We Have To Take Hold Of Ourselves | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We Have To Take Hold Of Ourselves

Reaction Score
They haven' t lived up to it, even before the injuries. See Wagner. See New Haven exhibition.
You started out knocking our recruitment ( claiming we recruit at a mid-major level) and now you've switched-off to knocking our early performance. Many teams have had high recruits that start-
off playing injury-free and yet still take time to jell. We had no such luxury!!
I believe we recruited well and would have come together (successful performance-wise ) to a far greater extent, had we not experienced our untimely injuries. I guess we'll have to await next year's performance to judge who's right here!!

Reaction Score
I don't even need to read any further than the first line, so wrong. You're not close and don't get it either, you ever play? You either understand the game or you don't not all is taught, some can be of course. But if you never get where to be, when to be, how to be and what to do when (AB) you can't be taught it. To see anything else is ignorant because it's so obvious!
Yes, I have played. The rest of this is such utter nonsense it doesn't deserve a response.

Reaction Score
Yes, I have played. The rest of this is such utter nonsense it doesn't deserve a response.

I promise you would know. Because yours is laughable.

Here's a question for you - did the staff fail miserably with AB?

Reaction Score
I'll say this again, but I'm amazed at posts like this, because people made them in 2014, and never owned up to them.

You put so much emphasis on the last game of the 2014 regular season.

Do you do the same with the last 5 games of the 2011 regular season?

Can't believe how many UConn fans want to disown a championship season. It is crazy around here. You think Syracuse is disowning 2003? How did they do against UConn at the end of the year?
I am not putting any emphasis on one game. I am looking at 4 seasons of data. Seems to me you are placing far to much worth on 6 games. Outside of 3 amazing weeks, KO's on court performance has been average. Below average if you hold him to his salary and what UConn standards should be. Its basic statistics. Wipe away the two tail ends and you are left with mediocrity. Run the same analysis with other coaches and you quickly see how badly KO has underperformed.

Reaction Score
I promise you would know. Because yours is laughable.

Here's a question for you - did the staff fail miserably with AB?
Maybe we are talking about two different things. AB was a project that never materialized. I don't blame the coaches on AB. Not every one 7 foot or taller is destined to be great at basketball. But inbounds plays or getting position in the middle of a zone are both basic elements of basketball IQ. These are also elements this team can't grasp. That is 100% on coaching.

Reaction Score
So you're saying the current staff can't develop the talent we recruit ? I'd go further and say that the talent is probably overrated, but the other issue is that these kids, with a couple of exceptions, have a low BB IQ which makes it difficult to develop the skills needed for a cohesive team effort. We just don't have enough complimentary players to put on the court, injuries or not.
All of the above is correctomundo! We need to recruit a deep shooting white boy.

Reaction Score
I am not putting any emphasis on one game. I am looking at 4 seasons of data. Seems to me you are placing far to much worth on 6 games. Outside of 3 amazing weeks, KO's on court performance has been average. Below average if you hold him to his salary and what UConn standards should be. Its basic statistics. Wipe away the two tail ends and you are left with mediocrity. Run the same analysis with other coaches and you quickly see how badly KO has underperformed.

He won a national championship with less talent and less support than the teams he competed against. You are wrong. He outperformed with those kids for 2 years. When that class came in for Calhoun, it was blasted as the worst class at UConn since the 1980s. That class won the national championship. Get real.

Reaction Score

WRONG.

I couldn't have been clearer.

I specifically challenged your idea that they only performed well in 6 games.

It was 2 seasons.

Reaction Score
The problem is not not skill, it's will. In 2014 we had confident , strong willed players. Players like Giffey and Daniels, played hard and believed in themselves. Boat and Bazz had attitude.

I look on the floor and Adams is the only player who has that unshakable belief in himself. This team doesn't believe in itself. It's fragile.

Reaction Score
The problem is not not skill, it's will. In 2014 we had confident , strong willed players. Players like Giffey and Daniels, played hard and believed in themselves. Boat and Bazz had attitude.

I look on the floor and Adams is the only player who has that unshakable belief in himself. This team doesn't believe in itself. It's fragile.

How was Daniels in 2012?

Reaction Score
WRONG.

I couldn't have been clearer.

I specifically challenged your idea that they only performed well in 6 games.

It was 2 seasons.
Wrong. They did not perform well. in 2012-13, they performed well given the circumstance. They finished 10-8 in conference. The championship year, they were 12-6 in a weak AAC. So yeah, they had a great 3 week run. Ironically, a run that was extended by Amida Brimah.

Reaction Score
Wrong. They did not perform well. in 2012-13, they performed well given the circumstance. They finished 10-8 in conference. The championship year, they were 12-6 in a weak AAC. So yeah, they had a great 3 week run. Ironically, a run that was extended by Amida Brimah.

They performed very very well. That team had no business playing as well as it did.

They were excellent.

They were coming off a Calhoun punishment for Nate Miles two years prior, it dinged scholarships, they were coming off an APR ban in the tournament, one engineered so that multiple good players like Roscoe and Oriakhi could leave the team (without penalty), they were making the transition from Calhoun to Ollie (who was playing under an "interim" contract), and to top it off, they had an injured player coming back in Omar.

You also forget that in 2014 they lost Daniels for a chunk of the conference season.

Ollie performed miracles those 2 years. He developed those players. Coached tremendously.

Reaction Score
As weak as your argument. Strike that, statistically stronger than your argument.

So it's a weak argument to point out underclassmen aren't as good when they are underclassmen as they are when they are upperclassmen?

With each post, you dig deeper into the loam of the lame.

Reaction Score
They performed very very well. That team had no business playing as well as it did.

They were excellent.

They were coming off a Calhoun punishment for Nate Miles two years prior, it dinged scholarships, they were coming off an APR ban in the tournament, one engineered so that multiple good players like Roscoe and Oriakhi could leave the team (without penalty), they were making the transition from Calhoun to Ollie (who was playing under an "interim" contract), and to top it off, they had an injured player coming back in Omar.

You also forget that in 2014 they lost Daniels for a chunk of the conference season.

Ollie performed miracles those 2 years. He developed those players. Coached tremendously.
There is no question those two years(more so 2012-13) definitely highlight the best of KO, as a coach and as a person. I also agree that at that time, there was no better person who would make a better transition away from a legend. KO was a perfect fit. However, after KO signed an extension that made him a top tier coach, his on court performance deserves critique. Comes with the territory. Since the title, there isn't much of an argument that suggests KO has met expectations.

Reaction Score
Every year, without exception KOs team has played it's best basketball at the end of the year. We've also only just started to recruit well. From Nolan and Omar until getting Dham we recruited either no players or bad players. This year's team was going to be good. It will be good next year. And an AAC tourney run may be possible if Adams can get right. I'm not worried.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
A player's IQ is usually a reflection of his coach. And if you want a sample set of how mediocre this staff is, take a look at Ollie's overall regular season record in the American. FYI, at best, the American is the seventh ranked conference during that same span. I am not sure what the answer is or if there a better coach out there for this program. I do know that Ollie has been average at best and certainly not worth the money this state is paying him. Maybe I am old school, but in my world, coaches make players betters, not smarter players will improve the staff.

That's not true at all. Some players just don't get it.

If you think Ollie and his staff don't know how to teach fundamental stuff that they possessed as players and that other teams they've coached have possessed, then I think you're sorely mistaken.

I think so far the main complaint should be pointed at the fact that too many recruits have not been high IQ bball players, or at the least haven't shown it yet... Ollie is recruiting well, rankings-wise, and he can coach. I think the issue is some of the players' IQ / missing certain qualities.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
BTW, Daniels did not meet my definition of a strong willed player until after the regular season of his final year. Some memories are convenient.

So true, these are kids and they develop or fail to develop at random rates.

People who think KO can't coach because some guys haven't developed to their standards or expectations is not right.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It isn't just one thing. Several players have disappointed. Facey was highly regarded and should have been playing the way he is now by his sophomore year. Enoch...where is the improvement? Brimah goes without saying. Purvis has regressed in his shooting ability.

Meanwhile, Coach Ollie has not coached with the level of intensity and enthusiasm he showed in 2013-14. He also has not prepared the team well. They consistently start poorly and look confused, as if they received no advanced scouting on the other team or it was completely wrong. That's on the staff, and it has cost us games. Yesterday was one of those days. Shorthanded yes...but that shorthanded team, when properly motivated and with proper coaching adjustments at halftime, outscored Houston. That tells me that they could have won. So who is that on? The players? Yes. The coaches? Yes. Could we have overcome that lousy play and lousy coaching if we had all our injured guys? Sure, because we'd be a vastly more talented team than Houston, one that should win by 15, so we'd manage a 4 point win.

That's what I've seen the last two years. A team that plays below its capabilities almost every single game.

Reaction Score
So it's not recruiting. (I agree) It's not Ollie( I am neutral) Then what is it? It is something and that something is internal. Outside of an amazing three week run, KO's teams have consistently under performed. I am so tired of the excuses. As a loyal UConn fan, it sickens me to watch the dumpster fire the men's programs are becoming. It starts with accountability. DB has already swung and missed. I think the real issue with KO is his staff. As much as I love the family concept and loyalty, a few on the staff have to go.

Do you honestly feel his first UCONN team under performed? In my opinion that team over performed. To win 20 games with no incentive to play in the post season was a tremendous accomplishment.

pj

Reaction Score
It isn't just one thing. Several players have disappointed. Facey was highly regarded and should have been playing the way he is now by his sophomore year. Enoch...where is the improvement? Brimah goes without saying. Purvis has regressed in his shooting ability.

Meanwhile, Coach Ollie has not coached with the level of intensity and enthusiasm he showed in 2013-14. He also has not prepared the team well. They consistently start poorly and look confused, as if they received no advanced scouting on the other team or it was completely wrong. That's on the staff, and it has cost us games. Yesterday was one of those days. Shorthanded yes...but that shorthanded team, when properly motivated and with proper coaching adjustments at halftime, outscored Houston. That tells me that they could have won. So who is that on? The players? Yes. The coaches? Yes. Could we have overcome that lousy play and lousy coaching if we had all our injured guys? Sure, because we'd be a vastly more talented team than Houston, one that should win by 15, so we'd manage a 4 point win.

That's what I've seen the last two years. A team that plays below its capabilities almost every single game.

Apart from Enoch -- and underage big men are notoriously slow to develop -- you are basically putting your finger on this year's senior class. They appear to be -- how can I say this politely -- a bit dim. Slow learners. Remember they came in at a time of recruiting handicaps and uncertainty for the program. UConn was begging for players and couldn't be choosy.

Recruiting has picked up and there's every reason to think we've gotten smarter and more talented players recently. Jalen Adams has improved substantially. I think these concerns about Ollie will dissipate by March 2018.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom