We need to play an actual front court | Page 4 | The Boneyard

We need to play an actual front court

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I would like the posters in this thread to regale us with the benefits of 4 and 5 out offenses.

Reaction Score
I think we are clearly worse with Gaff and Cole playing together, unless one is in for Bouk (which shouldn’t be needed since Adams seems to have learned to shoot). I can see that late in games holding a lead. Otherwise no.

If a contact shy 3 point shooter who is a poor rebounder is our 4, we need a physical presence at the 3. Martin or Jackson. Martin is probably a better 4 than Polley. Polley was more effective last year when he was moved to the 3. Ultimately I don’t think Polley is one of our 5 best players and should provide shooting off the bench. But we need to see Martin in action.
Yep, Polley needs to be the sharpshooter off the bench. Starting him at the four is ridiculous when we have Whaley, Sanogo, Martin, and Jackson. It will be even more ridiculous once we get Akok back.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You just watched 35 minutes of this team try to run an offense when nobody could hit an outside shot, and you think the solution is to clog the lane even more with non-shooters?

When you are proven this wrong, this quickly, you should just admit it. There are 9 pages across 2 threads over the last 2 days of me pointing out that 4 and 5 out small ball is hot garbage offense, and you were one of those attacking me. Then UConn does what it just did against the mighty Hartford Hawks.

Superjohn will be diametrically wrong on something and not admit it. Don't be Superjohn.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
You just watched 35 minutes of this team try to run an offense when nobody could hit an outside shot, and you think the solution is to clog the lane even more with non-shooters?
More Josh Carlton would solve our offensive problems.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
When you are proven this wrong, this quickly, you should just admit it. There are 9 pages across 2 threads over the last 2 days of me pointing out that 4 and 5 out small ball is hot garbage offense, and you were one of those attacking me. Then UConn does what it just did against the mighty Hartford Hawks.

Superjohn will be diametrically wrong on something and not admit it. Don't be Superjohn.
You'd make a terrific women's board poster.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
He thinks the solution is Josh Carlton.

I can not remember the last time one poster dunked on about 6 the way I just have through this Hartford game, and you are still trying to argue you are right on this. Small is better? Really?

Reaction Score

Yes you should and will be attacked for suggesting Whaley and Carlton is a superior offense, it's not. I'm not saying tonight's lineup is the one we should be rolling with. Martin should be plugged in for Polley and eventually Jackson for one of the PGs.

You keep getting hung up on this idea everyone wants 4 guards which is not true. People want a 4 like Akok and Martin that is capable of stretching the floor

Reaction Score
I can not remember the last time one poster dunked on about 6 the way I just have through this Hartford game, and you are still trying to argue you are right on this. Small is better? Really?
You are so clueless it isn't even funny. You started a thread to say you know more about offense than NBA coaches and from the threads and chats it's clear you don't even know the schemes you're watching and another season of you whining about how good Carlton is will be brutal. Nobody wants to hear it.

Reaction Score
You keep getting hung up on this idea everyone wants 4 guards which is not true. People want a 4 like Akok and Martin that is capable of stretching the floor
It's his act.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yes you should and will be attacked for suggesting Whaley and Carlton is a superior offense, it's not. I'm not saying tonight's lineup is the one we should be rolling with. Martin should be plugged in for Polley and eventually Jackson for one of the PGs.

I make several points in the two threads:

1) We need 2 people inside to space the floor. The corollary of this is that 4 and 5 out offenses suck. MAYBE a 4 out works with just the right mix of players, but we don't have that mix, so we shouldn't do it.

2) Small ball doesn't work

3) Our perimeter defense sucks which makes small ball even more pointless

4) I know everyone doesn't want 4 guards, just those that were arguing with me in this thread, including you. We need a bigger team on the floor, and we need an inside threat.

In other words, we need to play an actual front court. Like I say in the title of the thread.

Reaction Score
I make several points in the two threads:

1) We need 2 people inside to space the floor. The corollary of this is that 4 and 5 out offenses suck. MAYBE a 4 out works with just the right mix of players, but we don't have that mix, so we shouldn't do it.

2) Small ball doesn't work

3) Our perimeter defense sucks which makes small ball even more pointless

4) I know everyone doesn't want 4 guards, just those that were arguing with me in this thread, including you. We need a bigger team on the floor, and we need an inside threat.

In other words, we need to play an actual front court. Like I say in the title of the thread.
There's a lot to unpack here. I have not once argued for us to play 4 guards so stop with that ridiculousness.

Akok and Martin playing at the 4, do you consider that "small ball" that will never work?

Reaction Score
How about “clogging the lane” with three 6’9” front court players who pound the boards and play volleyball against an overmatched opponent and hammer them physically with EASY putbacks and dunks? I thought the reason we recruited all these big talented players was to put a team on the floor that was not only more talented than the opponent at each position, but also bigger and stronger.

Small ball works great when the shots are falling. When they go cold, that team is going to get hammered inside and out, defensively and offensively, and on the boards. That got exposed tonight.

Reaction Score
How about “clogging the lane” with three 6’9” front court players who pound the boards and play volleyball against an overmatched opponent and hammer them physically with EASY putbacks and dunks? I thought the reason we recruited all these big talented players was to put a team on the floor that was not only more talented than the opponent at each position, but also bigger and stronger.

Small ball works great when the shots are falling. When they go cold, that team is going to get hammered inside and out, defensively and offensively, and on the boards. That got exposed tonight.
Without knowing who you're talking about as these 6'9 players it's hard to say if that lineup works. What 3 6'9 players are you proposing we play together?

We recruited lots of new big talented players, but they're there to fill roles, not just throw them all out at once and hope for the best.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Without knowing who you're talking about as these 6'9 players it's hard to say if that lineup works. What 3 6'9 players are you proposing we play together?

We recruited lots of new big talented players, but they're there to fill roles, not just throw them all out at once and hope for the best.

Well, we know which 4 guards that Hurley insists on playing together, and when 3 of them are on the court at once, UConn can't defend or score. Those are two pretty important things in basketball.

Reaction Score
Well, we know which 4 guards that Hurley insists on playing together, and when 3 of them are on the court at once, UConn can't defend or score. Those are two pretty important things in basketball.
I don't even know who you're calling a guard anymore, what 4?

Reaction Score

[/QUOTE

Sanogo, Whaley, Polley

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You are so clueless it isn't even funny. You started a thread to say you know more about offense than NBA coaches and from the threads and chats it's clear you don't even know the schemes you're watching and another season of you whining about how good Carlton is will be brutal. Nobody wants to hear it.

derp

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Thats what I would like to see. One PG, Jackson at 3, Martin at 4, Whaley at 5. Sub as needed. Akok when he is ready. I don’t give two craps about my 4 shooting 3s. I do expect them to be able to hit face up jumpers. I’m also tired of using the one post player as a screener up top. It’s bad offense. It kills our rebounding and he is doing nothing out there. Use that stretch 4 in that role.

I understand if Josh simply can’t defend as required in Hurley’s defense, but he is certainly a capable offensive player. I fail to see a reason why we can’t use him at times. He is also our best rim protector by a lot if we go zone. We should have done that against this team tonight. They were not dangerous from outside and we acted like the were Villanova.

Reaction Score
There's a lot to unpack here. I have not once argued for us to play 4 guards so stop with that ridiculousness.

Akok and Martin playing at the 4, do you consider that "small ball" that will never work?
He is but Sanogo and Whaley will be able to coexist on the court together as will Sanogo and Akok.
It's his act.
He just completely makes up things. To be honest the Carlton thread should be ban worthy.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
He just completely makes up things. To be honest the Carlton thread should be ban worthy.

You wail on Carlton every chance you get, but me thanking him for his hard work should be ban worthy?

Look at the board tonight. Every thread is about how this or that player sucks. I am here talking basketball. What are you doing?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom