that I have been about these pre-season mid-major type games. I don't think its a lack of chemistry or even a lack of knowledge/acceptance of roles. This team just has a bad habit of playing down to their competition, particularly in the second half when they start to lose focus. They've done it several times this year, and got bit by it once against UCF. I think this team will be just fine against stronger competition.

Reaction Score
One thing that I have been a bit concerned about is that we have almost too many of some pieces, which makes it hard to mix and match well. One of the best things, and one of the reasons it worked as well as it did, about last season was that there were very clear roles and responsibilities. Not sure that is so much the case this year. As th eold C&W song goes, "nobody wants to play rythmn guitar behind Jesus. They all want to be the lead singer in the band."

Reaction Score
Breaking news. AO is the only upper classman on this team.

They are young pups and they a lacking the strong NBA PG we had last year. I will be pleased if they are gelling well by the time they'play in March let alone before BE play.

I mean what do you expect when 90% of the players seeing PT are freshman or sophs?

Reaction Score
One thing that I have been a bit concerned about is that we have almost too many of some pieces, which makes it hard to mix and match well. One of the best things, and one of the reasons it worked as well as it did, about last season was that there were very clear roles and responsibilities. Not sure that is so much the case this year. As th eold C&W song goes, "nobody wants to play rythmn guitar behind Jesus. They all want to be the lead singer in the band."

I think last year's roles are a lot clearer in retrospect than they were at this time last year. There was a period where Jeremy barely saw the court, Giffey was in and out, Jamal Coombs-McDaniel bounced around, etc.

This year, the addition of Drummond has had a domino effect that's created uncertainty about roles. As someone said in another thread, AO's a college 5 and he's having to get used to playing the 4. Likewise, Roscoe's a college 4 and he's having to get used to playing the 3.

But just like last year, all of the pieces are there. My guess is that it will all get sorted out and fit together quite well by the end.

Reaction Score
Calhoun's teams have historically peaked around mid Feb through March (which is an excellent time to peak ...) By then, JC usually has his solid 7-8 player rotation ...

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It isn't as easy as we all think it is. It isn't like you blow a big lead once and say to yourself "well, we learned a lesson and we're never going to let that happen again." It gets in your head a little and you start fighting yourself as much as the opponent. We actually did some good things on offense at key times to stop the bleeding, but we let them go right back down and score. What's missing from our growthearly tthis year is an extra level of intensity on defense - "the clamps" as we have called them here on the 'yard, dating back to the Ricky years. Break out the clamps when the lead gets down to 12, and maybe we get an easy bucket or two in transition and win by 20. And then maybe in a game against Syracuse or Louisville, we break out the clamps to turn a six-point deficit with five minutes to go into a win.

Clamps have won 3 National Championships. Talent has won zero.

Reaction Score
I dont like puzzles...compare it to something else. Re-do the whole post

Reaction Score
Remember those simple puzzles you put together when you were child? Well, this UConn team ain't one of them. The number of pieces is similar, but nothing else. It's also very different from last year's team, which had one central piece around which all the others fit.

We now have more cornerstones than corners, and the pieces need to fit together in a way that's completely different than last year. It a more talented team overall, but the talents are young and diverse. At this point, it's a bunch of beautful parts that need to be assembled and polished. To do so will take time and it may mean shortening the bench so the best parts can have enough playing time to mesh and become polished.

Just one fan's opinion.

It is what it is well be fine everyone needs to stfu and relax if you have a problem with me im 8 feet tall and can lift Mack trucks with my pinky.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Clamps have won 3 National Championships. Talent has won zero.

Having the 1st 2 college guys to go in one NBA draft isn't talent? And I think UConn was more talented in 1999, as well.

Reaction Score
I think the team is like a chicken that has no bones. Much like this thread is like a story, that has no end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom