We have the 20th best recruiting class coming in | The Boneyard

We have the 20th best recruiting class coming in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know the sky is falling and the AAC is killing us and the recruiting staff can't close, but there are about 331 other schools who would gladly trade recruiting classes with us, at least according to 247. ESPN has us at 21, even though they conspire against us with every waking moment.

Deep breaths.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I know the sky is falling and the AAC is killing us and the recruiting staff can't close, but there are about 331 other schools who would gladly trade recruiting classes with us, at least according to 247. ESPN has us at 21, even though they conspire against us with every waking moment.

Deep breaths.
been saying that... for missing the tournament in '13 bc of that bullshlt, to being left in the AAC, ollie is doing the best he can and he's doing a pretty good job both on and off the court

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The class is solely based off of Adams.

So, yeah, he's a huge get but two players incoming and only one we can expect to contribute right away doesn't erase the concerns many of us have about quality depth.

Reaction Score
The great thing is we are recruiting guys who will be here a few years too. Some of the best ranked classes are going to have boom or bust, one and done type guys.

Reaction Score
I'm thrilled with Adams and Enoch but why we are sitting with 3 open scholarships is beyond me...

Reaction Score
I know the sugar coaters will find every way imaginable to ignore the pattern of misses...but when you're coming of a NC, just extend your popular young coach, and open up a state-of-the-art facility, the 20th best class doesn't sound that impressive.

Maybe all these concerns end up looking foolish a few years from now; it wouldn't be the first time that's happened. But the patterns we've been seeing and - more importantly - the schools UConn has been losing out to are a bit concerning.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We've recruited two players - one good and one great - but needed to recruit at least four.

The 280 schools looking up to us are meaningless when we're actually competing to be one of the ten best programs on the court.

They need to do better.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Who on our list is still available?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The ones who are still considering us aren't game changers. This isn't counting people who are decommiting and previously passed on us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
We've recruited two players - one good and one great - but needed to recruit at least four.

This is the problem. A team with two outstanding players, one good player, and mediocrity around it is going to be merely decent. We needed more players, preferably ones who could contribute one significant skill.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This is the problem. A team with two outstanding players, one good player, and mediocrity around it is going to be merely decent. We needed more players, preferably ones who could contribute one significant skill.

That's basically it - we just need more talent.

Not to run down some of the kids we already have, but we have some holes, particularly at power forward.

Statistically, our numbers at power forward are worse than bad - when you have a core role player who scores on about seven percent of his possessions and turns the ball over on nearly one-third, you have issues.

The scoring issues may abate some with the natural progression of players, but I definitely think the inability to land another guard/wing in this class will hurt for several years if it isn't rectified.

Reaction Score

We recruited about 20 players, but only 2 committed. That is the problem. Too many swing and misses.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Right now, the list is chaotic.

Our list of possible high school players is very small - Brown and whoever may decommit elsewhere. It doesn't appear they've cracked many of those lists thus far. I don't believe the fourth-run point prospects actually have firm offers from UConn right now.

Our list of possible transfers is opaque - who can tell. Miller, Harris and then...we have no idea.

Reaction Score
I'm thrilled with Adams and Enoch but why we are sitting with 3 open scholarships is beyond me...
This is the issue. Love the 2 kids coming, but we need to fill out the roster.

Maybe KO has had plans all along to add grad transfer, which is great, but he has had plenty of time to fill Ali's and Jackson's schollys

Reaction Score
The great thing is we are recruiting guys who will be here a few years too. Some of the best ranked classes are going to have boom or bust, one and done type guys.

And if we learned anything last night it's that one and done type players don't win you anything.

Incidentally, is anyone actually reassured by the notion that Florida Gulf Coast or Prairie View A&M would want to trade recruiting classes?

Reaction Score
I'm wanting a guard more than a big man, hoping Enoch can fill that big role, although people on this board have sounded mixed on what he can give us. If he's Phil or Kentan then we need one of those too. I'm quite sure the staff is not sitting around with their feet up, and our roster certainly wouldn't scare a player wanting PT.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I thought this was an interesting insight about Krzyzewski:

This game was never going to pass Krzyzewski by. He has been at it for nearly 40 years, rolling with the changes from decade to decade, but the past five years have been nothing shy of a sea change in college hoops.

To win the high-stakes game at the highest level, you have to figure out how to get players who are essentially stopping by to play like they've been around forever. Bo Ryan took a shot at the system after the loss -- "We don't do rent-a-player," he said -- but Krzyzewski had to find a way to invest in guys who are still on borrowed time.

Back in October, he explained his philosophy, saying that he intentionally didn't cast a wide net when he went shopping for special freshmen, preferring instead to focus his time on just a few players he truly wanted.

He hoped that would help cultivate an earlier relationship, since their time together in college would be brief.

"With guys who aren't going to be here long, what we've tried to do is get to know [them] even better before they get to Duke,'' Krzyzewski said.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I'm wanting a guard more than a big man, hoping Enoch can fill that big role, although people on this board have sounded mixed on what he can give us. If he's Phil or Kentan then we need one of those too. I'm quite sure the staff is not sitting around with their feet up, and our roster certainly wouldn't scare a player wanting PT.

I personally would rather have low expectations of Enoch and be pleasantly surprised than build him up into something he isn't yet. I think that was one of the main causes of discontent among the fanbase this past season.

Reaction Score
Just to further add to the point: We got our a$$es kicked over the past four years on NESPAC kids - including last year, which was disappointing. It's a trend that Ollie seems to have reversed:

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/rankings/new-england-class-of-2012
http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/rankings/new-england-class-of-2013
http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/rankings/new-england-class-of-2014
http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/rankings/new-england-class-of-2015

I hope Brown reclassifies and we land him. And then we can shutter these threads for a bit.

Reaction Score
When was our last successful recruiting haul and when was the one prior to that? It feels like the trend of lean years between hits is growing

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Just to further add to the point: We got our a$$es kicked over the past four years on NESPAC kids - including last year, which was disappointing. It's a trend that Ollie seems to have reversed:

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/rankings/new-england-class-of-2012
http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/rankings/new-england-class-of-2013
http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/rankings/new-england-class-of-2014
http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/rankings/new-england-class-of-2015

I hope Brown reclassifies and we land him. And then we can shutter these threads for a bit.

If that happens, I fail to see how this class would be different from a typical late-Calhoun era class. Except it wouldn't have the role players that we've all grown so averse to.

Reaction Score
When was our last successful recruiting haul...
Since 2013 produced two guys who immediately contributed to a national championship team, I'm gonna say that one.

If you're talking the last consensus top 20 class, that'd be 2011 when we brought in Drummond, Boatright & Daniels.

If you're talking the last class that brought in two five-star talents, then that'd be last year's (Hamilton & Purvis).

If you're talking the last class the Boneyard didn't complain about, then you'd have to go back to the days before the internet was invented.

Reaction Score
Purvis is a different category than last year's recruiting class. Yes, he's a great player and we now have him, but it's a different category.

Reaction Score
Purvis is a different category than last year's recruiting class. Yes, he's a great player and we now have him, but it's a different category.
I judge a recruiting class by how many talented players arrive, and don't particularly care whether they're high schoolers, prep, JuCo, transfers or 5th-year eligibles.

Which means I should re-form my 2013 blurb: We brought in four guys, three of whom were essential to our national title run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom