We need a bigs coach and a mentor for Ollie | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We need a bigs coach and a mentor for Ollie

Reaction Score
Duh! He had Calhoun and dissed him! He had Blaney and chased him away! He had Glen Miller and fired him, to replace him with an inexperienced crony!

really.GIF

Really.
We just happen to have KO right here.

"I just read what you posted! You know nothing of my work! You mean my whole fallacy is wrong. How you got to post in this blog is totally amazing!"

If only life was this easy.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

I'm pretty sure that I remember Blaney saying (shortly after JC abruptly retired) that he would stick around to help the transition (hence the one year). Prior to the 2012-2013 season Blaney fully expected to retire before JC.

That’s my foggy recollection too.

Reaction Score
If we're stuck with Ollie due to his buyout then let's make some changes.

Time for Ricky and Killings to find promotions elsewhere.

We need a bench coach like Larry Brown and a bigs coach like $20 Clyde

We need an offensive coordinator for men's bball also.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
There’s been suggestion and speculation by various media members but that’s as close as you’re gong to get to seeing actual substantiation. There’s less than zero logic in KO or JC taking about it. As for it being fact, I - an anonymous poster - can confirm it firsthand and others (like Chief and Fishy have insider info as well). If that’s not enough, I don’t think anyone can help you with your request.
I, an anonymous poster can say a lot of crap so please cut the crap
Unless there is hard evidence of any of this speculation that's all it is - no hearsay, no I have friends; hard printable evidence
I love all the KO haters stating - oh it's true but when asked to prove it, it's the same..
I happen to be well connected within the UConn family and I hear a lot of stuff from folks a lot closer to the admin than Fishy and I haven't heard one iota of Karl hating on KO or GB leaving because of KO etc. I do respect Geno's opinion of KO and none of this nonsense is included.
Is KO a great coach? HELL NO Is he a good coach The jury is out Will he be coaching in 2019 and beyond? Who knows
If he deserves to go he will go
This thread is pure BS

Reaction Score
Unless there is hard evidence of any of this speculation that's all it is - no hearsay, no I have friends; hard printable evidence
I love all the KO haters stating - oh it's true but when asked to prove it, it's the same..
I happen to be well connected within the UConn family and I hear a lot of stuff from folks a lot closer to the admin than Fishy and I haven't heard one iota of Karl hating on KO or GB leaving because of KO etc. I do respect Geno's opinion of KO and none of this nonsense is included.
Is KO a great coach? HELL NO Is he a good coach The jury is out Will he be coaching in 2019 and beyond? Who knows
This thread is pure BS
Blaney raves about KO in that press release. Everybodies an insider now lol. Some things are valid, but KO pushing Blaney out might be the dumbest thing posted in this board in quite some time

Reaction Score
To those who said Brimah’s body type couldn’t support muscles - look at both his arms and legs now.
It is so frustrating why this did not happen beyond some marginal improvement for 4 years and then in 6 months he’s a new guy.

View attachment 27607

Sorry Chief he was a stick figure when he showed up and was much bigger when he left. He looks like he has gotten a bit bigger upper body but the legs, well they're skinny may never be big enough but that's not on him. If I watched a game I could tell the "big" difference you refer to but the picture doesn't tell me a lot (mau-surements are tough in pictures). Reality is I thought the kid worked real hard to be stronger while a Husky anyway mostly on his own I bet. If he is continuing that with yet another pro type trainer now then good for him, he will need to get continue to get stronger but also keep trying to understand the game to be better. His athleticism could put him in the league late 20's if the light goes on. Hope it does.

Reaction Score
This thread is pure BS
Its the great mystery of the anonymous message board...you don’t know who’s insight is real and who’s isn’t. I get that. But I couldn’t care less whether you choose to believe me or not. And I feel zero desire or need to prove anything to another anonymous poster so get off your Spotlight soapbox for truth and justice. Believe what you want. People do that all the time to support their desired point of view. If you want to think that the former staff has warm fuzzy feelings about KO, that’s certainly your perogative. It’s not grounded in reality but it’s your choice. I’d only add that it’s pretty naive to believe that just because a former coach didn’t throw KO under the bus or that he said the “right” things as he was leaving, that he “loves” KO. The truth isn’t always told in public and you, my friend, are the public in this case.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Its the great mystery of the anonymous message board...you don’t know who’s insight is real and who’s isn’t. I get that. But I couldn’t care less whether you choose to believe me or not. And I feel zero desire or need to prove anything to another anonymous poster so get off your Spotlight soapbox for truth and justice. Believe what you want. People do that all the time to support their desired point of view. If you want to think that the former staff has warm fuzzy feelings about KO, that’s certainly your perogative. It’s not grounded in reality but it’s your choice. I’d only add that it’s pretty naive to believe that just because a former coach didn’t throw KO under the bus or that he said the “right” things as he was leaving, that he “loves” KO. The truth isn’t always told in public and you, my friend, are the public in this case.

I agree with this entire post.

The logic on this board that because the public statements of people aren’t throwing KO under the bus means that they like KO makes no sense. Why would former players and coaches say bad things about KO for no benefit to themselves?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I agree with this entire post.

The logic on this board that because the public statements of people aren’t throwing KO under the bus means that they like KO makes no sense. Why would former players and coaches say bad things about KO for no benefit to themselves?
Two guys who are posting things as fact which are based entirely in rumor an innuendo. Of course when one claims he has no need to prove any validity the other will agree wholeheartedly.

I'm waiting for someone to claim KO sabotaged JC's bike before the fundraiser where he broke his ribs.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Two guys who are posting things as fact which are based entirely in rumor an innuendo. Of course when one claims he has no need to prove any validity the other will agree wholeheartedly.

I'm waiting for someone to claim KO sabotaged JC's bike before the fundraiser where he broke his ribs.

Just because people don't reveal their identity on an anonymous message board doesn't make people not credible. People believe what they confirms their own views. It's easier to believe that Glen, Hobbs left because they weren't good coaches than KO pushing them out. It's easier to believe that JC's work was done than it is to believe that KO didn't want him around. We'll see what happens in the future, but if KO wasn't a former UConn player people wouldn't defend him in the same way.

C

Chief00

Sorry Chief he was a stick figure when he showed up and was much bigger when he left. He looks like he has gotten a bit bigger upper body but the legs, well they're skinny may never be big enough but that's not on him. If I watched a game I could tell the "big" difference you refer to but the picture doesn't tell me a lot (mau-surements are tough in pictures). Reality is I thought the kid worked real hard to be stronger while a Husky anyway mostly on his own I bet. If he is continuing that with yet another pro type trainer now then good for him, he will need to get continue to get stronger but also keep trying to understand the game to be better. His athleticism could put him in the league late 20's if the light goes on. Hope it does.

Mau, I thought Brimah arms did get a little bigger and more define last season but to me this is 5 steps above that. If someone has a picture from last season showing I am wrong - I will correct my post.

Reaction Score
Even Mumu’s body went through a complete transformation when he went to Mizzou. S&C has been an issue under KO. Doesn’t help that KO jettisons one strength coach and his hand picked guy bolts at the beginning of the season.

Reaction Score
Even Mumu’s body went through a complete transformation when he went to Mizzou. S&C has been an issue under KO. Doesn’t help that KO jettisons one strength coach and his hand picked guy bolts at the beginning of the season.
Did we ever get the low down on Carlos Daniel's sudden departure?

Reaction Score
To those who said Brimah’s body type couldn’t support muscles - look at both his arms and legs now.
It is so frustrating why this did not happen beyond some marginal improvement for 4 years and then in 6 months he’s a new guy.

View attachment 27607

In 6 months he's a new guy?

Here are his stats for the Austin Spurs vs UConn senior year:

Points/Game: 6.0 vs 7.6
PF/Game: 3.0 vs 3.2
TOs/Game: 1.4 vs 1.5
Assists/Game: 0.8 vs 0.2
Rebounds/Game: 6.7 vs 6.1
FT%: 61.0% vs 62.3%
FG%: 54.3% vs 57.3%
Blocks/Game: 2.6 vs 2.6

His stats in the G-League and at UConn are almost identical. Plus, he has the lowest +/- on the team.

As for size, he is listed at 6'10", 230 lbs. now. As a recruit, he was listed at 6'10", 220 lbs. As a freshman, he was listed at 7'0", 217lbs and as a senior he was listed at 7'0", 230 lbs. Does he have more muscle? Probably, but he has not made over his body.

The pros and cons of Brimah have been debated extensively on The Boneyard, but he is not a new and improved Brimah at this point.

Reaction Score
He is putting up similar, and in a few cases, somewhat better stats, against better competition in the G Leauge, (compared to what he faced in the AAC)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This thread is pure BS

I've got no inside info. I don't know the feelings of the people involved. I can only say that Kevin Ollie's staff has changed from three former head coaches, to two former head coaches, to one former head coach (last year) to no former head coaches (this year). We know from JC that he doesn't want JC's advice.

3 former head coaches: 20-10 (10-8 in Big East) with a depleted roster
2 former head coaches: 32-8 (12-6) National Champions; 20-15 (10-8); 25-11 (11-7) NCAA invite, conf. champions
1 former head coach: 16-17 (9-9)
0 former head coaches: 8-7 (1-2) in progress

I am not sure what to conclude from his behavior other than that Kevin Ollie doesn't really want input from other experienced coaches, who might question his approach. The results speak for themselves.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
If we're stuck with Ollie due to his buyout then let's make some changes.

Time for Ricky and Killings to find promotions elsewhere.

We need a bench coach like Larry Brown and a bigs coach like $20 Clyde
This big man coach stuff is a joke. If you can coach basketball you can coach all the positions. Duke has two of the best big men in the nation and 4 former guards as coaches. Tell me who is Mo Bamba's big man coach at Texas? Who is Ayton's big man coach at Arizona? Heck what is the percentage of D1 head coaches under 6'6" vs over 6'6"? 90? Larry Brown, great coach, what is he 5' 11"?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom