We have a really good team | The Boneyard

We have a really good team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think people have to take in perspective we LOST Deandre Daniels to early draft status AND 4 seniors who all played big roles? We have a LOT of talent--we shouldve won a few additional games--2 in particular were freak losses. I cant cry about losing to a team who basically has lost to one team since they got Kennedy back. Perhaps KO takes a look at what Cincy did in terms of a tight zone and applies it the next time we play? Otherwise we are looking up? We have won4 NC's--last year when we lost to Louisville by 30 it was pretty bad around here but in retrospect look at the change the following weeks?. Why cant people be satisfied that were doing the best we can--that we have some nice players and good one's coming in. We have a solid coaching staff and a great history. Just take the famdom for what it is--have fun being a fan--root for the team but at this point criticism should be left in the back pocket -its honestly not justified. We played a hard schedule for the most part and were still playing .600 ball. Lets root the team on the last several games--get behind the team--lets finish strong and let the chips fly where they may.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I think people have to take in perspective we LOST Deandre Daniels to early draft status AND 4 seniors who all played big roles? We have a LOT of talent--we shouldve won a few additional games--2 in particular were freak losses. I cant cry about losing to a team who basically has lost to one team since they got Kennedy back. Perhaps KO takes a look at what Cincy did in terms of a tight zone and applies it the next time we play? Otherwise we are looking up? We have won4 NC's--last year when we lost to Louisville by 30 it was pretty bad around here but in retrospect look at the change the following weeks?. Why cant people be satisfied that were doing the best we can--that we have some nice players and good one's coming in. We have a solid coaching staff and a great history. Just take the famdom for what it is--have fun being a fan--root for the team but at this point criticism should be left in the back pocket -its honestly not justified. We played a hard schedule for the most part and were still playing .600 ball. Lets root the team on the last several games--get behind the team--lets finish strong and let the chips fly where they may.

I'm guessing you've already requested time off of work for this year's championship parade.

Reaction Score
Ha ha! We support the team but see how flawed it is. Either way I'm watching all their games for the rest of the season. Go Huskies!!! We can win the AAC Tourney! Well I hope we have a chance. LOL!

Reaction Score
We all support the team. But I'm sad to tell you scrap this is not a "really good team".

Reaction Score
I get where's he's coming from. All the majority of posters do is b!tch and moan around here like a bunch of spoiled little brats around here. Phil this, Rodney that, blah blah, boo hoo. Get over it, this team needs to develop a bit, happens...is this the first time it's happened?......we lost literally EVERYONE but Boat and everyone expected us to be generally the same team?

Reaction Score
I get where's he's coming from. All the majority of posters do is b!tch and moan around here like a bunch of spoiled little brats around here. Phil this, Rodney that, blah blah, boo hoo. Get over it, this team needs to develop a bit, happens...is this the first time it's happened?.we lost literally EVERYONE but Boat and everyone expected us to be generally the same team?

Agree. But while there are the bitchers and moaners there's also the "rah rah" don't quit on the team guys. Reality is no good fan will contrary to their posts critiquing the players. We all have hope for a run right up to the AAC tourney but in the back of most of our minds we deem this close to USA beating the Russians in Lake Placid. It's reality but as you say, it's not the first time.

Reaction Score
I get where's he's coming from. All the majority of posters do is b!tch and moan around here like a bunch of spoiled little brats around here. Phil this, Rodney that, blah blah, boo hoo. Get over it, this team needs to develop a bit, happens...is this the first time it's happened?.we lost literally EVERYONE but Boat and everyone expected us to be generally the same team?

Exactly--there is no reason to be negative right now. Its really strange that we can win an NC--we played VERY well Ollies first year and then people can sound off like they could do a better job than him? I don't think thats being loyal or smart as a fan. We had 2 devastating last second losses and they HAVE come back to haunt us--no doubt about that. We have a chance now to win out the rest of the regular season and let the chips fly where they may post season in Hartford. I think being positive and send positive vibes out to the team is the right thing to do.

Reaction Score
I think folks have aright to complain and "whine" on the BY.

Yes we just won a Chip and lost 4 players but this team was preseason top 15. We had Boat coming back, Brimah was going to step up, a top 20 (RIVALS) recruit and Purvis ready to fill some of Bazz production. We were preseaon #1 in the conference and now its look like a 4th place finish conference and most likely headed to NIT.

We're UConn so I will always be disappointed when we dont make the tourny.

Reaction Score
Yes we'll watch and root but most of us are quite happy with KO and staff and our program's success, who wouldn't be? But we're trying to figure out what we'll need to get back to being nationally competitive. I happen to know some sportscasters. If I go up to one of them and say "UCONN has a really good team this year!" , I get fitted for a straight jacket. The way I see it, and I've said this on this board a number of times, it's not sacrilege to talk about each player's merits and what it's going to take to improve, and I don't get why that's always said be negativity, or being a disloyal fan. Actually it's being the best type of fan. Ripping players because they are seemingly not trying or accomplishing, I hate that, because I think these kids go out there every time with the right intentions and sometimes fall short, and sometimes that's flat out the other team's play or lack of their own skills.

Reaction Score
Yes, I know a lot of good teams that lose to Yale at home and Houston on the road.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We have the talent. We're missing energy for a full 40, size upfront, aggression, and most of all experience and maturity. Next year we will learn from this year the same way Bazz learned after his sophomore year. Hopefully we get stone or another nice big or two to go with the studs coming in next year, in adams and enoch

Reaction Score
College athletics, as we know, is a huge multi billion dollar business. Our coach gets paid about 3 million a year. Our players showcase their talents on national television. I pay a ton money to take my family to see them play.............criticizing their ON court performance is fair game. The bar is high at UConn. These kids, this coach, knows that coming in.

Reaction Score
jibsey said:
Yes we'll watch and root but most of us are quite happy with KO and staff and our program's success, who wouldn't be? But we're trying to figure out what we'll need to get back to being nationally competitive. I happen to know some sportscasters. If I go up to one of them and say "UCONN has a really good team this year!" , I get fitted for a straight jacket. The way I see it, and I've said this on this board a number of times, it's not sacrilege to talk about each player's merits and what it's going to take to improve, and I don't get why that's always said be negativity, or being a disloyal fan. Actually it's being the best type of fan. Ripping players because they are seemingly not trying or accomplishing, I hate that, because I think these kids go out there every time with the right intentions and sometimes fall short, and sometimes that's flat out the other team's play or lack of their own skills.

We were clearly ranked strictly on potential at the beginning of the season. As I said from the start, every single player in the rotation has a different role. As the year has progressed the holes in our rotation have clearly shown themselves, although it certainly didn't help to have the issues we did during the early season schedule when team cohesiveness is built. We went behind the 8 ball quick with some bad losses and injuries to Boat, Calhoun, and Purvis.

There's a big difference between saying a player sucks, which happens often, versus talking about a player needs to improve.

And we expected Brimah to improve dramatically based off of what, an and 1 in the tourney? He missed a lot of the offseason with his shoulder issue and still has only been playing a few years.

Reaction Score
djct1999 said:
College athletics, as we know, is a huge multi billion dollar business. Our coach gets paid about 3 million a year. Our players showcase their talents on national television. I pay a ton money to take my family to see them play...criticizing their ON court performance is fair game. The bar is high at UConn. These kids, this coach, knows that coming in.

Huh? You paid for the right to criticize the players? Maybe we should ask Warde to schedule a fan apology day where we can all go see the team so they can ask us to forgive them.

Reaction Score
There's nothing wrong w/ positivity and yes, this place has become a cesspool of bitching and moaning about any and everything. However, we are coming off an 18 point loss in a game that wasn't even that close. I get that we played a better team, but we quit and were outclassed in all ways. So with that reality and the realities of us losing 9 other games, including at home to Yale and to a winless Houston team, I have a really tough time calling us a "really good" team. I'd have no problem if the OP had said we are a "developing" team or "rebuilding" team with his sentiments about who we lost. But really good? Simply not true and it comes across as another "shiny happy people" post by Scrappy. This is the same cat who said Lubin would be a lottery pick, Boatright is a 1st round draft pick, and wondered not if, but how many 30 and 15 games Amida would have this year.

Reaction Score
Many fans complaining have more UConn paraphernalia in their homes than the so called 100% cheerleaders will ever see. Its easy to rah rah rah for some, while others have a 'vested' interest in seeing UConn succeed and perform to UConn standards and are frustrated right now.

No fan here is jumping off a bandwagon, and not all fans are alike. Some are frustrated, some are understanding and others will always wear rose colored glasses.

All I'm saying is that there is no need to scold or attempt to call out complainers, just allow free speech and agree or disagree.

Just because one fan complains and the other one always cheers doesn't make one more of a fan than the other.

StingLykOllie

How do I change my name...
Reaction Score
By my math, four titles in 16 years means that we have about 3 more years of waiting until another one. I can live with 5 titles in 20 years.

Reaction Score
Many fans complaining have more UConn paraphernalia in their homes than the so called 100% cheerleaders will ever see. Its easy to rah rah rah for some, while others have a 'vested' interest in seeing UConn succeed and perform to UConn standards and are frustrated right now.

No fan here is jumping off a bandwagon, and not all fans are alike. Some are frustrated, some are understanding and others will always wear rose colored glasses.

All I'm saying is that there is no need to scold or attempt to call out complainers, just allow free speech and agree or disagree.

Just because one fan complains and the other one always cheers doesn't make one more of a fan than the other.
This

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I think people have a right to whine and moan and I think people have a right to be rah rah. I think people have a right to support the opinion backed by evidence and I think people have the right to say things that belie the evidence i.e. be logical or whimsical. I think there are advantages to both and disadvantages to both. I think people have the right to be supportive or critical. I think people have the right to participate or stay aloof. I think opinions are critical and unimportant at the same time. But I could be wrong about all this.

I think we see things differently and that is both advantageous and detrimental. Too many opinions can result in chaos or anarchy. Too few opinions can result or be the result of suppression or dictatorship. But I could be wrong about this.

Some people want things to be nice and neat, predictable and non threatening. Some people enjoy complexity and change. That's a tension that is difficult to resolve. Same with all the other points I've made. Some of us think that our ideas can fix the world. Some of us believe that every answer that fixes something creates it's own set of problems that can destroy the world. But I could be wrong about this.

Some of us look for solutions that help large numbers of people. Some of us look for solutions that only help ourselves. Some of us believe we can detect the difference. Some of us believe we can be fooled. But I could be wrong about this.

IMO it is all good and all bad and it can be both at the same time or at different times. And none of us will be able to prove it even as we believe we are proving it. But I could be wrong about this.

However I could be right about any or all of the points I've made.

Now if one of you can prove yourself to be a supreme being that is "all knowing", I'll support your opinion without reservation. Since I haven't seen any evidence of this individual on the Boneyard I'll refrain from believing any opinion expressed here is sacrosanct. And that includes myself. So be like me. Hold me and yourself accountable to fallibility. Or don't.

Reaction Score
What does one mean when one says "talent"?

Boat is talented on both sides if the ball.

Dham is talented. Has good offensive skills which should develop into great offensive skills. He's our best rebounder and has the skill set to be a really good defender.

Brimah is a talented shot blocker and oop catcher. He has a lot of work to do on the rest of his game.

RP has limited skills his lack of length (short arms) limites him offensively. Also he hasn't shown the explosiveness he had in high school. Maybe that will change. He has become a decent 3pt shooter but no much of anything else.

Omar is limited also. A 3pt shooter who either looks like he can't miss or why is he shooting. A liability everywhere else.

Facey showed skills early. It looks like he has talent but lack of early development (primary school) has hurt him. He would have gained the most by DD staying. Wouldn't have to play major minutes and could have learned from someone who worked hard to improve his game.

As for the rest. I just don't see the skill sets to say they are talented. One might question whether SCJR id talented. Well maybe playing against junior college competition but age wise he's a junior. Tsam has been exposed on both sides if the ball.

Please define talent for me. Maybe I'm missing something.

Reaction Score
I'm disappointed for RB . He has been a warrior.
Without DD coming back ,this team was going to have some ups and downs.
I haven't given up , but playing at Memphis, Temple,and even ECU (Cinn lost there)is a tough row for this team. Inexperienced teams have trouble on the road.
I do think the officiating in the AAC is not up to the old Big East.
These guys seem much more swayed by the crowd. That plus the knowledge or confidence to overcome adversity in a hostile environment causes young teams to appear schizophrenic.
If we could win all our home games ,we will have significant confidence going into the tourney. We have been known to rise to the occasion.
Us hardcore fans don't ever give up hope,hopefully we get to have a little officiating edge at home. This team or all young teams need a few breaks to play their best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom