We might get 'The Game' again? | The Boneyard

We might get 'The Game' again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Oh, but I love that they've come crawling back.

My first priority would be getting a series with ND, and maintaining the Stanford & Duke games. And at least 1 Big10 team (PnSt,MD,RU).
After that, sure. If there's room. And if they ever make the final 4 again. Otherwise, they're not worth the time, are they? :)

U

UCONNfan1

I think it's a good thing. I'm glad they came to us asking for the series to be renewed. UCONN should be able to pound them into oblivion for the foreseeable future and that should make UCONN fans very happy! Plus, there aren't 2 other fan bases in women's basketball that dislike each other as much as UCONN and Tennessee. It will make for great drama. And it will be a treat to watch the Tennessee board explode every time UCONN beats the snot out of them...

I'm also glad that she fessed up to admitting to canceling the series because of "recruiting tactics" she accused UCONN of perpetuating. I assume it was over the Maya Moore recruitment, who oddly enough, was NEVER going to go to Tennessee. It probably didn't get any better the following year when UCONN managed to land Doty and Delle Donne, who Summitt recruited as well, I believe.

Funny thing - after all the drama and hatred spewed by their fans, the only thing UCONN was EVER guilty of was having an assistant make an appointment for Maya and family at ESPN, instead of having Maya or family call themselves. Oooh - talk about an unfair recruiting tactic!!

Reaction Score
See what happens when one school comes beggin' to another...

:-/

I am just observing.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Tennessee will be a top 10 team for a while, with Russell and Graves. Heck, they might evenbe better when Simmons is gone. I'd love to see UConn play all the top 10 teams in a season.

Reaction Score
The Volunteers need the rivalry much more than the Huskies. They haven't been anywhere near the team they used to be. Ever since Candace Parker left, it's been downhill from there. UConn already has forty scheduled if they make it to the finals. Maybe in the tournament?

Reaction Score
I think it's a good thing. I'm glad they came to us asking for the series to be renewed. UCONN should be able to pound them into oblivion for the foreseeable future and that should make UCONN fans very happy! Plus, there aren't 2 other fan bases in women's basketball that dislike each other as much as UCONN and Tennessee. It will make for great drama. And it will be a treat to watch the Tennessee board explode every time UCONN beats the snot out of them...

I'm also glad that she fessed up to admitting to canceling the series because of "recruiting tactics" she accused UCONN of perpetuating. I assume it was over the Maya Moore recruitment, who oddly enough, was NEVER going to go to Tennessee. It probably didn't get any better the following year when UCONN managed to land Doty and Delle Donne, who Summitt recruited as well, I believe.

Funny thing - after all the drama and hatred spewed by their fans, the only thing UCONN was EVER guilty of was having an assistant make an appointment for Maya and family at ESPN, instead of having Maya or family call themselves. Oooh - talk about an unfair recruiting tactic!!

Their coach always insinuated but never said exactly what the violations were. UConn self-reported the Maya incident and the NCAA ruled it was a minor infraction and no punishment was necessary. Look at the rivalry: UConn 4 - UT 0 in the Championship Game. That's all that needs to be said. Had UT played UConn in the finals during the Maya / Tina championship years, it would be 6-0.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
As an outsider, I always was a huge fan of the rivalry, because it involved the two titan programs and two legendary coaches (the only two coaches in women's college basketball that have national name recognition among those who do not follow women's basketball or women's sports at all).

Before this year, I said that the push for the rivalry to be renewed would have to come from Tennessee. Over the past five years, UConn has had a great rivalry with Notre Dame and compelling rivalries and games with Stanford and Baylor. All of them have made multiple Final Four appearances during this stretch. Tennessee has not made a Final Four since Candace Parker graduated.

Now, however, with the Big East having been raided, the Catholic schools forming their own league, and programs like Louisville (two recent Final Four appearances), Rutgers (2007 Final Four, legendary coach, though program has fallen on hard times), and Notre Dame (three recent Final Four appearances) leaving for other BCS conferences, UConn does not have the same opportunities for nationally televised games against *conference* rivals. This means that in order to maintain these games (Notre Dame, Louisville, and/or Rutgers), they would have to be part of the non-conference schedule.

UConn, like Tennessee, will always have cache. It is a legendary program with a legendary coach. Adding Tennessee to the schedule would do amazing things in terms of publicity for the two programs, the rivalry, and the sport itself, but also for UConn's RPI, given what Tennessee has returning for next year and with the additions of the stud recruits in 2013, who will be there for the next four years. It would also help Tennessee, as far as getting the Tennessee back into the national title conversation (discussion of national title contenders), from which the program has been conspicuously absent the past few years.

Let me clear about what I mean as far as RPI, so as not to offend anyone. I think we can all agree that the new conference is not going to thave the same RPI as the Big East. There aren't the powerhouses that have either re-emerged or developed (specifically Notre Dame and Louisville, as both have made multiple Final Fours since the UConn-Tennessee rivalry ended). Having a really strong non-conference schedule could be needed to balance out what I anticipate to be (and what many here think) the lower conference RPI of the new legaue. It could be the difference between having the best #1 seed and the most favorable geographic region and a lesser #1 seed. Or it could mean being the 4th #1 seed and the top #2 seed. Then again, with the way UConn has been recruiting, it may not matter!!! But it is a *possibility.*

I have not checked to see if UConn is playing Baylor next year. If the two programs are continuing the series, there will be a dropoff in terms of Griner having graduated (and a total of six players, including four starters). It will not be at the same level as it has been. Could be a top 15 program; could be top 25. Too early to say; will depend on how the younger players develop and how much Sims balances her role as a scorer and a playmaker for others.

Under Joanne P. McCallie, the Duke-UConn series always looks good...on paper. Duke has made four straight Elite Eight appearances under Coach P...and has been blown out in four of those games, while socring 48 points in the one close game. Duke has been blown out by UConn in every matchup in McCallie's tenure. Duke is 0-6 against UConn, having scored between 40 and 49 points in five of the six losses (in the sixth loss, Duke scored 51 points). UConn has scored between 74 and 87 points in five of the six meetings, notwithstanding Coach P's well-earned reputation for defense. Duke was ranked in the top six for the last four meetings between the teams, yet were subjected to multiple blowouts. That game will look good on paper (and most certainly will boost UConn's RPI), but it is not really a rivalry game (or even a game worth watching) when the closest game was 16 points and five of the six losses were by 25 points or more.
Stanford will has been consistently good, but especially in the last 5-6 years. As long as the program still brings in top recruits, it will remain as a good rival for UConn (and a good game on the schedule).

While other schools have great 2014 recruiting classes (e.g., UCLA, Texas, etc.), those players will take time to develop. It might be two years before we discuss those programs as Elite Eight contenders.

To me, as an outside (non-UConn fan/grad, non-Tennessee fan/grad) observer, I think the game would be great for the sport. I also think there are a lot of benefits for both UConn and Tennessee. Tennessee has had some good recruiting classes as of late, with some very talented younger players in the post (e.g., Graves, Russell). While Simmons is going to be a senior, there are other, younger guards and wings who will emerge. There are a lot of pieces already in place for the making of a good game between two national title contenders. It is certainly a game I would like to see.

I realize it is different reading comments from an oustider, who did not live with being a fan of a particular school and having to process how the rivalry ended, including rumors, innuendo, and/or accusations of improper conduct. I might feel differently if those had been levied against *my* school/coach. Again, I hope I do not offend anyone with my opinions or candid observations.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not sure there is really much new here except that TN is open to the idea. At the moment with an 18 game regular season and usually an in-season tournament there are only 9 'non-conference games.
If you count
2 - Stanford and another west coast team (Geno likes to get at least two games on the west coast when they make that trip)
3 - Duke, Baylor (or one big 12) and PSU (or one Big 10)
2 - Hartford and Holy Cross (or two other localish mid-majors)
That leaves two spots for other teams and a lot of possible candidates including former BE teams.
The obvious hole is an SEC team, but there are quite a few candidates that have been on the schedule from time to time including Texas A&M and LSU.
I do think it would be a popular game, but I personally don't really care if it ever gets onto the schedule.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
CamrnCrz - Thanks for posting an outside view. I agree about needing a strong OOC, but I think with MD, PSU, Baylor (agree about the drop), Stanford, and Duke, etc. Uconn will continue to have a pretty good OOC. And there are a few other teams that are traditionally on the schedule but not currently like NC and OK. I also think that as long as Uconn continues to play most if not all of the contenders for NC and the others do as well, the RPI is less important than the actual head to head records.
I think the advantage of not having the TN/Uconn game over the last 5 years is that other rivalries got promoted out of desperation, and the wealth was spread. Generally a good thing, especially because it involved some nationally prominent schools like ND and Stanford and Duke (even with the blow-outs.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom