We Have Problems, Good Problems | Page 3 | The Boneyard

We Have Problems, Good Problems

Reaction Score
2 spots for the 4 guards. I personally think Mahaney and Ball will start but I feel like I'm in the minority with this opinion.
I am with you. I had this thought driving into work this morning. I have tried to do a little research to see if he played any point St. Mary's but haven't found much yet. I wonder if he sees himself at 6'3 180 being more of an NBA point guard and wants to play that here.

Reaction Score
When was the last time (probably last year) we had TWO TOP 25 ROSTERS on our team.

Reaction Score
I am with you. I had this thought driving into work this morning. I have tried to do a little research to see if he played any point St. Mary's but haven't found much yet. I wonder if he sees himself at 6'3 180 being more of an NBA point guard and wants to play that here.
At a quick glance it looks like Mahaney was off the ball more this year but was more of a point guard as a freshman. I think he plays more point here so I will go with a Mahaney/Ball/Stewart/Karaban/Johnson starting 5.

Reaction Score
I wonder if AK might even play the 5 occasionally. Given that Johnson and Reed probably won’t contribute much offensively, on a regular basis, playing AK at center might be helpful against smaller, quicker teams, especially if everyone else hits the boards as well as Spencer, Newton, and Castle did last year.
Why won't Reed and Johnson contribute offensively? Last year they averaged 5.4 and 9.0 respectively. Increase of 2/game each, wouldn't you take 18.4 pts/game from the Centers? Throw in Singare and a few cameos by Alex at 5, and you might be getting 20ppg from the 5.

evmore

FRIENDOftheprogram
Reaction Score
Someone always ends up being adversely affected as talent is added, and before AK's decision i'd have suspected the freshmen, who 3 months ago probably envisioned themselves coming into a different situation & being able to contribute right away, would face the most disappointment from the additions of McNeeley & Mahaney.. But now, with AK sliding back into the 4 (or 1 of the 3 wing positions is a more accurate description based on how we use the 5 positions) i feel like either Solo or Stewart is going to be taking a step back... albeit not a huge one, but still.. in the times we are living in, that's usually enough for a kid to bolt. I trust these 2 are different though, and fully committed for the rare opportunity this season brings with it. Immortality is on the table boys. Fuckin A

Reaction Score
Agreed with this.

2 spots for the 4 guards. I personally think Mahaney and Ball will start but I feel like I'm in the minority with this opinion. Hurley repeatedly has talked about Hassan's role and how he excelled in it last year. I think Solo makes a huge jump. Diarra and Nowell off the bench give us two sparks.

2 spots for AK/Stewie/Liam. Ross has a chance to play if he proves he can consistently knock down jumpers and if we're forced to play AK as a small ball 4 a bit more than we'd like. Abraham will wait his turn this year but has a big future.

1 spot for Samson/Tarris. Sammy as an incumbent may currently be in the driver's seat to start, but I think he is a much better fit as an energy big off the bench. His propensity to foul also hurts his chances to start. For Youssouf, it will be another developmental year...but a big year for him to determine if he can be a true rotational piece behind TRJ in 2025/26.
Did you mean "small ball 5"?

awy

Reaction Score
it's pretty important to get the best perimeter defenders on the team enough minutes. diarra is very important in this regard but so is solo who has elite defensive mobility and length. to be bulletproof you need guys who can be stoppers on defense in march just to have them when the adjustments need to be made.

Reaction Score
Don't be shocked when UCONN goes small and we don't have a true center on the court. This team will be able to spread out their opponents and work Hurley's cuts and back doors for lots of easy baskets. Lots of very good shooters on this team. Should be lots of fun!
Agreed. The Knicks did OK even when Hartenstein wasn't on the floor, so we'll be fine. And AK can play a little at the 5 even if Reed and SJ get some fouls. Hurley will be running the closest thing to an NBA team in college.

Reaction Score
The minutes always end up working out. Stewart/Abraham/McNeeley/Ross/Karaban will fight for those minutes at the 3 and 4. Best men will win.

In all likelihood 3/5 will get the bulk of the minutes (25 or so) and 1 other will get spot minutes like Stewart did this year. It's a good recipe for success.

Looks like Hurley routinely finds minutes for at least 9 guys.

2023-24 mins breakdown

Tristen: 33.2
Cam: 33.0
Karaban: 31.4
Castle: 27
DC: 22.5
Diarra: 19.4
Samson: 16.0
Solo: 11.4
Stewie: 8.9

2022-23 mins breakdown

Hawk: 29.4
Andre: 29.1
Karaban: 28.9
Tristen: 28.8
Sanogo: 26.5
Alleyne: 18.0
Joey: 14.5
Clingan: 13.1
Diarra: 12.6

2021-22

Cole: 33.5
Martin: 32.1
Sanogo: 29.2
Andre: 29.2
Whaley: 28.5
Polley: 20.2
Hawk: 14.7
Akok: 13.9
Gaffney: 12.8

Reaction Score
Anyone heard anything about Andrew Hurley's status for next year? Is he coming back as a grad student? Would be nice to see him run up his undefeated mark in games he played some more.

Reaction Score
Well, since I was there for nearly all of St. Mary's home games the last two years, I probably should chime in:

Aidan did play a lot of PG as a freshman, and also for roughly the first third of the season last year... But Marciulonis, who had been slightly disappointing his first two years, started reaching his potential at the point and mostly took over. This didn't reduce Aidan to simply a catch-and-shoot guy and he still ran things sometimes in the halfcourt.

I'm not saying Aidan lost his spot, just that his role changed due to the performance of others. He is extremely coachable and will fit into whatever role Hurley wants him to do.

I do think Aidan was frustrated at times with Bennett's cautious slow-it-down-unless-there's-an-obvious-layup system, but I strongly doubt that's going to be an issue with the stable of greyhounds on the UConn roster.

Reaction Score
Anyone heard anything about Andrew Hurley's status for next year? Is he coming back as a grad student? Would be nice to see him run up his undefeated mark in games he played some more.
There was an article shortly after the championship game where he said he was moving on to the next chapter of his life.

Reaction Score
Looks like Hurley routinely finds minutes for at least 9 guys.

2023-24 mins breakdown

Tristen: 33.2
Cam: 33.0
Karaban: 31.4
Castle: 27
DC: 22.5
Diarra: 19.4
Samson: 16.0
Solo: 11.4
Stewie: 8.9

2022-23 mins breakdown

Hawk: 29.4
Andre: 29.1
Karaban: 28.9
Tristen: 28.8
Sanogo: 26.5
Alleyne: 18.0
Joey: 14.5
Clingan: 13.1
Diarra: 12.6

2021-22

Cole: 33.5
Martin: 32.1
Sanogo: 29.2
Andre: 29.2
Whaley: 28.5
Polley: 20.2
Hawk: 14.7
Akok: 13.9
Gaffney: 12.8

some of this is a tad misleading, but I get your point. For example:

21-22, Gaffney was not playing in big games when it mattered.

22-23, same story with Diarra. But we were deep that year.

23-24 Solo's #s tanked. Did he play at all in either tournament outside of garbage time?

Reaction Score
some of this is a tad misleading, but I get your point. For example:

21-22, Gaffney was not playing in big games when it mattered.

22-23, same story with Diarra. But we were deep that year.

23-24 Solo's #s tanked. Did he play at all in either tournament outside of garbage time?

Yeah of course. Was kinda surprised Solos was so high

Reaction Score
I agree a 9-man rotation would be unlikely to maintain going into March, but if the transfers and freshmen pan out, and sophs make a jump, I think an 8-man rotation would be very possible.
Agreed. Two years ago we used 8 through March with Joey C, Alleyne, and Clingan off the bench. Even Hass got a few minutes here and there.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
We'll have a 9 man rotation this year. Singare, Abraham and Ross will sit. Hurley and company will spread the minutes among AK, Nowell, McNeeley, Diarra, Johnson, Stewart, Ball, Reed, and Mahaney.
Possibly 10; with Abraham seeing time at least for defensive purposes.

Reaction Score
Possibly 10; with Abraham seeing time at least for defensive purposes.
I think there's a stronger chance Ross, in year 2 with the program, becomes a 10th guy than Abraham. But I think both guys have bright futures with the program.

Reaction Score
Dan has said he thinks this is his most talented team since being at UConn-Top to Bottom. I can see why he would say that . Talent and depth at all 5 positions. Practices and scrimmages are going to be pretty intense. Would pay for admission to see them.

A new and different challenge for the coaching staff. Rotating talented guys in and out of the lineups. Confident they'll figure it out.

Reaction Score
It may initially be a 9 man, it will be 7 guys come march. There’s been a strong trend of the better teams going with shorter benches at the end of the year.
If we end up with a 7 man rotation, Solo and Stewart did not pan out. I do not believe that will happen. Those two will come off the bench for this team, and that is sick! For my money, Mahaney, HD, Ian, AK and Reed start, which means that Solo, Stewart, Nowell, SJ and Abraham come off the bench. This is a better/deeper/more talented bench than two years ago, and definitely better than last year's team. , these guys coming off the bench could earn an at large bid. This is a deep, talented team. DH and staff has a real challenge in terms of bringing them all together. May we have problems like this for a hundred years!!!

temery

What?
Reaction Score
If we end up with a 7 man rotation, Solo and Stewart did not pan out. I do not believe that will happen. Those two will come off the bench for this team, and that is sick! For my money, Mahaney, HD, Ian, AK and Reed start, which means that Solo, Stewart, Nowell, SJ and Abraham come off the bench. This is a better/deeper/more talented bench than two years ago, and definitely better than last year's team. , these guys coming off the bench could earn an at large bid. This is a deep, talented team. DH and staff has a real challenge in terms of bringing them all together. May we have problems like this for a hundred years!!!

The more players in rotation the more UConn starts to look like Duke or Kentucky.

It's nice to have a couple players a year leave for the NBA. It's a good thing. But there's a point where more is not better. I've coached teams loaded with stars, and team chemistry became a real problem.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It may initially be a 9 man, it will be 7 guys come march. There’s been a strong trend of the better teams going with shorter benches at the end of the year.
This teams strength is depth, 9-10 will play. Playing 7 would be doing the competition a favor.

Reaction Score
Those two teams are stacked but Bama is scarier because they have the best player IMO. Maybe the best two.
This is the team to keep your eyes on. They could be just as good if not better. I expect we will meet up with them early April next year

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Misleading title. We don’t have a problem although now others teams do

Correction

They have a "bigger" problem

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads