We Have Problems, Good Problems | Page 4 | The Boneyard

We Have Problems, Good Problems

Reaction Score
Someone always ends up being adversely affected as talent is added, and before AK's decision i'd have suspected the freshmen, who 3 months ago probably envisioned themselves coming into a different situation & being able to contribute right away, would face the most disappointment from the additions of McNeeley & Mahaney.. But now, with AK sliding back into the 4 (or 1 of the 3 wing positions is a more accurate description based on how we use the 5 positions) i feel like either Solo or Stewart is going to be taking a step back... albeit not a huge one, but still.. in the times we are living in, that's usually enough for a kid to bolt. I trust these 2 are different though, and fully committed for the rare opportunity this season brings with it. Immortality is on the table boys. Fuckin A
I’d be shocked if Stewart doesn’t play 20-23 minutes on average. I think this depth will allow Hurley to play the kind of pressure defense he really wants to play.

Reaction Score
This is great news for all of us. Our team will be very good and certainly challenge for a BE regular and tourney title. And take a run at a three peat. But I really would be careful to dismiss the thought about who gets cut out of the playing time.

Abraham I can see having to accept that he will not see much time. Even without the AK return he was probably last man off bench for the front court. But I am concerned about Ross. I really think he has the skills to be a very good wing or two guard.

But he will really struggle to find PT and I just wonder about chemistry. For a guy like Ross who probably busted it in practice to think about two years doing the same thing without seeing significant minutes has to be a grind.

Honestly if we did not have the staff we do, the chemistry issue would be a larger concern for me. But to think every year we are just going to get buy in from players who feel they deserve to play I think is a bit risky.

I also understand given the way rosters are constructed in the new ncaa that this will become more the norm but as good as Hurley as his staff is human nature at times is a tough thing to control.

None of this is written to diminish the great news we got today with AK but also to acknowledge we have ten players that are all starters or significant contributors on 95% of ncaa bb teams. And one maybe two of those players will be lucky to average 4-5 minutes a game. Not play 4 minutes a game but average that because they will see more time during the blow outs when the game is decided.
In the past I would have agreed about Ross but not in this new era of NIL, unlimited transfers, revenue sharing, etc.

To me, Ross looked like an anxious freshman when he played. He's a scorer and wanted to score. He wanted to do something for the team but hasn't figured out that even proven veterans like AK and CS passed up shots so others would have a better shot.

DH has found the secret sauce and he's going to play the guys that play the way our system demands. The proof is how much JS grew and his playing time increased. If DH "three peats" he's in John Wooden territory and he's not gong to play guys that seem to think the way to get more playing time is to jack up off balance three's from two feet beyond the arc.

Reaction Score
I’d be shocked if Stewart doesn’t play 20-23 minutes on average. I think this depth will allow Hurley to play the kind of pressure defense he really wants to play.
He said as much on podcast. The strength of this team is depth and pressure defense will be job one which means 9-12 guys play and wear opponents down. The winning formula will be different thus year

Reaction Score
He said as much on podcast. The strength of this team is depth and pressure defense will be job one which means 9-12 guys play and wear opponents down. The winning formula will be different thus year
yep. unlike 22-23, we may not have that top-tier talent( but are darn close imo) we can destroy teams mentally with so many players that can come in and out of the game.

Reaction Score
when everyone has bought into Hurley’s system and can play it at a high level we can have 8-10 guys that have been able to wear other teams out.
We will know early if this will be another magic year.

Also, most important, the coaching staff is all back. They have two rings each (except for Tom Moore with 4).
All last week I thought for sure I had jinxed us big time with the comment about the coaches.
Feeling better about this now and can’t wait for the season to start.

Reaction Score
All last week I thought for sure I had jinxed us big time with the comment about the coaches.
Feeling better about this now and can’t wait for the season to start.
And AK believes the team has as much if not better talent than the last 2 championship teams. Throw them in the cauldron and have the coaches season and stir.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom