We Just Need Some New Names | The Boneyard

We Just Need Some New Names

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
All this handwringing over Weist, Day, Wholley, and others will end very quickly when we can get some new names to wrap our fanatic brains around. It will be interesting to see who a 40 year old can bring in at OC and DC. Pasqualoni had decades of contacts and ended up with an abject failure in GDL and a successful hire in Don Brown. Although it could be argued that Brown essentially fell into his lap.

Diaco connections are much more limited and I would suspect that we would see some MAC coaches. Although you never know where Diaco, with money and support from Warde, may cast his nets.

Reaction Score
All this handwringing over Weist, Day, Wholley, and others will end very quickly when we can get some new names to wrap our fanatic brains around. It will be interesting to see who a 40 year old can bring in at OC and DC. Pasqualoni had decades of contacts and ended up with an abject failure in GDL and a successful hire in Don Brown. Although it could be argued that Brown essentially fell into his lap.

Diaco connections are much more limited and I would suspect that we would see some MAC coaches. Although you never know where Diaco, with money and support from Warde, may cast his nets.

Desmond Conner @desmondconner
#UConnFootbal coach Bob Diaco said he'll look to complete staff after first of the year. Wants all to have a nice XMas, eve, n New Yrs, eve

We'll be hearing some names soon. So far he's kept his words.

Reaction Score
Actually though, one thing about assistant coaches is that where they happen to be at a particular time doesn't directly reflect their coaching abilities. It is just as likely that a very solid Dline coach happens at the moment to be at a Sunbelt school as at a B12 school. Foley I believe came from Colgate and Harvard just as an example. The nature of the business is that guys sometimes end up at places where you wouldn't expect them to be. Buggs was a well respected D-back coach and recruiter at Penn State but between Penn State and UConn he spent time at Lock Haven. Bottom line is just because we get an assistant coach from a MAC or Sunbelt school,or even a 1AA guy, doesn't mean the guy doesn't know his business.

Bill Sussman

My Name isn't really Bill
Reaction Score
Actually though, one thing about assistant coaches is that where they happen to be at a particular time doesn't directly reflect their coaching abilities. It is just as likely that a very solid Dline coach happens at the moment to be at a Sunbelt school as at a B12 school. Foley I believe came from Colgate and Harvard just as an example. The nature of the business is that guys sometimes end up at places where you wouldn't expect them to be. Buggs was a well respected D-back coach and recruiter at Penn State but between Penn State and UConn he spent time at Lock Haven. Bottom line is just because we get an assistant coach from a MAC or Sunbelt school,or even a 1AA guy, doesn't mean the guy doesn't know his business.

So what you are saying is.....Narduzzi for DC?

Reaction Score
I'm a little surprised that he isn't naming his Offensive coordinator sooner than the New Year. In fact I suspect he might. Given his background as a defensive guy I'm less concerned about the DC.

Reaction Score
I'm a little surprised that he isn't naming his Offensive coordinator sooner than the New Year. In fact I suspect he might. Given his background as a defensive guy I'm less concerned about the DC.

I would bet he does too... He made mention last night of things working through the "state university hiring system" (my words - not his exact quote).

Reaction Score
wouldn't be surprise about that OC mention earlier than New Years at all.. we should know about that thru one of those rumor mill sites or via twitter some time right after Xmas I'd suppose

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Or…. he may mention the hire, and work it through the system, and tell the guy to be in place on Jan 2.

I am with you all on pins and needles… I want my information… and I want it now…

:)

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Indianas defense is TERRIBLE!!!!

Indiana's defense this year looks 10x better than it has looked in the last 20 years that I've watched them play regularly.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
upstater said:
Indiana's defense this year looks 10x better than it has looked in the last 20 years that I've watched them play regularly.
Indiana gave up career highs on D every week. They're awful.

Reaction Score
Indiana gave up career highs on D every week. They're awful.

What is a career high? I've never heard that one before.

Look at Indiana's several previous seasons when they gave up 83 points to Wisky once.

This year was an improvement in both defense and in final record.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Indiana's defense was spectacularly bad.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Or…. he may mention the hire, and work it through the system, and tell the guy to be in place on Jan 2.

I am with you all on pins and needles… I want my information… and I want it now…

:)
Just because Coach Diaco won't name names until after the Holidays doesn't mean he is not having conversations now. He's just not vetting his candidates through the media. Considering the time of year, I find absolutely zero wrong with that. Actually it will be an impressive feat if he can do it in the Twitter age.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Just because Coach Diaco won't name names until after the Holidays doesn't mean he is not having conversations now. He's just not vetting his candidates through the media. Considering the time of year, I find absolutely zero wrong with that. Actually it will be an impressive feat if he can do it in the Twitter age.

Undoubtedly. He isn't delaying his search until after New Year's, he's delaying the announcement. He's and the athletic department are doing plenty of leg work right now.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Indiana's defense was spectacularly bad.
Perhaps a function of the Jimmys and Joes rather than Xs and Os. For instance, not many outside linebackers could play the Derrick Brooks position in Monte Kiffin's Tampa 2 defense. There's a lot of time before spring practice. Coach Diaco will undoubtedly review practice notes and game tape before then to see what he has. Given his history at ND and Cincinnati, I am confident in his ability to put players in the best position to succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom