We have Boat, They Don't | The Boneyard

We have Boat, They Don't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn has been blessed with stellar point guards over the years. Tonight we celebrate the senior night for one of the best to even don a UConn jersey, Ryan Boatright. Boatright is in the top ten all-time in both scoring and assists for our storied program. He has won a National Championship and was named to the Final Four All-Tournament Team. He has met and surpassed all expectations in his time as a Husky. But his career is not yet over.

When our team was doubted in 2011 or 2014, we all knew a secret: we had the best player on the floor and that always gives you a chance to win. Boat does not have the same supporting cast as Kemba and Shabazz, and he may not be quite as dominant as his PG predecessors. But the fact still remains, in nearly all games we play in, Ryan Boatright will be the best player on the floor, and it will give us a chance to win.

Boatright has excelled all season, but our supporting cast has been agonizingly inconsistent. Just like in conference realignment, Murphy's Law applies to our season to date. Two straight games where last second threes defeat us by one point?! Are you kidding me? Boatright, Purvis, Calhoun, Samuel, Cassell Jr., Nolan, and Lubin have all been banged up throughout the year. We are young, we lost a ton from last year, and we have a target on our backs as the defending National Champs. But all of that is behind us now. It's now March, UConn's time to shine.

Tonight will be a good indicator of how this season will play out. We have 4 very talented players who you can feel good about (Boat, DHam, Brimah, Purvis) along with some proven glue guys. We have won 6 of our last 8 games and we're playing our best basketball of the season. Guys have finally found their roles on the team, and we're starting to gel. We have beaten the conference's top three teams in Hartford by an average of 13 points (thanks, Tulsa). We all know where the conference tournament is held this year.

It's been a difficult season, there's no denying that. But it's now March, we're playing our best ball of the season, and we control our own destiny. That's how we do it at UConn. And in this final stretch, I'll be glad we have an explosive, veteran point guard with championship experience at the helm. We have Boat, and no one else does.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Boat rules!!!

And he's a nice guy too!

Always smiling and happy when asked to take a picture. This is from personal experience.

Reaction Score
In Boat's college career:
USC: 42-84
WVU: 71-57, 0-1 NCAAT
UConn: 89-43, 6-1 NCAAT

Happy USC and WVU were "Boatwrong" about Boatright.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
In Boat's college career:
USC: 42-84
WVU: 71-57, 0-1 NCAAT
UConn: 89-43, 6-1 NCAAT

Happy USC and WVU were "Boatwrong" about Boatright.

Let's not forget to thank Jabarie Hinds! (who!?, lol)

Also, great post by the OP. Love the boatshow!

Reaction Score
Jalen but you have some mighty big shoes to fill. I hope we Yarders are not expecting the world from you next year because the OP's title will apply to us next year.

I wish I was at the game and be able to scream/yell/chant for the admins to put his jersey on that wall!

Reaction Score
I love this young man. I will miss him but I will be happy that playing basketball is in his future. God bless Ryan and full speed ahead.

Reaction Score
UConn was the best choice considering USC or anywhere else. I am so glad it worked out for him. He came in as a boy and is leaving as a Man, a better Man! He also became a leader of men. NBA or not he will be just fine. He'll always be welcomed in the State of CT, especially Storrs.

A true Senior and one of best four year players!

Reaction Score
In my opinion he is every bit the player that Kemba, and Bazz were. Heart of a lion.

Reaction Score
In my opinion he is every bit the player that Kemba, and Bazz were. Heart of a lion.

Have to say he definitely has their heart and maybe more. He did amazing things with very little this year.

Having saids that he's not quite them and they both would have won that game Thursday. Not talking about the last shot here, just the overall game. He was too much of himself his soph year the other night, cutting the mustard and one-on-one stuff rather than playing to win as a team. He was a huge factor in the loss.

Hopefully he finds a way to the promised land so I can take this back, but he's not quite as good as either of them but it is a good argument for sure.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
love Boat, all heart

Reaction Score
I can't find it in myself to ever be disappointed with Boat or 1/2 the guys on this team. Without all those guys we wouldn't have a 4th banner hanging from Gampel. Truth is, we still have a fighting chance of winning the AAC tournament on our home court. Senior night may have been heartbreaking, but I'm sure our first conference championship in the AAC could patch that wound real fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom