We Have To Take Hold Of Ourselves | The Boneyard

We Have To Take Hold Of Ourselves

Reaction Score
And if that means grabbing our own throats by the collar while looking in the mirror, so be it. (maybe KO's collar). I noticed something with Jalen gone today. We did not have a player that could dribble to midrange and knock down a 15 footer. Those players are Jalen and Gilbert and when they both run the team they can do that. Rodney can't, Vital no, and Vance nyet. So when Jalen comes back we'll have one that can create and next year we have two, but I'd like to see another guard like the microwave John Gwynn who can stop and convert short range for us next season. We have to have the 3 but we need to be able to score midrange better than we do. It's all about pointing to next season as far as I'm concerned, making sure we have the right personnel to get us back on track. I don't think we do yet though.

Reaction Score
And if that means grabbing our own throats by the collar while looking in the mirror, so be it. (maybe KO's collar). I noticed something with Jalen gone today. We did not have a player that could dribble to midrange and knock down a 15 footer. Those players are Jalen and Gilbert and when they both run the team they can do that. Rodney can't, Vital no, and Vance nyet. So when Jalen comes back we'll have one that can create and next year we have two, but I'd like to see another guard like the microwave John Gwynn who can stop and convert short range for us next season. We have to have the 3 but we need to be able to score midrange better than we do. It's all about pointing to next season as far as I'm concerned, making sure we have the right personnel to get us back on track. I don't think we do yet though.

Mal can be that guy as well. And I hope eventually vital.

Reaction Score

We aren't recruiting at the Big East level anymore. These guys are mid-major level.

Reaction Score
Mal can be that guy as well. And I hope eventually vital.
If Mal is that guy then we have 3 and that is good, but in my mind this is critically important.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You haven't watched much basketball this year at all if you think Jalen Adams is mid-major.

He's the guy who wants the football team to recruit only offensive players and convert the ones who can't cut the mustard to defense. Don't take anything he has to say seriously.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
We aren't recruiting at the Big East level anymore. These guys are mid-major level.

that's simply not true, these are some of the best kids we've ever had (ratings wise)

JC coached his recruits up

Reaction Score
So it's not recruiting. (I agree) It's not Ollie( I am neutral) Then what is it? It is something and that something is internal. Outside of an amazing three week run, KO's teams have consistently under performed. I am so tired of the excuses. As a loyal UConn fan, it sickens me to watch the dumpster fire the men's programs are becoming. It starts with accountability. DB has already swung and missed. I think the real issue with KO is his staff. As much as I love the family concept and loyalty, a few on the staff have to go.

Reaction Score
that's simply not true, these are some of the best kids we've ever had (ratings wise)

JC coached his recruits up

So you're saying the current staff can't develop the talent we recruit ? I'd go further and say that the talent is probably overrated, but the other issue is that these kids, with a couple of exceptions, have a low BB IQ which makes it difficult to develop the skills needed for a cohesive team effort. We just don't have enough complimentary players to put on the court, injuries or not.

Reaction Score
So you're saying the current staff can't develop the talent we recruit ? I'd go further and say that the talent is probably overrated, but the other issue is that these kids, with a couple of exceptions, have a low BB IQ which makes it difficult to develop the skills needed for a cohesive team effort. We just don't have enough complimentary players to put on the court, injuries or not.

Thank you Hugo. I don't know how many times I've tried to say it but it's so true. If you want to lay the blame on the staff then please do but only for recruiting players without much basketball IQ. I mean you have a 5 that hasn't improved enough to say so in 4 years. If anyone believes he hasn't been taught and schooled on the game then they're just stupid as hell He doesn't get IT period, to this day never in the right spot to rebound and doesn't have the mentality to haves hands ready for anything but blocking shots. This is not on the staff, a basketball player would improve immensely on his own just by playing that many days of the year, if he was mentally capable. Nothing comes natural. I can on and on with a couple of others too but it is what it is! Get smarter kids to play here and they will improve with this staff.

Reaction Score
Thank you Hugo. I don't know how many times I've tried to say it but it's so true. If you want to lay the blame on the staff then please do but only for recruiting players without much basketball IQ. I mean you have a 5 that hasn't improved enough to say so in 4 years. If anyone believes he hasn't been taught and schooled on the game then they're just stupid as hell He doesn't get IT period, to this day never in the right spot to rebound and doesn't have the mentality to haves hands ready for anything but blocking shots. This is not on the staff, a basketball player would improve immensely on his own just by playing that many days of the year, if he was mentally capable. Nothing comes natural. I can on and on with a couple of others too but it is what it is! Get smarter kids to play here and they will improve with this staff.
A player's IQ is usually a reflection of his coach. And if you want a sample set of how mediocre this staff is, take a look at Ollie's overall regular season record in the American. FYI, at best, the American is the seventh ranked conference during that same span. I am not sure what the answer is or if there a better coach out there for this program. I do know that Ollie has been average at best and certainly not worth the money this state is paying him. Maybe I am old school, but in my world, coaches make players betters, not smarter players will improve the staff.

Reaction Score
So it's not recruiting. (I agree) It's not Ollie( I am neutral) Then what is it? It is something and that something is internal. Outside of an amazing three week run, KO's teams have consistently under performed. I am so tired of the excuses. As a loyal UConn fan, it sickens me to watch the dumpster fire the men's programs are becoming. It starts with accountability. DB has already swung and missed. I think the real issue with KO is his staff. As much as I love the family concept and loyalty, a few on the staff have to go.

Not true. Didn't underperform in 2013. Also, in 2014, it was more than a short run. But if you recall, it wasn't until Daniels got some confidence that they became a force. January Daniels was not the same player as March Daniels.

Reaction Score
Not true. Didn't underperform in 2013. Also, in 2014, it was more than a short run. But if you recall, it wasn't until Daniels got some confidence that they became a force. January Daniels was not the same player as March Daniels.
I agree and could give a good argument that 2012-13 was Ollie's best year. 2013-14, they finished 12-6 and got blown out by over 30 to Louisville the last game of the season. It was a 3 week run. They were average the rest of the way. They became a force when Boatright bought in and figured out to play Robin to Napier's Batman. Their on ball defense in the tournament was simply an amazing display of defense. Daniels helped, but it started with the transformation of Boatright. From the start of 2014-15 until now, they have been average in a below average conference. You can spin it any other way you want. You will be wrong.

Reaction Score
A player's IQ is usually a reflection of his coach. And if you want a sample set of how mediocre this staff is, take a look at Ollie's overall regular season record in the American. FYI, at best, the American is the seventh ranked conference during that same span. I am not sure what the answer is or if there a better coach out there for this program. I do know that Ollie has been average at best and certainly not worth the money this state is paying him. Maybe I am old school, but in my world, coaches make players betters, not smarter players will improve the staff.

I don't even need to read any further than the first line, so wrong. You're not close and don't get it either, you ever play? You either understand the game or you don't not all is taught, some can be of course. But if you never get where to be, when to be, how to be and what to do when (AB) you can't be taught it. To see anything else is ignorant because it's so obvious!

Reaction Score
I agree and could give a good argument that 2012-13 was Ollie's best year. 2013-14, they finished 12-6 and got blown out by over 30 to Louisville the last game of the season. It was a 3 week run. They were average the rest of the way. They became a force when Boatright bought in and figured out to play Robin to Napier's Batman. Their on ball defense in the tournament was simply an amazing display of defense. Daniels helped, but it started with the transformation of Boatright. From the start of 2014-15 until now, they have been average in a below average conference. You can spin it any other way you want. You will be wrong.

I'll say this again, but I'm amazed at posts like this, because people made them in 2014, and never owned up to them.

You put so much emphasis on the last game of the 2014 regular season.

Do you do the same with the last 5 games of the 2011 regular season?

Can't believe how many UConn fans want to disown a championship season. It is crazy around here. You think Syracuse is disowning 2003? How did they do against UConn at the end of the year?

Reaction Score
I don't even need to read any further than the first line, so wrong. You're not close and don't get it either, you ever play? You either understand the game or you don't not all is taught, some can be of course. But if you never get where to be, when to be, how to be and what to do when (AB) you can't be taught it. To see anything else is ignorant because it's so obvious!

And it doesn't help when you pick up basketball at the ago of 16.

Sometimes I think AB is defending like a soccer player back there (in space) rather than man-marking. He may want to notice that the basketball hoop isn't 20 feet wide (no soccer comments please, I'm not sure how wide a soccer net is).

Reaction Score
When Giffey, Napier, Daniels, Boatright came to UConn, they did not have anywhere near the talent that Adams, Larrier, Gilbert, Durham, Jackson, Vital did.

Ollie lead that 2014 team with lesser talent than we have now to a national championship.

The difference between then and now is that many of the current players are injured, and they are young.

The problem at the center position remains (swap out Enoch for Brimah).

Given the difficulty of recruiting strong 7-footers, UConn may want to move to the old Pitt model. Start recruiting burly 6'8" guys to man the middle. Look for the next Tim Coles.

Reaction Score
And it doesn't help when you pick up basketball at the ago of 16.

Sometimes I think AB is defending like a soccer player back there (in space) rather than man-marking. He may want to notice that the basketball hoop isn't 20 feet wide (no soccer comments please, I'm not sure how wide a soccer net is).

I get that he's a late bloomer, so was Thabeet. And my point is not to compare him to HT because it's not close. But Hasheem wasn't very good at the game his freshman year, 2 pivot feet for travels, couldn't pass very well or shoot it but obviously he was smart enough to get a lot better every year and that's because he got it, he picked up the little things you need to see happening around you. Ab just never did, no one to blame but it's just the way it goes. He couldn't gain basketball smarts, happens. He's not an awful player and he's a great kid but you would've hoped the improvement would be much more impactful because all of those teams would have been a lot better he's been playing on right? Just never happened. Next...

Reaction Score
I don't think we need to change a thing. This team with Adams, Gilbert and Larrier would not be just ok. They would be good. KO put together a team that would have done damage in the NCAA. They still will. Just not this year. There's no doubt in my mind.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Ok, I'm holding myself. What do I do next, make a wish?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom